U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:14 PM

1,560 posts, read 6,455,866 times

Advertisements

About the only thing you missed Brian would be religion and sports. In the deep south they are sometimes considered one and the same.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:13 PM

2,395 posts, read 7,607,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY - Dallas View Post
Brian,

Don't you like to hang out with Yahooligans? lol
IT people/Yahooligans/geeks... whatever you want to call it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
About the only thing you missed Brian would be religion and sports. In the deep south they are sometimes considered one and the same.
I figured my point was made... and I got tired of typing.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:39 PM

450 posts, read 747,347 times
Default ready to move on

I am a 40yr old black man who has done pretty well for himself without worrying about race,gender,religion etc.
I realize we are not in a "color blind society" thanks to people like you who are hung up race and gender. This is America we all have a great chance to succeed especially now.

I have been trading/investing my own account for a living for almost 10yrs so I'm not in the workplace but before that I found it easy to rise to the top not by segregating myself,but by hard work.

I honestly can't think of a time when my race held me back.

"stop and think for half a second about why a Black woman can't ignore race or gender in the business world !!"

Maybe you should ponder that for yourself.

"Project 21 is an initiative of The National Center for Public Policy Research to promote the views of African-Americans whose entrepreneurial spirit, dedication to family and commitment to individual responsibility has not traditionally been echoed by the nation's civil rights establishment."

http://www.project21.org/P21Index.html
Good luck

Old 05-23-2007, 03:42 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
A lot of black professionals go to Brooklyn:http://www.brooklynjazzcafe.com/

and Terilli's: http://www.terillis.com/

for jazz.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:17 PM

7 posts, read 29,661 times
Sprinter, you are missing my point. I refuse to blame others for any failures that I may have in life . I also refuse to think that everyone is color blind and equal in this society.
I don't expect anyone to give me special treatment due to race or gender, but I do realize that some people will deny me opportunities due to race or gender. I won't let that fact paralyze me, but I do keep my eyes open to reality.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:27 PM

15 posts, read 69,704 times
ready to move on:

I have to be completely honest with you...although Dallas is a very active and cosmoplitan city, it is STILL THE SOUTH. Whether we like it or not, racism/race consciousness still exists and it is definitely harder for minorities to obtain high positions.

Yeah, I know some blacks who make big money in Dallas but it is much harder for them. However, I think things are getting better and Dallas is one of the more progressive southern cities.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:03 PM

2,058 posts, read 4,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
I am a 40yr old black man who has done pretty well for himself without worrying about race,gender,religion etc.
I realize we are not in a "color blind society" thanks to people like you who are hung up race and gender. This is America we all have a great chance to succeed especially now.

I have been trading/investing my own account for a living for almost 10yrs so I'm not in the workplace but before that I found it easy to rise to the top not by segregating myself,but by hard work.

I honestly can't think of a time when my race held me back.

"stop and think for half a second about why a Black woman can't ignore race or gender in the business world !!"

Maybe you should ponder that for yourself.

"Project 21 is an initiative of The National Center for Public Policy Research to promote the views of African-Americans whose entrepreneurial spirit, dedication to family and commitment to individual responsibility has not traditionally been echoed by the nation's civil rights establishment."

Project 21 - National Leadership Network of Black Conservatives
Good luck
Pardon me, but...I will put it this way... you certainly come across as a very pompus "black man".

Old 06-10-2007, 10:14 PM

2,058 posts, read 4,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan st clair View Post
Racist ,seperatist.No love from me.I can't stand racism.Delete away.Nice attitude .Try Alabama or at least stay in the hillbilly south east.Sorry mods but it's a duck.
Why is this racists? I have seen Italian networking groups, Irish networking groups, Korean networking groups...etc. Eventhough some of them do not put a name on them, they are what they are. Are they racist also?

Old 06-10-2007, 11:25 PM

15 posts, read 69,704 times
I think if we are ever going to move forward as a society we need not segregate ourselves. Instead of asking for black networking groups, we should just ask for networking groups.

This is 2007, not 1957....and although the South is the South, it is best to get over the racial obsession. This country has a long history, so it's expected to see vestiges of this.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:33 AM

988 posts, read 1,894,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Why is this racists? I have seen Italian networking groups, Irish networking groups, Korean networking groups...etc. Eventhough some of them do not put a name on them, they are what they are. Are they racist also?
Unfortunately this is very true. I know its easy to say or hope things are totally color blind, but they simply aren't. Plenty of people simply don't trust people that don't look like them/have had common experience as them, etc. Just a sad truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or