Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 02:33 PM
zox zox started this thread

344 posts, read 477,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
And last year on December 26, 2008 the high temp was 83. You never know around here. Like Florida, they have cold areas as well and so does Texas
Does Tampa, Miami and Orlando receive snow too? Comparing Dallas to Florida because they both have cold weather is like comparing Mineapolis to Dallas because they both have cold weather. Obviously, there is something called degrees of comparison. The point of this thread is that Dallas residents on citydata downplay the cold weather in Dallas. It's not freezing but unlike Houston and other true sun belt cities, Dallas is not considered a warm weather city and it definitely has a winter season. And no, this isn't the first time Dallas has received winter snow so don't try that angle I'm not bashing Dallas, it's an awesome city but people need to be properly informed and not think that its warm all year round despite how some of you would like to portray it as
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 03:29 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,506,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
Does Tampa, Miami and Orlando receive snow too? Comparing Dallas to Florida because they both have cold weather is like comparing Mineapolis to Dallas because they both have cold weather. Obviously, there is something called degrees of comparison. The point of this thread is that Dallas residents on citydata downplay the cold weather in Dallas. It's not freezing but unlike Houston and other true sun belt cities, Dallas is not considered a warm weather city and it definitely has a winter season. And no, this isn't the first time Dallas has received winter snow so don't try that angle I'm not bashing Dallas, it's an awesome city but people need to be properly informed and not think that its warm all year round despite how some of you would like to portray it as
Dallas isn't a true sunbelt city because we have some cold days during the winter? FYI, it gets cold in Houston sometimes too. Dallas is a warm weather city for most of the year, but over the 3 months of winter Dallas does have its share of cold days like today. But, there will also be winter days like last Wednesday when it was 75 degrees. If you perceive that people on C-D downplay the cold in Dallas to portray it as something that it is not, then I think you are misinterpreting things. Perhaps half of the days during winter are cold. The rest are pretty mild. So, that means approximately 1/8th of the days during the whole year are cold in Dallas. That's not much. It's especially mild to someone who moved here from the north or the northeast. Most people here think that the winters are generally pretty mild.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:37 PM

55 posts, read 184,304 times
No... Miami, Orlando and Tampa do not see snow... at least they didn't for the 6 years I lived in SW FL. I remember lying on the beach (in the sun) on Lover's Key on a New Year's Day! You can't do that here! LOL

Old 12-27-2009, 05:08 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,433,561 times
Quote:
Oh my gosh! I'm not jumping all over you, since you probably weren't on here last summer, but all of us Dallas "old-timers" were trying deperately to make the exact point you are, that it does get cold in the winter here. Many newcomers kept arguing with us saying it's hot all year round! This is too funny!

Old 12-27-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Oh my gosh! I'm not jumping all over you, since you probably weren't on here last summer, but all of us Dallas "old-timers" were trying deperately to make the exact point you are, that it does get cold in the winter here. Many newcomers kept arguing with us saying it's hot all year round! This is too funny!
I like Dallas because it has seasons. Houston is warm all year round. Dallas Native is wrong and Houston is much warmer and consistently warmer all year round than Dallas. They might receive some cold weather but they don't get snow and ice like Dallas. Even if they do receive some snow in some fluke occurrence, it will only affect some parts of the city and it will usually melt by the time it hits the ground. I've been in Dallas where we received a foot of snow on the ground and it was all over the city and it lasted more than a day.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:08 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,437,282 times
I have so far still refused to buy gloves, a scarf, or a winter hat. I don't consider weather in the 30's to be cold. For the few hours on the few days here in Dallas it does hit the 20's, I can manage. Sure Dallas is not Miami, but it certainly is not Chicago either. It gets nippy here, but the ground doesn't freeze down 10 feet. There's a difference.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:21 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,433,561 times
Quote:
I like Dallas because it has seasons. Houston is warm all year round. Dallas Native is wrong and Houston is much warmer and consistently warmer all year round than Dallas. They might receive some cold weather but they don't get snow and ice like Dallas. Even if they do receive some snow in some fluke occurrence, it will only affect some parts of the city and it will usually melt by the time it hits the ground. I've been in Dallas where we received a foot of snow on the ground and it was all over the city and it lasted more than a day.
When I was a kid in the`70s it seems we had snow more often than we do now, not counting this odd winter. I remember one year, maybe someone here can tell me what year it was, we had over a foot fall over a couple of days and it actually stuck around. We kids, of course, had an absolute blast. I also remember that horrid ice storm, maybe 1979? That was a mess.
I think what makes Dallas different than other places, and why people call it mild in the winter, is we can have ice one day and several days later we could be in the 60s or even 70s. Some people can't stand it, I like it.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
When I was a kid in the`70s it seems we had snow more often than we do now, not counting this odd winter. I remember one year, maybe someone here can tell me what year it was, we had over a foot fall over a couple of days and it actually stuck around. We kids, of course, had an absolute blast. I also remember that horrid ice storm, maybe 1979? That was a mess.
I think what makes Dallas different than other places, and why people call it mild in the winter, is we can have ice one day and several days later we could be in the 60s or even 70s. Some people can't stand it, I like it.
I agree with much of what you are saying. It sounds like we are on the same page. I just take issue with people who try to sell Dallas as a tropical sun-belt city like Miami, Tampa, Houston, Phoenix, San Diego, and LA. Those cities don't really have a winter. Unlike Dallas, those cities don't receive snow and/or freezing rain and/or really cold wind. Sure, there are exceptions. If someone wanted to desperately contradict me, they could find instances where those cities had that type of weather but that is the exception and not the rule. Dallas gets this type of weather every year even if they have warm days interspersed during their winter months. I've never said Dallas had bad weather or cold winters, I'm just stating the obvious...that it has a winter season

