U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:45 PM

20 posts, read 65,469 times

Advertisements

Well, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have done it. Had some major construction issues within my first two years in that house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 10:31 PM

123 posts, read 473,543 times
I owned one and loved it. Bought it cheap and right across the street from Stonebridge. We actually made quite a nice chunk of change when we sold it. Which really surprised us, mainly because we sold it at the beginning of this year when the market was bad. And it only took 2 months to sell it, another big shock. We lived there for 4 years and it was our very first house. Never had any problems at all. Well no, I'm lying the fences that they put in sucked. But we didn't stain ours, so that was part of the problem. We had both of our sons in that house and now we absolutely miss it. Even though we only lived there for 4 years we have many good memories from there. I would absolutely recommend a F&J to anyone buying a starter house. Of course if you've owned a higher-end home before you wouldn't want an F&J. But we did have separate shower and garden tub, tile in the kitchen, pantry, and bathrooms and tons of room. I just wish that they had more character to them, but character = money. Something we didn't have at the time.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:31 AM

2,395 posts, read 7,606,148 times
A little off subject, but if you have a home built a while back - let's say in the 70's - how does one find out who the builder was?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:20 AM

134 posts, read 453,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Our old neighborhood in Garland was destroyed by F&J coming in. It was a nice custom home neighborhood that would probably remind most of the Eastern Hills CC area. Except that in the early 80s housing bust the developer pulled out and F&J moved in. Driving down Kingsbridge you can see the houses change abrubtly from the pleasant custom homes to the #1, #2, #3, #4, repeat sequence Cracker Jack Box homes. DH and most of the neighbors on his street took a $25K hit on their appraisals within 6 months of the first F&J going up. Sure it's great for property tax, but jeez in the mid-80's that was a lot of money in equity down the drain.

And as you drive thru the neighborhood you'll see that the quality of the homes themselves is really bad. Things are falling apart structurally that just shouldn't even after a couple of decades.
Ha ha! I grew up in that neighborhood! Driving through it now makes me really sad. Actually, our house wasn't an F&J but a St. John or St. Paul, which is pretty much the same thing. My parents really kept up with our house, but the foundation gave out right at 20 yrs (not surprising for this area). Everything seemed to go out at least once despite all the maintenance they poured into it, so they finally let it go. The new owners haven't even repainted it, and it's been over 10 years.

My husband and I have a William Ryan for our starter home, and I'm completely happy with it. Husband used to work with a lot of builders, so he knew the ones to avoid, and we lucked out by getting a very good realtor.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,631 times
I know this post is late but I felt compelled to comment...

I have a fox and jacobs home in the colony. It's foundation has failed severely as well as every other house in the neighborhood. So far every foundation company has no-bid a complete repair. I have had several companies willing to perform partial repairs but would not offer warrantees.

Core samples confirm that the foundation was poured without "beams" - A clear code violation. (the deeper channels around the perimiter and load bearing walls). Unfortunately the statute of limitations prevents me from pursueing this avenue. If you look in wikipedia you will find fox and jacobs was the government in the early times. The city inspector actually worked for fox and jacobs. - conflict of interest? Further research has shown that every house in the subdivision does not have beams.

Now I find out that 21-22 years ago a group of homeowners successfully filed lawsuits against fox and jacobs for this practice and won. This causing them to go out of business and transfer their assets to Centex homes. Too bad the records seem to be missing for these lawsuits. The title search company never disclosed this information to us when we purchased the house.

If anyone has any information on a specific case please forward it to me. I have 6 months left before the statue of limitations runs out.

Buyer beware!

Old 12-09-2008, 02:07 AM

4,128 posts, read 13,159,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2719 View Post

I have a fox and jacobs home in the colony. It's foundation has failed severely as well as every other house in the neighborhood. So far every foundation company has no-bid a complete repair. I have had several companies willing to perform partial repairs but would not offer warrantees.

Core samples confirm that the foundation was poured without "beams" - A clear code violation. (the deeper channels around the perimiter and load bearing walls). Unfortunately the statute of limitations prevents me from pursueing this avenue. If you look in wikipedia you will find fox and jacobs was the government in the early times. The city inspector actually worked for fox and jacobs. - conflict of interest? Further research has shown that every house in the subdivision does not have beams.

Now I find out that 21-22 years ago a group of homeowners successfully filed lawsuits against fox and jacobs for this practice and won. This causing them to go out of business and transfer their assets to Centex homes. Too bad the records seem to be missing for these lawsuits. The title search company never disclosed this information to us when we purchased the house.

If anyone has any information on a specific case please forward it to me. I have 6 months left before the statue of limitations runs out.

Buyer beware!
What statute of limitations are you talking about? How old is the house? If it's less than 10 years and has never been foreclosed on and no foundation work has been performed by a 3rd party, then you are still covered by the builders warranty. F&J is not out of business, they are owned by Centex and still build homes.

Title search doesn't show lawsuit, unless it's a lien on the property. When you purchased the house, did you have a home inspection done? did it look like the foundation would have issues in the future?

If you are considering litigation, you probably want to consult an attorney.

Naima

Old 01-01-2009, 02:20 AM

3 posts, read 12,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2719 View Post

Buyer beware!
Sorry about the problems you are having with your home.

Do you have the link on wikipedia with the Fox & Jacobs information? I usually do not rely on that site for my information, but it does sound like an interesting read. ( I tried to find the info but could not...but it is early morning and I am sleep deprived- lol.)

Having lived in the metroplex for some time I believe that I remember that "The Colony" was the subdivision name and it was build in what was at the time just pasture land outside of any city limits. It was some time later after the community grew that it became an official city. I guess that is where you get that the Government was Fox & Jacobs?

So you say that a lawsuit over this was what caused Fox & Jacobs to sell the company to Centex, but that the lawsuit records have all been lost? How did you find out about this?

I am not surprised that the title search company did not disclose the lawsuit as it is not something that is part of the title search/policy.

What codes were violated? City code? Was your home built after the area became a city and the code was in place? Or, are you talking about some sort of county or state code? Or was the foundation method acceptable standard at the time and then later was updated due to the discovery of failures?

What year was your home built?

I purchased a F&J home in Lewisville built in 1970. It has held up well, and has amenities that others in its price range did not. Thirty years later I still own the home and it is holding its own as a rental property.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Here's some photos of F&J homes I found online:

They don't look too bad. These are dream homes in CA.
We are about to build a Centex home in Little Elm. After needing to move here for my job, we were amazed that our "starter" home was pretty darn near what we had only hoped to own "someday" in Southern California.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 9,033 times
Our first home was a F&J built in the early 80's in The Colony. It was small, but the foundation was fine for all those years. In 2004, we built a F&J home in Justin/North Fort Worth. Our foundation is failing. Our Homeowners Insurance company sent out an engineer and has determined that the cause was from the builder not building properly. I'm waiting on a copy of the full report, but this extreme heat is making the damage so much worse. The engineer from Pulte/Centex/F&J came out and said he'd recommend that F&J put in 10-12 piers. The private companies and other engineers recommend many more. Anyone fought this battle and had everything fixed and replaced (all the windows, floors from drilling, seals on everything)? Not a single call from the builder, just the rep that came out last summer and said there was nothing wrong.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:26 PM

621 posts, read 1,107,812 times
My friend had a Fox and Jacobs home years ago and it was a mess. Mis matched sized windows, bad plumbing, poor quality thruout...He sold it at a huge loss because he was honest and told the new buyers everything! ( which I believe is the way to be myself)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas