Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:39 PM

87 posts, read 399,722 times

Advertisements

It does get cold in MSP during the winter, but the summers are far greener and lush than DFW (plus much less humid). I have friends from TX who can't believe how our flowers and plants are still thriving in late July-August. Though their growing season begins much sooner, I don't have to spend money for termite control here. The mosquitoes may be a pain, but we have no problem with red ants. They seem to love TX !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 08:43 AM

549 posts, read 2,189,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
You got somin against that movie pal. My brother in law actually had a small part in it....everytime someone mentions something in the Chilly north, it makes me think of that dang cheer. For a teen movie, that one was actually pretty good. Carried of course by Kirsten Dunst.

It's Ironic that MN is playing TX on TV tonight....
LOL, no problems here, that movie cracks me up.

Oh an between dallas and minn? I would choose dallas, i gave minny a thought for about a second, rather be hot than cold.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:32 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,048,451 times
Never been to Minneapolis, so I don't know which I prefer... but DFW's population advantage means Dallas can generate a more diverse urban life than Minneapolis. Its easier for a specialized interest group to reach critical mass in DFW than a smaller metro like Minneapolis.

Dallas' massive population growth compared to Minneapolis-St Paul is another indicator of Dallas' advantage. When fewer people choose to move to the Twin Cities than to DFW, you must understand they have their reasons, reasons which are valid for them.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:38 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,733,265 times
Minneapolis reminds me a lot of Austin TX.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:40 PM

424 posts, read 1,811,890 times
I am trying to get the heck out of MN...and I am! Yeah. Minnesota is awesome if...you like to be the highest taxed state in the nation (soon to surpass Vermont, NH and NY!) with our Democrat house and senate in charge...if you like -35 for about 2 weeks a year until it warms up to anywhere from a whopping -15 to about 7 or so. If you hate sunlight, like 2 faced people (corporate dagger mindset), welfare programs, etc. you might be a Minnesotan

The pros which are why I like it here (just not enough to stay) are the great outdoors like camping, fishing, hiking and maybe some of the school systems. But camping can get cold. 90 one day and 50 the next in June.

Even the school systems are not as great as they could be. MN has the mindset that the more money you put into education, the better it gets when in reality it's the amount of time parents spend working and teaching their kids, school pride in teaching and community, discipline as well as variety in the classroom. Kansas City proved that money does not build great schools. BTW: Housing in MN is expensive and market is terrible right now. They also have laws to govern laws!

MN also has the welfare mentality; everyone has more rights than you...even sex offenders (at least that's what we were told at a town hall meeting...for an hour). Legislature has the right to take your wallet; and god forbid you shoot someone breaking into your property. You are going to jail until you prove they were meaning to harm you. If they didn't have a weapon on them and you kill them as they are breaking in, you will be charged with murder. Everyone must be extremely sensitive not to offend anyone because everyone's a winner and you absolutely cannot hurt anyone's feelings, so never tell anyone the truth, just tell your friends about them.

Sorry for the rant. I've lived here all of my life and the last 10 years have gotten pathetic. It is not the great state it once was. I used to love it here, but the old hippies have taken over and now it's all messed up.

Get ready for a viscious corporate climate if you move here. But good luck if you do. I have a house for sale here in MN if you are interested.

Ok...my vote is for....let's see...I'm going for Dallas.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:44 PM

424 posts, read 1,811,890 times
OOps forgot something...MN is also now adding a deed tax for home sales. So you better buy quick here. Gotta get it where you can since we had a 2 bill dollar surplus....we can't live with that, we need at least double that for surplus. That's why the gas tax increase, the deed increase, etc.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:56 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,129,063 times
One of my old co-worker use to say the difference between Wisconsin and Texas was that in Wisconsin, you can't ride your Harley 9 months out of the year because it's too cold. In Texas you can't ride your Harley 9 months out of the year because it's too hot.

(Of course we all know that Wisconsin's cheesier than Minnesota. )

Old 05-24-2007, 06:43 AM
Status: "Repub's IVF ruling is anti-family and anti-America" (set 10 days ago)

5,783 posts, read 3,567,749 times
Catluvr's post is proof positive that "great place" is something you have to define for yourself (not a slam at Catluvr). Defining a high quality place ultimately means knowing your own preferences and desires in life beforehand - AND know to what extent and degree you just have to have those preferences. For example, if you place high emphasis on prefer a low tax environment with a traditional culture (as Catluvr apparently does), then you would be happier in Texas than Minnesota.

However, if you actually prefer an alternative-hippie type of environment and love social services enough to be willing to pay the high Minnesota taxes, then you should look to Minnesota.

All in all, it's ultimately a matter of knowing your own self well and skill at finding a place that is responsive to your needs as a person.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:27 PM

147 posts, read 239,465 times
Phil75230's comments should be plastered on a billboard at the borders of Texas! He has summed it up!

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: