U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:43 PM

313 posts, read 1,569,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
LOK222, you could almost walk to the Colony from where you are in SW Frisco.

Teel to Lebanon West, then South on 423....maybe 4 miles ? Actually, Stonebriar lies next to the Colony, but they went out of their way to design it so that you don't know the Colony is there....

Go to Google Maps and check it out....

http://maps.google.com/

The area that appears to be empty there on the map on west Lebanon is where Phillips Creek Ranch will be built. Huge new 350k+ community. That is also being built next to the Colony.

It really amazes me how Texas can build such vastly different communities so close together.

I think I have seen a Colony water tower..

I'm still learning my way around, I pretty much travel from work to home and to the parks with my daughter.. I dont know a lot yet here, but I know good places to do what we like to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 10:46 PM

313 posts, read 1,569,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Here's some photos of F&J homes I found online:

http://images.internest.com/foxandjacobscharlotte/property9451.JPG (broken link)

They don't look too bad. These are dream homes in CA.
wow.. not bad, cant we pick them up and plant them in DC? we'd make a killing!

Old 05-25-2007, 11:08 PM

37 posts, read 205,028 times
the earlier posters were right about the quality i was recently in a brand new centex home community a friend of mine bought and it looked and felt like the projects and these were brand new

Old 05-26-2007, 05:38 AM

3,035 posts, read 13,019,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breriley View Post
the earlier posters were right about the quality i was recently in a brand new centex home community a friend of mine bought and it looked and felt like the projects and these were brand new
I've been in DR Horton communities that feel the same way.

-Everyone tries to maintain their own yard in their own way
-Homes all look identical and tend to utilize design elements from the last decade or not well thought out modern elements
-Lax HOAs
-Trees are completely removed
-Distributed open space is lacking, there is usually one park right in the middle
-Lots of rentals, and it shows
-Lots of cars parked on the streets
-Homes are close to sidewalks, so the space seems even tighter
-Streets are narrow and all of them connect to one another, so thru traffic is eclectic

It's just an overall feeling you get, and it only gets worse over time. In nicer areas, you pay close to 35% more, but these areas are much more thought out - and in my opinion - will preserve their value better over time.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,693 times
I purchased a F&J Home in August 2006. It was built in 2000, it was only 6 years old when I purchased it now it is only 8 years old. It is nice and roomy but I have noticed nails have started to look like they are coming loose out of the ceiling in just about every room and also the roof leaked and now the ceiling is messed up this should not be happening in a fairly new home. Does anyone know where I can call about my 10 year home warranty I have the book the original owners left but the telephone number in the book is no good anymore, also will F&J cover a roof that is less than 10 years old and problem with the nails loosening up? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:26 PM

1,917 posts, read 6,303,189 times
Yes you can contact Centex. Go online and fill in a warranty request. I owned a F&J home for 8 years and sold it last year. Never had any major problems. Great starter home. If ever I had a warranty issue they were quick to come out and fix it even when it was out of warranty.
Good customer service.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:55 PM

29,920 posts, read 34,517,946 times
The Centex 10 year warranty is for the foundation and even it is through a warranty company. The items you described will probably not be covered. You are probably out of luck on getting them to repair any of these issues.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:17 PM

480 posts, read 770,942 times
I've heard only negative things about Fox and Jacobs..and the houses I've been in are gawd awful. Try Toll Brothers...there are others, but it has been a while and I can't remember.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:32 PM

3,535 posts, read 6,952,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Fox & Jacobs aka F&J are the same company as Centex. Are they back to using the old F&J name again? LOL!!! Years ago it was just Fox & Jacobs then they changed their name to Centex. Brought back several years ago the F&J name but for a lower end home and they tried w/o any success to build a Centex custom home (lmao, is there such a thing). Soon the Centex homes dropped to the same quality (lack thereof) as the F&J homes. They keep phasing F&J in and out.
To be honest if this is their first house they could probably do a lot better finding an older home than some of the F&J stuff.
Our old neighborhood in Garland was destroyed by F&J coming in. It was a nice custom home neighborhood that would probably remind most of the Eastern Hills CC area. Except that in the early 80s housing bust the developer pulled out and F&J moved in. Driving down Kingsbridge you can see the houses change abrubtly from the pleasant custom homes to the #1, #2, #3, #4, repeat sequence Cracker Jack Box homes. DH and most of the neighbors on his street took a $25K hit on their appraisals within 6 months of the first F&J going up. Sure it's great for property tax, but jeez in the mid-80's that was a lot of money in equity down the drain.

And as you drive thru the neighborhood you'll see that the quality of the homes themselves is really bad. Things are falling apart structurally that just shouldn't even after a couple of decades.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:14 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,236,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Our old neighborhood in Garland was destroyed by F&J coming in. It was a nice custom home neighborhood that would probably remind most of the Eastern Hills CC area. Except that in the early 80s housing bust the developer pulled out and F&J moved in. Driving down Kingsbridge you can see the houses change abrubtly from the pleasant custom homes to the #1, #2, #3, #4, repeat sequence Cracker Jack Box homes. DH and most of the neighbors on his street took a $25K hit on their appraisals within 6 months of the first F&J going up. Sure it's great for property tax, but jeez in the mid-80's that was a lot of money in equity down the drain.

And as you drive thru the neighborhood you'll see that the quality of the homes themselves is really bad. Things are falling apart structurally that just shouldn't even after a couple of decades.
Know EXACTLY what area your talking about. The older custom homes still look well cared for, the yards look great, houses are holding value, etc. Even the elem. school amidst them is well rated. Then BAM! F&J hell. Unkept yards, houses falling down and uncared for, etc.

I'm glad that Garland DID have plenty of neighborhoods built PRIOR to F&J getting too big of a foothold on the area like they did over in Carrollton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas