Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,639 times

Advertisements

We recently moved from Austin and were looking for homes close to irving with good school district. We came to know that Coppell ISD is one of the best schools and valleranch has homes with Coppell ISD. There are some new homes built by grand homes but the prices look way too expensive ranging between $520k - $550 for 4 bed 3 bath...we are not sure if we should go that high in Irving area.

Can anyone please give us suggestions on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 05:18 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
What I'm about to say is purely personal opinion but I do a lot of business in Irving / Coppell / Flower Mound and all the areas around those cities. I have a construction background and been in RE 14 years so I do know good from bad. I’ve been watching Grand build in the area for years and have seen their product new and as resales.

Grand is 1 of 3 builders that I warn my customers to avoid. I have seen many of their homes that have serious issues after 2 years. They have a pretty poor reputation among the knowledgeable RE agent community and I honestly believe a Grand Home is much harder to resale due to Grand’s Reputation. I believe their models are always flashy but what you see is not what you get. They cut corners whenever possible.

The area these homes are in has been under construction for several years and sales there are very slow. The only thing they have going for it is the Coppell ISD.

I would encourage you to talk to David Weekly in Coppell. Their new subdivision might cost a little more but should be a better investment. I would even go to Castle Hills which still has some new construction and good schools before I bought the Grand home.

I would personally not buy the Grand home or recommend them.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:34 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Just do a search on here and on the net for Grand Homes. I'm sure you will see why so many people say RUN FROM GRAND! You can even go to the county websites and see how many court cases have been filed against them. They have plenty.

And $500K and up for a Grand Home....... I wouldn't give $100K for ANY Grand Home. Seriously.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:36 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
And $500K and up for a Grand Home....... I wouldn't give $100K for ANY Grand Home. Seriously.
I agree. I always semi-joke that if someone gave me a Grand Home, I would give it back.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:37 PM

473 posts, read 1,199,271 times
Grand homes in Valley Ranch are over way over priced in my personal opinion. In 1st Qtr 2009 they increased the new home prices in Valley Ranch by 20-25% during a time when the real estate prices were stagnant or falling across US.We decided to look in Flower Mound instead and bought a home there. The prices you mention are another 25% over and above the increase i mentioned. I think the buyers are responsible for this flux as much as the builder who took advantage of them.These buyers don't realize that out of the 20+ new homes now available to choose when they actually resell this house few years later they are part of a much larger inventory in the existing homes market. Most of these homes are smaller lot sizes of 6000- 6500 Sq. Ft with Sq. Ft of around 3500 plus. I didn't realize the construction quality difference until this friend of mine from Valley Ranch (owns a Grand Home) visited us and told us the differences (our is a Highland home).

Old 01-26-2010, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 5,639 times
Thanks all, for the info. are there any new contructions in the midcities like Addison or carrolton? castle hills is almost close to 121 which would be a long commute for us? Please advise

Old 01-26-2010, 09:26 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
If you like Coppell why not just buy a pre-existing house there. It is a GREAT community and would be far better than the other two options you are mentioning. There is nothing at all wrong w/ a pre-existing home. As a matter of fact in most areas that are more desired the pre-existing homes have a better rate of appreciation and sell far better. Stick with Coppell but let go of the "must be a brand new home" theory.

FYI, Addison is NOT a big single family home area. It is more retail, entertainment, restaurants and apartments. It is very land locked and there are no new builds there for single family homes.

For the record, a much older pre-existing home in Coppell will be a MUCH BETTER investment than a Grand Home anywhere. And you will have a lot less headaches.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Most of Addison is in the Dallas school district.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:17 PM

4 posts, read 8,328 times
We recently saw a Grand home in Frisco for $290K and were looking forward to sign the contract. But after reading the above posts on Grand homes I am hesistant now Please suggest some good builders and community for Frisco area. Thanks

Old 02-02-2010, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,670 times
Smile Grand Homes - Simply say NO NO

If you are very much interested in Coppell ISD, you can surely look for Darling homes,,, they have very good reputation.
Basically a good realtor goes according to the rating given by JD Power.
You can visit their website also.
I think some homes have come for resale too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas