U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:22 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,024,708 times

Advertisements

Since this is a Mckinney thread, thought I'd post a link to the Mckinney Summer Musicals:

MEF's McKinney Summer Musicals Home (broken link)

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is playing in June/July.

and

The Mckinney Art & Jazz Festival:

Home

I learned about these things while I was in line at Starbucks today, so I thought I'd share...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 08:41 AM

549 posts, read 1,973,199 times
Socketz,

What elementary school are you zoned for in SBR?

Thanks

Old 05-30-2007, 09:54 AM

Wilmeth. But there is not an elementary ranked below Exemplrary in Stonebridge. Bennett, Wolford, Glen Oaks and Eddins are excellent as well.

Two fo them just won Blue Robbons:
McKinney Independent School District (http://www.mckinneyisd.net/departments/communications/pressroom/index.cfm?newsID=136 - broken link)

I suspect the others will follow in the upcoming years once they are eligible.

Wilmeth gained Exemplrary status in a year (uncommon), so I think that speaks highly for the quality of the school.

The zone map is here:
http://www.mckinneyisd.net/departments/communications/attendance_zones/Elementary%20Zones%202005.pdf (broken link)

Note that Valley Creek is probably the best elementary school outside of SBR (in my opinion), but you need to be careful in Eldorado (Realtors will tell you this) because the resale is not as strong there as SBR.

Are you looking at SBR again ? If so, call me when your out and I will show you guys around. I do like Frisco better for ammenities today (may change in the upcoming years), so my goal was to live as west as I could in SBR.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:02 AM

I was thinking of going to Aspendale because it is more in my price range but the elementary school is 9 miles away and that just seems a bit far.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY - Dallas View Post
I was thinking of going to Aspendale because it is more in my price range but the elementary school is 9 miles away and that just seems a bit far.

It's also Ogle, which is not my favorite Elementary school in Frisco ISD.

Remind me of your price range ?

Also, if you like the classic style home, I think there are some nice ones in Mayberry Park for under 250k. Smaller, but the area is nice and Darling was the builder. Wilmeth as well.

Also, Highland builds in Ridgecrest that's right beside my area, but not in SBR (uses Wilmeth now, but I've seen it zoned for other Elementaries in the past). Even though the area isn't SBR, I like the area because it feels like it is part of SBR. The homes there are also more affordable per sq/ft than SBR. Check it out on Highland's site. There is some pants dropping going on over at Aspendale per a previous poster, and since it sounds like she got 3400 sq feet built with upgrades for under 280k, that may be the best deal in north dallas. I would be suspicious of 'why' they need to discount so heavily there. Your Realtor can verify this for you. Remember here, cheapest is not always best for resale. I look for communities that sell/sold out before their projected target. Many times, these communities command a 15 dollar per sq/ft premium over others that struggled selling out.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
It's also Ogle, which is not my favorite Elementary school in Frisco ISD.

Remind me of your price range ?

Also, if you like the classic style home, I think there are some nice ones in Mayberry Park for under 250k. Smaller, but the area is nice and Darling was the builder. Wilmeth as well.

Also, Highland builds in Ridgecrest that's right beside my area, but not in SBR. Even though the area isn't SBR, I like the area because it feels like it is part of SBR. The homes there are also affordable. Check it out on Highland's site. There is some pants dropping going on over at Aspendale per a previous poster, and since it sounds like she got 3400 sq feet built with upgrades for under 280k, that may be the best deal in north dallas. I would be suspicious of 'why' they need to discount so heavily there. Your Realtor can verify this for you.
My limit is 300k, but the floor plan I want kind of limits me. I want 4 brs up with a gameroom and the master down. I will mention Ridgecrest to Jeff.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:28 AM

A gameroom down ? The only home I've seen that has something like this is from David Weekly. It has the two kids room adjoined to some open space in the middle that you can make a play area. Great for kids, but far from a game room because it's only say 10x10.

For 4 Bdrs up, you will probably need to jump up to the 3700 sq/ft and above range, which would blow your budget unless you go with a lower tier builder like DR Horton. Then the tradeoff there is that you'd have the biggest house in the area. Have you looked at resales that may have this setup ?

I have 5 bedrooms and a Game/Media room combo, but to get this I had to convert the downstairs den to a bedroom (which Darling did for free) and I use one of the bedrooms upstairs as a den (much more secluded, so kids wont bother me - i work from home alot). Recall that having an extra bedroom down is good for resale because it allows people to take care of an elderly parent and such. Is there any way you can have 5 bedrooms, but one down ? Maybe put your youngest closest to you guys downstairs ?

Old 05-30-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
A gameroom down ? The only home I've seen that has something like this is from David Weekly. It has the two kids room adjoined to some open space in the middle that you can make a play area. Great for kids, but far from a game room because it's only say 10x10.

For 4 Bdrs up, you will probably need to jump up to the 3700 sq/ft and above range, which would blow your budget unless you go with a lower tier builder like DR Horton. Then the tradeoff there is that you'd have the biggest house in the area. Have you looked at resales that may have this setup ?

I have 5 bedrooms and a Game/Media room combo, but to get this I had to convert the downstairs den to a bedroom (which Darling did for free) and I use one of the bedrooms upstairs as a den (much more secluded, so kids wont bother me - i work from home alot). Recall that having an extra bedroom down is good for resale because it allows people to take care of an elderly parent and such. Is there any way you can have 5 bedrooms, but one down ? Maybe put your youngest closest to you guys downstairs ?

Sorry I meant game room up. My wife who is not completely thrilled with the possibility of moving to Dallas has given me my orders that 4 brs must be upstairs along with a gameroom, if I could somehow get a media room too that would just be a bonus but it is not necessary. This is the sacrifice I have to make. I would make the study downstairs a bedroom so my in laws can visit and stay with us.

A couple of things can happen.
1- I get what I want as far as bedrooms etc with a good builder but the area might be more north in Frisco or Prosper or Mckinney

2- I pick a builder 1 tier down and get the location and the floor plan I want.

Anywho, it will be fun to figure this all out

EDIT: Highland has something that could work in Ridgecrest, will have to check it out.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:13 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,457,861 times
One warning. Do not opt for an open game room floor plan. You'll find it difficult to get away from the noise.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
One warning. Do not opt for an open game room floor plan. You'll find it difficult to get away from the noise.

You mean one that opens into the downstairs right ? I agree, the noise will travel on those types if the area opens into the downstairs and has a chance to reverb off solid surfaces.

Derek - which plan at Ridgecrest ? Give me a number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or