U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:40 PM

7 posts, read 30,638 times

Advertisements

I am , as my screen name indicates, ready to "move on" and pursue a new life in the DFW metroplex area.
I am a 42 year old single Black female and I am considering a career change and a change of location from Arkansas to Texas. I have already indicated that I am searching for rental communities that would be safe and affordable (approx. $800/mo).
I also need input from any Black financial advisors in the Dallas area . Is it next to impossible to build clientele and make a comfortable living or is it possible with hard work and dedication ?
I am also interested in knowing about any Black professional groups that I could become a part of so that I can build professional ties.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:02 PM

100 posts, read 420,247 times
Default Here to help

Check out blacksindallas.com. Actual a google search may give you better results.

You may not get much feed back on the subjest of an african american financial adviser onthis board. TDue to the fact the board is more focused on the communities and living aspect of relocating. By the way I am african american in Dallas.

It is difficult to find information about african american adviser online. There are plenty of them in Dallas from what I can see. Most work for your major firms (ING, Edward Jones, ect). You will have to move to Dallas first to find the specific business group you are looking for. You best success may come from networking within your new career once you get here.

The church is going to be your next best place to network outside of work. The african american mega churches here in Dallas offer financial conference for its members and guest very often. They are usually organized by african american adviser. So come out and see what you find. Hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:24 AM
JLJ

9 posts, read 32,859 times
When it comes to finance the only color that matters is green.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:17 AM

1,538 posts, read 6,446,468 times
The Dallas Black Chamber of Commerce might be able to point you in the right direction.

www.dbcc.org

Old 05-23-2007, 09:02 AM

450 posts, read 760,045 times
How many would cry racist if the original post read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready to move on View Post
I am , as my screen name indicates, ready to "move on" and pursue a new life in the DFW metroplex area.
I am a 42 year old single white female and I am considering a career change and a change of location from Arkansas to Texas. I have already indicated that I am searching for rental communities that would be safe and affordable (approx. $800/mo).
I also need input from any white financial advisors in the Dallas area . Is it next to impossible to build clientele and make a comfortable living or is it possible with hard work and dedication ?
I am also interested in knowing about any white professional groups that I could become a part of so that I can build professional ties.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:04 AM

85 posts, read 482,548 times
Racist ,seperatist.No love from me.I can't stand racism.Delete away.Nice attitude .Try Alabama or at least stay in the hillbilly south east.Sorry mods but it's a duck.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:40 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,554,306 times
In my opinion it's not racist. Racist implies a belief that any particular race is better or worse than another. It is at best racial, implying a difference between two or more races. I don't have a problem with racial or ethnic groups seeking each other out.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:53 AM

2,395 posts, read 7,741,916 times
In my observation, people are typically more comfortable with other people that have something in common. This can apply to any of the following things:

- Race
- Profession
- Marital Status
- Parental status
- Similar hobbies/interests
- Sexual orientation

When a group of mothers get together, that's considered OK; when married people get together, that's considered OK; when a group of motor cyclists get together, that's considered OK; why would a person of a specific race looking for similar people be considered NOT ok?

In my book, it's bad only if the person avoids and/or cuts down people due to being different. Heck, I'm more comfortable with white people my age that are in the IT profession - there's just more in common for us to discuss. Doesn't mean I'm racist or ageist (or professionist if that's even a word, hehe)...

Brian

Old 05-23-2007, 11:41 AM

7 posts, read 30,638 times
I must respond to Sprinter. It seems as though Sprinter wants to pretend that we are a color blind society, but I am a realist living in the real world.
While Sprinter wants to try to pretend that Blacks have equal financial assets and equal business exposure , that is unrealistic.
As a professional Black woman, I realize that I must build my clientele with a predominanatly Black client base because even though Sprinter wants to live in a fantasy world , I know that some , not all, Whites will be resistant to receiving financial advice from a Black female.
I would love to live in a pretend world and ignore reality, but I realize that some people will look at me and assume that I am not financially astute due to my race or gender.
Sprinter, the next time you try to pretend that I am somehow "racist" , stop and think for half a second about why a Black woman can't ignore race or gender in the business world !!
Unfortunately, I can't pretend that people will perceive me the same way they'd perceive a White male. It's a cold hard fact that people make assumptions based on appearance in the business world.

Last edited by ready to move on; 05-23-2007 at 11:52 AM..

Old 05-23-2007, 11:59 AM

549 posts, read 2,004,247 times
Brian,

Don't you like to hang out with Yahooligans? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or