Old 12-27-2009, 10:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,724,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurasrn View Post
Weather happens... Dallas is much further NORTH than Houston. I don't think that Dallas "is warm year-round"... that would be Florida!

Quote:
I was refering to the post ABOVE yours that is trying to compare ALL of Florida as being "warm year round". It isn't. Some parts get their fair share of cold weather winters. Just ask the citrus growers that have lost crops to ice and cold weather.

I've never said that Dallas does not see a "winter". I have said our winters are mild though. We can SOMETIMES see snow more than once a year but that is not often at all. This year is a little different than most as it is the El Nino year as has been pointed out already. I've seen many a winter in Dallas where we never saw snow once the entire year. That is almost more the norm than us having one or two snow falls per year. We do tend to see more ice than snow or freezing rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Dallas isn't a true sunbelt city because we have some cold days during the winter? FYI, it gets cold in Houston sometimes too. Dallas is a warm weather city for most of the year, but over the 3 months of winter Dallas does have its share of cold days like today. But, there will also be winter days like last Wednesday when it was 75 degrees. If you perceive that people on C-D downplay the cold in Dallas to portray it as something that it is not, then I think you are misinterpreting things. Perhaps half of the days during winter are cold. The rest are pretty mild. So, that means approximately 1/8th of the days during the whole year are cold in Dallas. That's not much. It's especially mild to someone who moved here from the north or the northeast. Most people here think that the winters are generally pretty mild.
It can snow one day and be 60 the next. Heck, by the time lunch rolled around on Christmas day most of the snow we had the night before had melted. Or it can be 60 one day and snow, ice or freezing rain the next. Our weather patterns are very unpredictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurasrn View Post
No... Miami, Orlando and Tampa do not see snow... at least they didn't for the 6 years I lived in SW FL. I remember lying on the beach (in the sun) on Lover's Key on a New Year's Day! You can't do that here! LOL
You didn't name those cities to start with. You said, "Florida". Just sayin.

Quote:
LOL!!! Or the newcomers that try and say that we have 100 plus temps from April thru September with never a break. LOL!!! And some of them are not really "newcomers". I don't think any of us have said we never see a winter. I think we have all said the exact opposite. That we DO see colder temps but they are short lived. What we have seen this year w/ a week straight of cold temps for most of of North Texas is NOT the "norm". It is pretty wide spread this year. Usually not the case most years.

Quote:
Actually, there have been PLENTY of times where a large portion of the city never saw any snow and/or ice and other areas did. Our weather patterns are very awkward and can not really be pinned down in that case. Even with the recent snow the other day on Christmas Eve to the east of the metroplex they did not get the snow at all that portions to the west did. I came in that night from East Texas thru Rockwall. Trust me, they did not see hardly any snow. My sister lives in McKinney and she has seen more snow than I have seen just down the road closer to Dallas in Garland. She has also seen more bad weather than I have when the rain and storms are concerned. There is some line that kind of goes straight thru the middle between Dallas and Ft Worth and it typically keeps the worst of the weather fronts to the west and pushes them north above Dallas and many of the closer in Dallas burbs. Or the rain storms go south. It is kind of bizare how it does it but whenever any system is going to be moving thru if you watch it closely you can start to notice it.

I can't recall a time when a foot of snow fell all over the Dallas metroplex and it stayed on the ground for more than a day at all?????

Old 12-27-2009, 10:23 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,103,954 times
I love seeing all of the different interpretations of the weather from you all. The funny thing is, even in real life and not on this web site, people are mentioning how "fluky" the weather iss Yet every night when I see the forecast, it calls for more of the same, 40s through the period and lows in the 20s, no warm spells at all. The guy on Ch. 11 just said this was the coldest December in 10 years also...and that January will start out the same with a major Artic front!!! But if this is so fluky, shouldn't it be short lived? I guess we will see how much snow we get on Tueday...then again on Thursday, lol. At this rate we can open up a ski hill somewhere in North Texas lol.

My non scientific logic says this if we have had a month of below normal weather, maybe January or February will be a month of unusually warm weather...or is that just wishful thinking??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas