Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:00 PM

18 posts, read 51,488 times

Advertisements

Question for the group.

If you had the chance to work from anywhere in the world for a few months, where would you go?

Here's my situation:

I work for an internet company (70% of the internet goes across our equipment) and they don't really care where I work as long as my projects get done on time and I'm available during the 8-5 PST time for conf.calls and misc. mtgs.

2 years ago I worked from China for about 7 months while my wife and I waited for her visa approval to come through. It was highly enriching and entertaining to see how life actually revolves in a completely different country as well as getting to spend time with her family and friends. In addition, the cost of living was substantially less than in the US so we were able to save a nice amount. My company had no idea I was over there since I was online from Midnight to 8am (which equals 8-5 PST). They would ask on our conf.calls how the weather was in Texas and I would quickly logon to weather dot com to find out. LOL! (fyi: we use IP phones so it looks like I'm dialing from Texas on their caller id)

What her and I have both contemplated now is the thought of trying this out with a few more countries. We'll be starting a family within the next few years so it makes sense for us to try and do some traveling before we finally "settle down" officially into the new house were building in SBR.

So, if you had the chance where would you "live" for a few months? Be realistic since the cost of living is important, but not the ultimate deal-breaker. We can live very modestly in a rental apartment any where in the world as long as the internet connection is decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 07:03 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Cabo San Lucas or an island off Belize.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:07 PM

Tried that already.

Internet stinks in Mexico (I need at least a 1Mb connection). And I'm a fair skin blonde so the sun locations are rather unappealing to me. My wife doesn't care for the sun either. That's another one of those differences between US and China. It's not uncommon to see thousands of Chinese women walking around downtown Shanghai or Beijing with an umbrella trying to stay as white as possible. (white = rich / tan = worker). Much like the US was back in the early 1900s.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 PM

454 posts, read 1,339,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachy2007 View Post
So, if you had the chance where would you "live" for a few months? Be realistic since the cost of living is important, but not the ultimate deal-breaker. We can live very modestly in a rental apartment any where in the world as long as the internet connection is decent.
Greece, Ireland.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:10 PM

Hmmm... Ireland... hadn't thought of that one, but it sounds promising. Need to check the cost of living vs. Texas. If it's anything like England/London then no way. That's about a double (Lb vs. Dollar)

Old 06-04-2007, 07:18 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.

I'm actually going on a tour of the colonial cities of Mexico this fall with my mom - San Luis Potosi, Doloris Hildago, San Miguel, Guanajuato, Patzcuaro and Morelia. I'll come and visit you if you choose San Miguel :-)

Old 06-04-2007, 07:43 PM

58 posts, read 250,228 times
Default hey gulf5!!

I lived in Guanajuato for a little while a few years ago...amazing city! I hope you enjoy your trip and really embrace the culture while you are there...PM me if you have any questions!

Old 06-04-2007, 07:50 PM

709 posts, read 3,473,816 times
Austria would be my choice. This has always been a dream of mine. I however have never thought of living there permanently and I've never thought about what the cost of living would be.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:58 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I have been to Vienna and Salzburg several times -- I've met Americans there who say the language is harder than you might imagine (a lot of idioms, etc) but they really enjoy living there after mastering it...

Old 06-04-2007, 08:17 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
The internet in Cabo is much better. That place is more Americanized than some parts of America. LOL!!! Wi/fi connections are all over the place. But it is sunny but it is also dry and you do see a lot of people staying out of the sun. Good climate year round lots of art galleries, great restaurants (best Italian place I've been to in a LONG time by a REAL Italian was there, lol).

Okay so the real tropical islands are out. Hmmm........ I like the thought of Greece. How about Italy, Monaco (ouch to the col though), Spain, Portugal. The coast of Spain or Italy sound awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas