U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 04:27 PM

3,269 posts, read 5,358,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catluvr View Post
ladarron,

You are living darn close to the shooting fiasco that just happened at Frio and Ann Arbor (OK...a block or two away). I drive by there every day and now it's sad to see life continue on and kids playing around a small pool of blood where the delivery boy's lay after his murder. Poor soul was attempting to deliver a stack of papers. I know there a good people around there, but those gangsters give OC a bad name! I would feel scared living in SOC for that very reason.
I have been living in South Oak Cliff for many years. Murder can happen anywhere, even in the best neighborhood in Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 08:30 AM

396 posts, read 672,456 times
My wife and I drove through North Oak Cliff on the way from renting a place in Temple, TX (she's doing residency at Scott & White) and I must say Oak Cliff is the only place we'd consider living in Dallas. Previously Dallas was completely off our radar of post-residency living options but we were both very impressed with the beauty of this area. Beautiful homes, mature trees, the hills, etc. Very nice area, of course we didn't venture too far south but this was a big plus for Dallas to us.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:27 PM

424 posts, read 1,278,857 times
Oak Cliff is beautiful and I would definately live there. North Oak Cliff (Kessler Park, etc.) is so expensive to buy in that I could not afford Private school for my kids. The public school system is not exactly thriving there. My tall and skinny kid would get eaten alive there.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:43 PM

4,687 posts, read 3,844,149 times
I really don't consider Oak Cliff to be ghetto. Oak Cliff has huge potential to be one of the best areas in the city. We just need someone willing to invest in the area.

Oak Cliff is kinda like a mini city because it has it's ghettos and nice areas too. People seem to think there's a gang on every corner and someone is ready to shoot at any minute. In my opinion, Oak Cliff is one of the nicest areas in the city. This is one of the only places in Dallas where you can find homes on hills surrounded by trees.

Oak Cliff Neighborhood Video - YouTube

Old 07-21-2012, 09:45 PM

4,687 posts, read 3,844,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catluvr View Post
Oak Cliff is beautiful and I would definately live there. North Oak Cliff (Kessler Park, etc.) is so expensive to buy in that I could not afford Private school for my kids. The public school system is not exactly thriving there. My tall and skinny kid would get eaten alive there.
There's Townview Magnet Center in Oak Cliff. One of the best public schools in the Nation.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 PM

4,503 posts, read 6,260,078 times
We did ten years there.

But having kids changes things.

We are up in Lilywhite / Collin County for the last two years now.

All things considered, life had a lot more character back down there.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:05 AM

251 posts, read 198,902 times
Having been born and raised in Dallas we really hated when the local news said an incident happened in South Dallas, which usually included any area south of town. No wonder people think the area is so bad with broad strokes like that. But the communities have the areas better defined with those being North Oak Cliff with areas like Kessler Park, West Oak Cliff with areas like Kiest Park(where on any given morning people black, white and brown and on the 2 mile circular trail enjoying the beautiful wooded park), far South Oak Cliff where I grew up near interstate 20 and Lancaster Road, and the poorer economics areas of South Oak Cliff and East Oak Cliff. And even those areas are a mixed bag with areas like Cedar Crest lying within more hotbed areas. True South Dallas is immediate areas south of town, Bexar Street, Second Ave., MLK. etc.

Last edited by Ablebodied; 07-22-2012 at 09:25 AM..

Old 07-22-2012, 12:01 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,372,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablebodied View Post
Having been born and raised in Dallas we really hated when the local news said an incident happened in South Dallas, which usually included any area south of town. No wonder people think the area is so bad with broad strokes like that. But the communities have the areas better defined with those being North Oak Cliff with areas like Kessler Park, West Oak Cliff with areas like Kiest Park(where on any given morning people black, white and brown and on the 2 mile circular trail enjoying the beautiful wooded park), far South Oak Cliff where I grew up near interstate 20 and Lancaster Road, and the poorer economics areas of South Oak Cliff and East Oak Cliff. And even those areas are a mixed bag with areas like Cedar Crest lying within more hotbed areas. True South Dallas is immediate areas south of town, Bexar Street, Second Ave., MLK. etc.
Bexar Street is TOTALLY re-vamped...Its so nice now.You wouldn't think you were in south Dallas.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:14 PM

251 posts, read 198,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Bexar Street is TOTALLY re-vamped...Its so nice now.You wouldn't think you were in south Dallas.
You're correct. If someone blindfolded you and took you there and took the blindfold off south Dallas would be the last place you would guess.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:09 PM

591 posts, read 1,693,032 times
I ate at Hattie's in the Bishop Arts on Saturday and am always impressed with all of the new restaurants and shops that are opening. I love the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas