Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 04:50 PM

279 posts, read 1,159,256 times

Advertisements

Ok so i'm moving to Dallas and wondered if there are gay friendly towns there? I know some can be more so then others. I heard of the area around Mockingbird Lane but what about Mckinney, Allen, Plano, Dallas, Garland, Rockwall, Mesquite, etc etc.

How is the economy for collections representatives in Dallas?

Are some towns more accessible by train to downtowns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 05:01 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,502,526 times
The oldest and largest gayborhood in the city of Dallas is Oak Lawn which is about 2 miles NW of Downtown Dallas. Another area with a large gay population is Oak Cliff, which is about 3 miles SW of Downtown Dallas. Gay people live all over the city so you don't necessarily have to live in a gayborhood to be accepted because Dallas is generally very gay friendly. Of the suburbs that you mention, I don't know much about any of them except for Plano. It is a very large suburb about 20 miles north of Downtown Dallas and there are lots of gays living there.

Don't know anything about the economy as it pertains to collections reps. As for train service to Downtown, you would be riding DART light rail DART.org - DART Rail System Map. There is service to Garland and Plano but I don't think it has reached the other suburbs that you mentioned at this point. If you're looking for gay friendly areas and easy access to Downtown, you'll probably be happiest inside the city of Dallas.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:07 PM

279 posts, read 1,159,256 times
Thanks Dallas Native.......
I'm looking for a house with a pool or room for a pool $300k and less and saw alot I really liked...I'll start seeing if anything is in the areas you mentioned.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:11 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,735,290 times
I honestly don't know how gay friendly the towns you mentioned but you have to keep in mind that they are more family oriented and I am not sure if that is what you are looking for. Out of all of them, I think Plano and Dallas might be the best. Garland, Mesquite, Rockwall...and maybe Allen and McKinney...not so much so. Oak Lawn area is known more for gays and it is in Dallas, not far from downtown and other places like McKinney Ave, Knox-Henderson, etc. There are rail and transit systems but the towns are not close together. McKinney is about 32 miles from downtown Dallas and with traffic can take forever...sometimes over an hour if traffic is bad and it normally is. Someone else might be able to give you a better answer. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:21 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,502,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasboi View Post
Thanks Dallas Native.......
I'm looking for a house with a pool or room for a pool $300k and less and saw alot I really liked...I'll start seeing if anything is in the areas you mentioned.
You can probably find a small-ish house with a pool on the edge of Kessler Park (VERY gay friendly) for that price http://www.kesslerpark.org/about.htm . This is in an area of Dallas commonly referred to as Oak Cliff The Neighborhoods of Oak Cliff. Look in zip codes 75208 and 75211.

Oak Lawn is mostly townhomes, condos and commercial with very few single family homes left. One 'hood there that might have what you are looking for is Oak Lawn Hts. It's very nice, but it's also located directly under the flight path to Love Field airport - so it can be noisy. But there would probably be homes with pools priced around $300k there. It's just north of the main commercial strip for gay bars and businesses, Cedar Springs Rd.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:56 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,000,832 times
South of Mockingbird is good - you might want to steer more towards Cochran Heights, Vickery Place, Hollywood Heights and Junius Heights.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:02 PM

29 posts, read 68,403 times
Where are the lesbian hotspots in DFW?

Old 01-14-2010, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 14,739 times
Ideally, you want to be in Oak Lawn/Uptown/Turtle Creek (the entire gay area), but it can be very expensive. You can get a great deal on houses north of Inwood (Marsh/Royal Lane area) - and tons of gays have gentrified the area. Kessler Park was a great suggestion, too. A little farther, but totally cute neighborhood with neat little fixer-upper ginger bread houses (tutor) and yards.

I've also owned a home in Las Colinas - there wasn't a day that went by I didn't run into gays in the produce section at Kroger or any number of places off of MacArthur/635 area.

McKinney - absolutely straightville. There actually are cornfields there - no kidding. And, your friends will never visit you that far out. Stay close to downtown Dallas/Oak Lawn/Uptown and you will be fine.

I highly suggest contacting Armando Gonzalez by visiting [url]http://www.glbtdallas.com[/url]. Armando does marketing and PR for the City of Dallas' LGBT niche market (my old position before moving to NYC). Tell him Jason referred you. Armando can give you every bit of information you need, including a plethora of resources to help you become acclimated with the city and make your transition to Dallas a good one.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:46 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,196,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Irizarry: La Vuelta View Post
Where are the lesbian hotspots in DFW?
Sue Ellen's in Oak Lawn

Old 01-14-2010, 07:49 PM

29 posts, read 68,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Sue Ellen's in Oak Lawn
Oh that sh*t was cold, guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas