Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 04:02 PM

194 posts, read 644,508 times

Advertisements

We will be moving sometime in March and we have the following questions:

1. We see that Plano has one of the best high schools there. Any others we should consider? How bad would the commute be from Plano to Irving and to downtown? My wife will be working at the Children's hospital downtown and I will be working in Irving. However my wife would mostly be working night shift which means she would travel TO downtown in the evening and travel back to Plano in the morning. Should we be looking somewhere else other than Plano?

2. What are the best luxury apartments/condos to rent and where are they based on commute time to downtown and also Irving.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 04:11 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,413,071 times
Just to be clear - Plano has 5 high schools which is grades 9-10 which feed into 3 senior high schools which is grades 11-12. The 3 senior highs are named Plano Senior (the original one) and Plano East and Plano West. Which one did you hear was "the good one"?

Old 01-23-2010, 04:18 PM

We would be looking at the Senior high schools because my daughter is in the 11th grade. We heard it was Plano West.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:25 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,413,071 times
Actually, they are all good - all large schools full of very academically competitive kids.

If you are in West Plano you can go back and forth to downtown Dallas fairly efficiently on the Dallas North Tollway. Just get a tolltag and attach it to your car and it will charge your credit card. You can get over to Irving on another tollway called George Bush. Traffic moves a lot better on the tollways.

You could also look at Coppell, Grapevine, and maybe Flower Mound.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:45 PM

6,744 posts, read 13,956,658 times
Coppell would be a better match. Your wife would take I-35 which is not bad at all during non-rush hour. Irving would be much closer for you. Coppell has great schools and I am sure you would be happy there.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:48 PM

It's funny that you just said that Grainraiser. We got in touch with an "apartment finder" person and they said the same thing. I checked out Coppell High School and it looks wonderful. We are also looking into renting a townhome at the "Mansions by the lake" which is in the Coppell High school district.

My wife is a night shift nurse so she would be traveling TO DOWNTOWN in the evening and traveling back to Coppell in the morning. The complete opposite of rush hour (I hope).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas