Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:21 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
well acntx, i know better than to pay the south dallas haters any nevermind. i would gladly live and raise a family in desoto
I would too. Im not black, but I certainly have no qualms about raising a family in a neighborhood that has a large African American/Latino population like the Southern burbs do. I love Cedar Hill!

However, since I work near the Tollway and Belt Line and my wife works in Northern Carrollton, we probably wont be living down there. Plano, Carrollton, or Frisco is probably in our future. If it would work for us (work wise) I would live there in a heartbeat.

I do (however) get frustrated when people say they are moving to DFW, identify themselves as black, and everyone automatically suggests the southern burbs. I think people should be able to live wherever they want without fear. Obviously this wasn't the case with the OP this time around, but I had to get that off my chest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 02:31 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,104,736 times
As I stated on another thread: In my time as a poster on city-data, people have gone so far as to state false demographic figures to portray the southern suburbs as "all Black," which sadly in 2010 still carries a negative connotation, as a way to steer the person expressing an interest in one of the southern suburbs (usually someone who isn't Black) to another part of DFW. This also encourages segregation and since this scenario occurs at a much more frequent rate on this forum than someone automatically suggesting a southern suburb for a Black family, it more of a problem. Mention of the area's diverse makeup, that it is mostly middle-class, or that median incomes and educational attainment levels have continued to rise despite demographic changes, are often omitted.

Regardless of the poster's ethnicity, I try and suggest the southern suburbs only to people whose stated criteria (job & commute, home price, etc.) is in line with the area's communities. There are others who seem to believe that their city is "a perfect match" for anyone moving to the area even when it isn't. Rarely, if ever, do the posters living in the suburbs south of Dallas do this.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 AM

965 posts, read 1,885,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

I do (however) get frustrated when people say they are moving to DFW, identify themselves as black, and everyone automatically suggests the southern burbs. I think people should be able to live wherever they want without fear. Obviously this wasn't the case with the OP this time around, but I had to get that off my chest.
Oh, but when I said that blacks moving to Dallas were "encouraged" to live south of the Trinity River, it was a problem. Its not as if I just thought that out of the blue when I lived there. My job was in Addison by the Tollway, but the morons I worked with couldn't believe I lived in the northern burbs just like them. One dimwit heifer co-worker actually asked me if I was on Section 8, because why else would I live up that way and how could I afford living up North, since I'm black. Maybe I wanted a short commute like anyone else, black or white. But the Metroplex is a segregated area where the blacks are taught to know their "place" and where they stand, and people like it that way.

On topic, DeSoto is a nice suburb. It may be 55% black at the most, sonthat strikes fear in the hearts of many, since many people think that all black people live in the ghetto. Most of the crticisms about the place come from the transplants who've never set foot south of I-635 and can only go by what others tell them. Most people are stupid and lack critical thinking, so they can only go by rumors and hearsay. I'm pretty sure someone could make up a story about some deadly shooting down in the Best Southwest and say "it happens all the time!" and people would believe it, despite evidence to the contrary.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:33 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Oh, but when I said that blacks moving to Dallas were "encouraged" to live south of the Trinity River, it was a problem.

But the Metroplex is a segregated area where the blacks are taught to know their "place" and where they stand, and people like it that way.
Well, considering that the folks that Ive seen (on CD and real life) encourage new black residents to live in the Southern burbs are themsleves black, its not "whitey" thats trying to put blacks in their place.

I have a friend (who is black) considering a move to Dallas from LA. All of his family and friends here keep trying to steer him to Desoto or Lancaster (and he would work with me by the Galleria) and have scared him half to death about Plano (which is where he wants to live). Im trying to tell him that he would be just fine there and he will should he choose to come here and live in Plano. I know damn well that he would be just fine up there.

As to your last point, I dont buy it. You seem to be programed to that everything is about race. I know way too many African-Americans that live up north that are happy for that to be true.

Perhaps you need to realize that alot of the segregation that does exist in DFW is because people want to be with other people that are like them and not because one race is preforming a subliminal mind-meld, telepathy, or simply forcing one race into a particular place.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:49 PM

28 posts, read 37,625 times
I moved here to the Dallas area from Washington DC area in Oct. 2008. I knew a few people from home who either lived here or had family here and to a person they spoke highly of DeSoto. I was told it was very similar to home. What do I mean. Where I am from we don't have this spirit of there is something wrong with our own people as if being black is a bad thing. In fact, the DC area is majority black. We are just like any community you have your good and bad. I grew up right outside of DC in Upper Marlboro in Prince Georges County, MD. When I visited, I was stunned by the sizes of the homes and the relative low prices and honestly being that I had never spent a day in the deep South, I was encouraged by seeing folks that look like me speaking to each other(more so than even back home where the East Coast lifestyle has hardened people), getting along and being successful, raising their families. I was also encouraged that everyone I saw that was not black seemed comfortable and were polite as well. Nobody was crossing the street, clutching their purses. I said this is the place for me and my family. So I go to the jobsite and everyone was trying to find out where I was looking to move. When I said DeSoto, you would think I said the worst place on the face of the earth. I was immediately "encouraged" to move to Plano and other North Suburbs. Everyone white and even black said this(which as beyond disappointing to me based on how I was raised. I really wish they would realize that all they are doing is letting themselves down). It was almost like it was the company line. I was wondering if folks were getting some kind of finders fee or something. LOL! So me being an East Coaster who has always thought outside the box immediately started putting it together. The only reason they were dissing DeSoto because it has a large number of black folks. Most of the people had never even been down there. So I went to the Hotel I was staying in on our househunting trip and talked to my wife and we decided you know what if its like that where these folks are so judgmental and biased that we decided that DeSoto was the place for us. Why live around people with ignorant attitudes. Plus besides loving the area and it's bed and breakfast appeal it made financial sense to move to DeSoto. To make a long story short we moved into a very affordable big home in a nice neighborhood with neighbors who are also black (I only mention that to prove that WE can get along) who speak to each other and are all from different parts of the country. We also have white, hispanic and middle eastern folks in the neighborhood. Its a nice place. We have found a wonderful church home that is located nearby in Oak Cliff (I can talk for days about the unfair rep that place has). Life is good, we have had no problems and in fact my parents who are facing retirement are talking about relocating here as well to take advantage of the low housing prices so they can play a large part in their new Grandson's life. My family is here now and they are very comfortable in the area. I can't wait for Football season to go support the HS guys. I went to Bball game last year at the HS and found the kids in attendance to be well behaved. It's sad, I still get the negative comments from time to time at work but I am not alone as a few others live in the same and we are all very close. We laugh about and just say hey whatever. It's as if we are in on a joke that no one else gets.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:02 AM

7 posts, read 49,450 times
I am one of the original posters on this thread. I still live in DeSoto and still love it :-) My children are enjoying a second year at their exemplary school. I don't really get frustrated anymore when people second guess my city. Just more apple pie for me!

I am however starting to see more non-black young professional families move into the Desoto/Cedarhill area, so I guess the secret is out. There is enough pie for everyone!

Old 06-18-2013, 07:25 AM

482 posts, read 944,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica2009 View Post
Yes, Desoto is predominately African American and it is middle class and a dynamic area.

I have family in this area and also friends in Far North Dallas.

Southern burbs of Dallas is beautiful, especially Cedar Hill, which gets praise for its diversity.

So just because Desoto is predominately AA doesn't mean that is isn't a great area because it is.

So please, no stereotypes.

To All of You Non-African Americans:
African American is not a synonym for "ghetto".

People here on city data are so quick to label areas ghetto stereotyping AAs.

My advice to anyone when relocating to form your own opinions before taking someone else.

Wow, you really went in for no reason. You really read a lot into his statement. Not cool.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:09 PM

170 posts, read 369,707 times
I am caucasion and just bought in Lancaster, which several people said the same thing about as far as predominently african american, or black, which ever you prefer. In my neighborhood, we are certainly not the only white family. There is a nice mix of people. I am very much enjoying the areas of Lancaster, DeSoto, Cedar Hill. The area is well maintained, nice middle class homes and people. Definitely not the ghetto.

You can find anything from the local walmart to nice restaurants and shopping, especially out in the Cedar Hill area. It all runs together and only takes minutes from my house to way over to 67, so I consider it one and the same. I am very happy to have bought south of Dallas instead of north, where EVERYONE else lives. My commute has less traffic than going up north and I darned near stole the house I bought!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 PM

307 posts, read 531,858 times
Former cowboy Dexter Coakley also said people were only telling him about the north side of town like many do on these boards. He said he didn't know anything about Cedar Hill, but now calls it home. But yes, the secret is out and weekend nights Highway 67 sometimes look like Central Expwy as cars flood into the area. A lot of money being spent in Cedar Hill and businesses are flourishing.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:21 PM

307 posts, read 531,858 times
"It all runs together and only takes minutes from my house to way over to 67, so I consider it one and the same."

You are so right, the towns pull for one another. When all the football teams were advancing towards state we were all pulling for one another in hopes that we could have a united state championship parade moving along the entire Beltline corridor starting in Lancaster with the Tigers, through Desoto with the Eagles, and on to Cedar Hill with the Longhorns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas