Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 13,602 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was a native born Midwesterner and had been living in Texas since I was 12. In the near future, I was thinking about moving back to the Midwest since I was born in Iowa. Minneapolis was my choice of a Midwestern city. I did a lot of research and jobs pay higher in Minneapolis than Dallas (since the cost of living is more lower). Housing prices are sometimes higher there than in Big D. The crime rate in Dallas is higher and summers are hotter there while it does not get so cold that much during the winter and snows only once or twice there. Minneapolis gets very cold during the winter and most magazines state that it is a great place to raise a family. Both metros have great nightlife, schools, shopping (MSP has Mall of America), etc. What city should I choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 11:36 AM

313 posts, read 1,716,287 times
Frisco

best place on earth

Old 05-21-2007, 11:42 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Sorry, I had to respond as I was scrolling down the C-D page and noticed this interesting thread.... I must say, for the first time on this site, that Im actually stumped! LOL If I had to choose between Dallas or Minneapolis, I would need a year or two to figure that one out! LOL Both are great cities, lots to do, etc. I just wanted to congradulate aaron_esq on stumping me! LOLOL Usually a choice between two cities is fairly easy (based on my personal opinion of course), but not this one!

If I had to move to either one of these cities, I would pick: Minneapallas (or would it be Dallapolis?)!!!! LOL

Old 05-21-2007, 04:49 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
Minneapolis!

Singing "Brrrrrrr, it's cold in here, there be some Toros in the atmosphere..."

Old 05-21-2007, 04:58 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOK222 View Post
Frisco

best place on earth
The choice was Dallas or Minneapolis.

I say Dallas.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:10 PM

Yep, Dallas for me.

I grew up with harsh winters and never want to go back. Dallas' Summers are smoldering, but the rest of the year is pretty nice.

I do love Minnesotans.....great people.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:59 PM

549 posts, read 2,193,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Minneapolis!

Singing "Brrrrrrr, it's cold in here, there be some Toros in the atmosphere..."
Did you just quote the movie "Bring it On"?

Old 05-21-2007, 08:02 PM

You got somin against that movie pal. My brother in law actually had a small part in it....everytime someone mentions something in the Chilly north, it makes me think of that dang cheer. For a teen movie, that one was actually pretty good. Carried of course by Kirsten Dunst.

It's Ironic that MN is playing TX on TV tonight....

Old 05-21-2007, 10:32 PM

90 posts, read 283,774 times
Well, I live in the Minneapolis metro but lurk here because I dream of someday moving to Texas, so read my post with this perspective in mind.

It's all personal preference. Do you tolerate heat better or cold better? Minneapolis can get painfully, bitterly cold in the winter. If you have never experienced temperatures in the -10 to -40 range, it is indescribeable. This kind of bitter cold comes in snaps and can last just a few days to a few weeks. Your skin can freeze in just a few minutes. It is quite literally painful to be outside. Most winter days range in temperature from 10 degrees into the 30's. Without wind it's tolerable but it does get LONG! Darkness comes as early as 4:00 PM during winter solstice. Snow white scenery gets old and bleak very quickly. If you aren't confident driving on icy roads it can get difficult to get around town or plan road trips during the winter months as weather is unpredictable. Summers in Minneapolis can get just as hot as Dallas summers. The heat doesn't last as long, but the humidity is higher due to the vast amount of water here. Weather is more extreme in Minneapolis. You can have 85 degrees one day and a week later have windchills in the negative numbers (this happened in early April).

Aside from the weather, Minneapolis is a nice place to live. It is very family friendly and the suburbs are safe. There is a lot to do, though not as much as Dallas/Ft. Worth. If you are outdoorsy and don't mind the extreme temperatures, Minneapolis may be a better fit. Lakes and rivers are everywhere. Minnesotans are hard to get to know; they are nice but not necessarily friendly; they are a pretty open-minded bunch, though. Transportation is a joke; roads are severely in need of repair and updating. It is much smaller than the DFW area in size and population. Housing is more expensive in the Minneapolis area, but from what I can see in my 3+ years of obsessive research, cost of living is cheaper.

Good luck on making your decision. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have on living in Minneapolis.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:38 PM

313 posts, read 1,716,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The choice was Dallas or Minneapolis.

I say Dallas.
I say Frisco..

which is closer to Dallas so Dallas wins by it's proximity to Frisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: