U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:46 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,332,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
The weather report last night said that Dallas is currently 4.5 inches of rain ahead of normal for this tiime of year.
But they also showed where Lake Lavon is still -1, Lake Tawakoni -6 and Lake Copper I believe was -10.

The water from Lavon is owned by the North Texas Municipal Water District and provides water to a good many of area cities including Garland, Rowlett, Frisco, etc. There is a pipeline being built from Tawakoni to the Trinity to help w/ water for Lavon. Problem is there is no water IN Tawakoni. Right now the only boat ramps that are even open on that lake are the ones that over the winter someone extended them. It is still DRY out there. So just because they avg out the rainfall for the DFW region does not mean the lakes where we get our water is receiving the same amount. So right now w/ all of this rainfall NO ONE needs to be using their sprinklers as it is just a total waste and if we continue to waste water from our resevoirs when we don't need it for our lawns and foundations we won't have it when we need it to drink. Conservation has GOT to become a huge issue in the metroplex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 10:21 AM

2,395 posts, read 7,619,853 times
...and 4.5 inches ahead for the year doesn't negate the shortage for the last 2 years.

I'm actually quite impressed that so many people on this forum are informed about water usage. The average usage in Dallas is 250 gallons per person per day. That's outrageous. I have been recording our usage and have done many things to limit our usage. By looking at our house/lawn/etc, you would have no idea that we use substantially less than that. We use 113 gal/person/day. As Momof2 stated, watering once a week is just fine for our region. That's what we do. I also break up my watering into three separate "feedings" in that one day - once at midnight, once at 1:30am, once at 3:00am. By running each zone 1/3 of the total watering time, 3 times in one night, I have minimized runoff to ensure most of the water I put down gets soaked into the ground.

I know I've stated this many times and probably sound like a boken record, but I would love to see building codes changed to require separating two drainage systems in all new homes: one for greywater (sinks, showers); one for blackwater (toilets). By doing so, the construction costs of a home would be increased by only about $500, but the home owners would then have the option of inexpensively upgrading to grey-water catchment to use for irrigation.

Unfortunately, my home is a slab foundation, build in 1976, so I cannot retrofit my home for greywater catchment (well, without spending $10K+ for the new drain system anyhow). If greywater catchment were an option, even with our low usage, we could drop from 113 gal/day/person down to about 80 gal/day/person. On homes that use more water inside their home than we do, their savings would be more dramatic.

I believe San Antonio's average is 170 gal/day/person. That's 80 gals less (32%) than Dallas average.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:32 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,023,018 times
The other thing I'd like to see is someone fine commercial entities that water the street once a week. Half the time driving down 78 at night I almost hydroplane on huge puddles of water because the sprinkler systems are actually watering the street. It's a waste of water and a hazard.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:42 PM

I'm with you on that one. While we're at it, let's enforce the law that requires rain/freeze sensors. If you're watering while it's raining, you should get fined.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:21 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,040,490 times
'The average usage in Dallas is 250 gallons per person per day."

Is that right ? I take a quick shower in the morning, drink coffee, flush toilet 1-2 times, then return home and have a glass of water, another toilet flush and another brush teeth. 250 gallons ??? I think I pay about $25 a month for water. Am I abnormal ? Do I need 2 more showers a day to keep up with the Jones'? I feel that I'm a pretty average water user.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:35 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,857,936 times
Is that 250 number based on averages of residential water bills, or is it an average of all usage (business, municipal, residential, HOA, etc.) spread out over the population as a whole?

Old 05-26-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
'The average usage in Dallas is 250 gallons per person per day."

Is that right ? I take a quick shower in the morning, drink coffee, flush toilet 1-2 times, then return home and have a glass of water, another toilet flush and another brush teeth. 250 gallons ??? I think I pay about $25 a month for water. Am I abnormal ? Do I need 2 more showers a day to keep up with the Jones'? I feel that I'm a pretty average water user.
Yes, you are a freak. Haha. Do you live in an apartment or home? Curious if you're doing any irrigation. Here's some of the info I found on the subject:

Green Living : Saving Water and Saving Forests (broken link)
http://www.texaswatermatters.org/pdfs/news_02.pdf

From Texaswatermatters.org, this is what was stated about the statistic under the "define it" section:

per capita water use
Per capita water use rates are computed by adding the total amount of water diverted into a water supply system for residential, commercial, and public and institutional uses, then dividing this by the actual population served.

Interesting, and it makes sense. Since a park needs to be watered and we (as residents) use the park, we get allocated a part of that water usage. Seems like it would be good to also publish the average residential water usage on a per household basis, so we all have a baseline to compare to...

Old 05-26-2007, 09:02 AM

Apartment for now. That makes more sense. You had me paranoid and I hadn't flushed the toilet since.....I'll go flush it now.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:23 PM

Nothing wrong with an apartment. I figured that was the case if your bill was only $25/mo. Irrigation makes a big difference in your bill! Our lowest bill was $55 (used 4500 gallons) so far, our highest was $68 (used 8200 gallons). Seems like the base charge for a home is higher than an apartment.

Our bill averages 6800 gallons/month for two people. What's everyone else looking like? We figure when we get the old 6 gallon/flush toilets replaced and replace the dishwasher & clotheswasher, we'll be cutting an additional 500-600 gallons/month out. Not sure there's much else we can do to decrease our usage since we can't do the grey water catchment thing and I'm not quite interested in tearing my entire yard and the costs associated with rain water catchment... But if we ever build new, you betcha we're going to have both grey and rain water catchment. Our usage would crater!

Old 05-26-2007, 09:29 PM

With a majority of the globe covered in water, it seems that someone would come up with low cost desalinization product and a method to pump seawater into remote areas through a ducted system.

I guess they were all busy building a better cell phone or getting a fiber optic network into our living room to worry with this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or