U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:52 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,274,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
The apartments over by Valley View are so run down. Another area to avoid is Northeast Dallas off Forest Lane. The area along Forest Lane Between Skillman and Hillcrest is pretty bad, particularly @ Forest and Audelia. Used to me a nice area in its day.
Yep, hubby lived there before we got married. All of those apartments were home to lots of young college graduate singles and couples. Chili's and TGIFriday's over there are now closed and once they were PACKED! All of those strip centers over in that area are totally changed and most are empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 08:04 PM

1,538 posts, read 6,317,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yep, hubby lived there before we got married. All of those apartments were home to lots of young college graduate singles and couples. Chili's and TGIFriday's over there are now closed and once they were PACKED! All of those strip centers over in that area are totally changed and most are empty.
My parents lived off Forest and LBJ when they married in 1980, and they remember when it was a happening place. It's sad to see that its gone down hill so bad.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:06 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,397,483 times
We were 75240 on the 1970s, but were changed to 75248 at some point a long time ago. 75248 is north of 75240.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:09 PM

418 posts, read 1,610,371 times
Quote:

This is totally off topic, and I apologize, but...would you like to know where my husband lived when I first met him? PARK LANE. Not the nice part, by Northpark, either! Park Lane, in some nasty apartments. And he was just out of college with a good job. I almost fainted when I went to his place the first time! He swore that it was "Nice when he first moved in". I called BS. I think he was just a poor college kid that needed cheap rent and didn't care where he lived!

Old 05-23-2007, 08:11 PM

418 posts, read 1,610,371 times
Quote:
When we first moved to LH, about 7 years ago, we would sometimes go to that Chili's. I hated it. Aside from the HORRIBLE service they had, the parking lot and strip center by it seemed so seedy.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:23 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,274,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
This is totally off topic, and I apologize, but...would you like to know where my husband lived when I first met him? PARK LANE. Not the nice part, by Northpark, either! Park Lane, in some nasty apartments. And he was just out of college with a good job. I almost fainted when I went to his place the first time! He swore that it was "Nice when he first moved in". I called BS. I think he was just a poor college kid that needed cheap rent and didn't care where he lived!
LOL!!! You should have seen my hubby's first apartment in Arlington when he was going to school out there. EWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! First time walking into it while it was still empty and turned on the lights and roaches ran everywhere. I think I ran.......... screaming of course. Then w/ two other male room mates it soon had a fish tank, not w/ water and fish either but full of smashed beer cans. College guys.

The apartments over off Audelia and Skillman were REALLY nice. They were totally a happening scene for young college grads back then. Now they almost resemble those over in Arlington. Sad thing is you go only a few blocks and it totally changes and is much better. Oh well.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,791 times
LOL!! thanx everyone!!!
my hubby is looking at Richland hills, Grapevine and prolly Irving...
i was wondering about the cost of living....
he will prolly be making about 40K starting out as a teacher... well at least thats what surveys said .... i will prollly get a job (with bachelors degree) paying prolly around 40K as well maybe less.... how bad is that in Dallas???

Old 05-25-2007, 09:14 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,027,546 times
You can live well in Dallas with an 80k family income. Go to Realtor.com and type in 'Dallas' as the city or 'Fort Worth' and take a look at all the housing that exist even around 100k (mortgage on this amount is cheaper than rent).

Old 05-26-2007, 05:00 PM

3 posts, read 13,606 times
Default Dallas

There are many multi-national corporations located in the metroplex, so someone with your language skills should have many opportunities to find a good job.

If you will live in an apartment while job hunting, I suggest looking at the Valley Ranch area in Irving. We lived there for a few months when we first relocated to Dallas. It is a clean, new and safe area. It is also close to the LBJ, the Bush, and I-35.

As far as the 75240 zipcode... that is where I live (in a house). There are many nice residential areas in this zipcode. It is convenient to private schools, The University of Texas at Dallas, shopping, Cottonwood and White Rock Creek bike trails, and a lovely country club. We have large yards, and plenty of mature trees. However, stay away from apartments in this zipcode (they are scary!). The only nice apartment complex in this area is "The Reserve" at Spring Valley & Monfort.

Good luck with your move!

Old 05-26-2007, 05:51 PM

595 posts, read 2,367,606 times
All the school districts in this area are always looking for HS level Science and Math teachers. He shouldn't have trouble finding a position. I hope all goes well......Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or