U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 01:24 PM

373 posts, read 530,313 times

Advertisements

Correct me if I am wrong, Fox and Jacobs was in involved in a foundation to Block Bust, that helped to Stampede people out of the inner cities into new suburband development in the late 60's early 70's.

Granted it was foolish to act like cattle and stampede giving houses away that were often rather well made. Of course the stated purpose of the foundation was help deserving people get into homes.....

When will the next stampede be, perhaps back into inner cityareas.

Given a choice I would be reluctant to do biz with them. Look around the Big D and burbs and see all the green wood and sloppy work. Slums waiting to happen.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 09:15 PM
dgz

800 posts, read 2,915,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Actually F&J built a pretty good starter home once upon a time and it was Centennial (Centex before the rename) that built the sub-standard product. I know because I owned both many years ago. I think Centex bought out F&J.

But do not make a decision based upon ancient history or rumor… go see the product and talk to current owners.
yeah, I had a nice F&J house in Plano. It was built in the 70s but in some ways it felt more *solid* than the 10-year-old DR Horton place I'm in right now. And my electric bill was much lower there than the new place (even though I've only increased my sq footage by 400).

I did some remodeling on the F&J house and I didn't find anything out of place. It was a cute little place and in 2009, I sold it within 2 weeks of putting it on the market.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:37 AM

2 posts, read 562 times
I have been reading the posts about Fox & Jacobs homes. My husband and I both worked for the company for many years. We bought 4 homes from them. They were all of good quality. Back in the 70's is when they were the biggest builder in Dallas and then started building in Bedford, Frisco, Ft.Worth etc. They would go and buy huge amounts of land and start new sub divisions. We built the first house in the Colony. My home was on Ashlock and it was a very pretty house. We always made a profit when we sold our homes. Back when we were building in the Colony we had to go to Little Elm to find a store. Most of the time it was Lewisville. I haven't been to the Colony in years, but I do know about the growth. When Fox&Jacobs started building in Summerfied off I-35 and Loop 820 there was nothing there. We had to go to Haltom City to find a store. As you probably know the growth out that way is something else. Thousands of homes and the speedway are there. It was all country when we moved there. I really miss that company. It was a good place to work and employed many people. That company helped build Dallas/ Ft.Worth. We always tried to build a quality home.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 562 times
For those of you that think F&J homes are tacky they were not at the time they were built. Fox & Jacobs was not a custom home builder. This was called tract housing. If you wanted something on a higher end there were custom builders for that. F&J offered 3 different products. The Today was small home a little over a 1,000 sq.ft. it was for first time homeowners. Then there was the Accent home for a mover up home. It was a little larger, usually around 1,500 to 1,700 sq.ft. and finally the Flair. It was anywhere from 1,800 to 2,200 sq. ft. These homes were built for the everyday working family. Maybe those who could not afford to invest in custom home. Dave Fox tried to give the everyday person a nice home to live in. Centex homes came in from another state and finally bought out Fox & Jacobs home. They took over and eventually drooped the Fox and Jacobs name. F& J was a Dallas based company. Dave Fox and his partner Jacobs started building in the 1940's . Fox eventually bought Jacobs out and continued building. Back in the hay day of the 70's people in this area weren't building the huge fancy homes that they build these days. As Dallas/Ft,Worth grew and people from all around the country moved here things changed and homes got fancier and bigger and much more expensive. The homes built these days can not be compared to what we did back in the 70's. I feel good about the product we put out back then.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:32 AM

3,583 posts, read 1,510,560 times
The thing that killed the Fox and Jacobs name's reputation was foundation problems on slab houses built in the 70s. Thin slabs with inadequate rebar, prior to the development of the post-tensioned slab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas