U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:24 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,446,196 times

Advertisements

TAG = Talented And Gifted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 10:25 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,384,279 times
According to Newsweek: "Public schools are ranked according to a ratio devised by Jay Mathews: the number of Advanced Placement, Intl. Baccalaureate and/or Cambridge tests taken by all students at a school in 2006 divided by the number of graduating seniors."

TAG = Talented and Gifted

Old 05-24-2007, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,525 times
The best school in DFW, nothing comes close.

http://www.cistercian.org/school/index.html

If you have a boy. I dont know for girls. Very few schools in the country can even come close to the curriculum Cistercian has.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:54 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,248,249 times
The G&T middle school in GISD had their awards program today. There were many 6th graders that have already completed and tested out of a few high school courses (WOW). Also several college scholarships already awarded to 6th graders. Pretty awesome.

One thing I will say, it is a VERY diverse bunch and they all get along great. For those of you w/ kids that fall into this catagory you probably know what I mean when I say these kids are kind of quirky in their own ways. When the girls are all hooting and hollering during the slide show over some of the guys and at any other school these kids would be the "awkard" kid because they are that "nerdy" group and they may not "fit in" w/ a mainstream school population. I don't mean it in a bad way at all but it is just great how these kids are so accepting and open to everyone. I saw the same thing when I've been to programs at Garland HS. Kids from all backgrounds supporting each other and being friends.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:30 AM

2,259 posts, read 8,631,187 times
>>little Mercedes down in south TX ranked very high. <<

#21 - that's the South Texas High School for Health Professions - nickname Med High. Quite a gem of a place considering most of those kids come from a family income of $20,000 or less.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:36 PM

257 posts, read 846,982 times
Momof2dfw,
I found your comment completely out of line. Are we having a little PMS or something?

I asked a simple question - besides looking at the TAK scores, is there another way to research schools. PERIOD. I didn't ask for your snotty comments about how I intend to go about choosing a home, because honestly that is none of your darn business.

If you don't want to be helpful and have nothing but pissy things to say, then back away from the keyboard lady.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masalamomma View Post
Momof2dfw,
I found your comment completely out of line. Are we having a little PMS or something?

I asked a simple question - besides looking at the TAK scores, is there another way to research schools. PERIOD. I didn't ask for your snotty comments about how I intend to go about choosing a home, because honestly that is none of your darn business.

If you don't want to be helpful and have nothing but pissy things to say, then back away from the keyboard lady.
Don't feed the troll...

What ages are your children?

Old 05-24-2007, 07:24 PM

709 posts, read 3,117,381 times
A little on CFB g/t program and IB programs...

IB program is also available in CFB at several of the elementary schools as well as 1 high school next year. Elementary wise Las Colinas Elem,l think is going to offer IB next year and high school wise I think at Ranchview HS. There may be a Jr. High as well but I'm not sure. You could probably find info. on the cfbisd website. I know there are a few others but my mind is going blank right now on which schools are going to have or have IB programs currently. This is if you are referring to the same program.

Also, the G/T program (CFB) is highly respected in the state of Texas. All teachers are being required to get G/T credentials/training per district guidelines.

Most of the High Schools offer an academy... Math Academy (they have another name for it), Buisness, Film/TV, and several others. From my understanding they are pretty good. I think there is even a Medical Academy.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:59 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,248,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masalamomma View Post
Momof2dfw,

I'm sorry, I found your comments to be totally out of line and rude. Especially given that you know nothing of the place which is evident from one of your other posts in telling someone to look in a zipcode that is NOT a place to live (and is NOT a residential area, lol, THAT was funny). My comments are not "snotty" but yours have been in several cases. You have started several threads all asking the same question and we have all given you answers to which you retaliate that it is NOT the answers your wanting. I never asked about how you intend to look for a home, geez, maybe your the one w/ PMS Based on your last sentence I guess you are. By looking at several of your posts it appears that you seem to have a problem in dealing w/ those that have a different opinion than you and get rather "pissy" yourself. Maybe your the one that needs to "back away from the keyboard". Have a great day

Stoic, I'm not a troll but the OP does tend to have the appearance of one.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,899 times
Moving right along..

As a recent graduate (2004) of the Science and Engineering magnet in Dallas, I can say that there is no better choice for public secondary school in the area than the DISD magnets. I highly recommend that you gear your grade-school age children toward attending either SEM, TAG, or Booker T for high school, depending on their inclination, though I know many students at all three schools who are succeeding in many different areas, from science to theatre to literature to engineering to medicine. TAG is probably the best bet, as their students end up being the most well-rounded, but they only accept about 30-40 students per freshman class.

The important thing is that the faculty at these schools actually takes pride in their profession and their position, and (in general) they do *everything* they can to not only teach material and improve statistics, but also guide students in their lives. It's like a mesh between private school quality and public school culture.

Hope this helps. (but it would be more helpful if the original poster gave more details! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas