Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:02 PM

549 posts, read 2,189,405 times

Advertisements

Ok I see. Well I will just have to see what the budget allows for.

Thanks as always for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 10:09 AM

Mike/Socketz,

What insulation numbers is Darling giving you?

Old 06-01-2007, 04:43 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,400,505 times
R38 in the horizontals then I believe something lower in the verticals.

Most energy is lost through the roof, so they typically put higher end insulation in the cieling and more standard insulation in the walls.

Your in Frisco, so there may be energy codes that ALL builders need to follow. For instance I believe in 2007 that it is mandatory they put Radiant Barrier in the home. The gal at Highland in Cobb Hill told me about this...

Old 06-01-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
R38 in the horizontals then I believe something lower in the verticals.

Most energy is lost through the roof, so they typically put higher end insulation in the cieling and more standard insulation in the walls.

Your in Frisco, so there may be energy codes that ALL builders need to follow. For instance I believe in 2007 that it is mandatory they put Radiant Barrier in the home. The gal at Highland in Cobb Hill told me about this...
OK Thanks. Not sure where I will end up but we shall see. Are you getting 14 seer cac?

Also is radiant barrier as good or better than the stuff they spray in the ceiling? I cant remember what it is called.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:20 PM

They are both Radiant barrier as that is more of the general term used for products that radiate heat away from the home.

Kool-Ply is what you'd get if you bought new (~1500 bucks, but it is said to save $100 a month). The spray on type is not as efficient and cost alot more to install because the home is already built. It is the only option you have for pre-existing homes.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:25 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,130,452 times
Actually I've heard of a roll of aluminum foilesque product that is available for existing homes as well. I'll have to research them all before we do our attic.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:38 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,724,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY - Dallas View Post
Wow that much for a media room?

What kind of upgrades do you think I would need? Do you mean carpet pad and stuff like that?
You will want to spend the money on the best carpet pad they offer. This will help the life and wear of your carpet A LOT! As socketz said, upgrade to the 16" tiles instead of 12" for any tiled areas like the entry, kitchen and master bath unless you do wood in the entry and kitchen (and wood in hallways and main living areas is also nice). The upstairs baths don't have to be 16". Not only are the 16" or wood expected they also help the room look larger. Do NOT put carpet in any part of any bathroom. The previous owners of our house put carpet in the vanity areas of all the bathrooms upstairs, yuck! While the bathtub and toilet areas are tiled the vanity areas have carpet and where do you think the kids stand when they get out of the tub and think they are dried off? On the carpet.

As for the media room by city codes if there ARE windows it MUST have a closet. Since there is no closet depicted on that those may not be windows. Ask for sure as it could just be a roof inset even though it is not dotted or a wall column. Since the room can be converted to a media room think about how you would want it layed out if it were. You may want to put a large wall of closets on the far end that can later be used to store media equipment and speakers. Or two closets on either end of the far wall w/ built-ins between. The closets later could be used for media equipment and the shelves of the built-ins removed for a screen.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:51 AM

Also, I checked and Media Rooms are less than what I had mentioned (less than 15k). I had remembered the 25k because I was looking at Game Rooms with a bath upstairs when I was researching 1 stories.

Definitely smaller tiles work in the secondary areas/baths. You just need to be conscience of the entrance, that area gets critiqued heavily when you sell.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:50 AM

Oh man you guys are killing me with these upgrades

Old 06-02-2007, 12:12 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,724,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY - Dallas View Post
Oh man you guys are killing me with these upgrades
Don't forget to paint the garage floor w/ that special stuff that takes like 5-6 days to do and goes on in stages. Best to do it BEFORE you move in, lol. Even the mere thought of having to clean out EVERYTHING in our garage now, scrub the floors, and do this process is enough to keep me from doing it.

Hmm, what other upgrades can we come up with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: