U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 05:11 PM

9 posts, read 25,669 times

Advertisements

my husband and i and kids r moving to texas from jersey.My husband wants to be close to dallas . what areas r the nicest by dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 05:14 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,381,409 times
That's such a general question. There are a lot of nice areas in and around Dallas. What are you looking for? What's important to you? How price range do you want to spend?

Old 05-23-2007, 05:29 PM

9 posts, read 25,669 times
somewhere that looks a little country but close to the city .Im thinking addison, carrollton or allen.We r going to rent first then buy a home

Old 05-23-2007, 05:42 PM

1,538 posts, read 6,313,052 times
Carrolton and Addison are pretty built up and have little if any country atmospere left. Allen has some, but Plano are Frisco are gorwing like mad, and it may get swallowed up. The Rockwall/Heath area has that country feel, but there are some very expensive homes in that area. Lucas and Murphy are country, but close to Garland, Plano, and Richardson. Prices out that way used to be pretty affordable, but I''m not sure what they run now.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:26 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,381,409 times
Addison is in the Dallas school district which you may or may want. Addison is known for its bars and restaurants and not for it's family atmosphere. You can see some country in Allen up near where 121 and 75 come together. Allen is a one high school town and therefore the high school is enormous. It's like a junior college campus. I don't know much about Carrollton, but since it is an inner ring suburb my guess is there isn't much open space left. I could be wrong.

You migh check Sachse (pronouced Sack-see) or Wylie. I went to a birthday party at a park in Wylie and I got the country feel there. Also, McKinney still has a country feel, but still has good retail and schools.

Good idea to rent first. It will help you get a feel for the different areas. It might be hard to find both "country" and "close in" since much of the city is built out. You might also consider Ft. Worth - Grapevine, Keller.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:32 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleberry26 View Post
somewhere that looks a little country but close to the city .Im thinking addison, carrollton or allen.We r going to rent first then buy a home
The other posters are right, none of those have a country feel. Well Carrollton once did when we still had Josey Ranch and all the Longhorns. Then 8 doors down from our house was a cow pasture but that is full of homes on zero lot lines now. Not much for more new building in Carrollton now. Addison, well when it had nothing but the small airport and the empty schoolhouse (now home to Magic Time Machine). Great spots to go out to eat and such though. Allen, being built up but if you want the country feel then you need to go to far east Allen out towards Parker, Lucas and Murphy. Sachse, ehhh, not that great and the traffic can be horrible to get in and out and their water rates are REALLY high. Out towards Rockwall w/ McClendon-Chisholm and even in Rockwall there are many areas that could fit the bill. If you want a little farther out but probably just as quick to get downtown as from Frisco and you want an acre or two then try Royce City. Easy access to I-30 and lots of subdivisions w/ acre+ lots. Parts of Garland can have a country feel depending on where you get.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:52 PM

28 posts, read 84,737 times
Lucas, Wylie and Fairview need to be considered. We are on Lucas/ Wylie line. Our area is a neighborhod called Seis Lagos. We are an unincorporated Area. We are in Lovejoy schools with a Wylie mailing address. My husband can make the train station in 14 minutes and is downtown Dallas in 45 from there.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:45 AM

3,035 posts, read 13,020,476 times
Beth 35, the cut and paste of the same message into several different older threads is a bit tiresome. We realize you love the area you've moved, but unincorporated areas in the country are not for everyone. This particular poster was trying to get closer to Dallas in an urban area. Over in hour away is not considered 'close' to many, including myself.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:47 AM

27,447 posts, read 44,947,050 times
question is ===where are you working, are schools important and how much money can you invest in home

Old 05-28-2007, 07:46 AM

28 posts, read 84,737 times
Socketz,
I am done posting for now. However, having lived as well in Boston Area, New York area and D.C. Suburbs, a one hour commute with 45 minutes of it being a train ride is not a big deal to some. We have lived in many different states. It is all a matter of what an individual personally considers to be bearable for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or