Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:24 PM

5 posts, read 11,663 times

Advertisements

I read this and felt I had to respond. As somebody who majored in English literature and has a passion for reading and writing, I knew I wanted to go into teaching to share those interests and try to inspire them in students. I minored in education, became certified right after college, and have taught now for three years. I love it, and I have a fantastic relationship with my students and peers. I plan on being in teaching for the long haul - I am not "hiding," nor am I teaching because I "can't find a job elsewhere" (I could - I graduated magna *** laude from a great university). I have far more energy and excitement about my career and my time working with students than many of the older, more experienced colleagues (who, understandably, are often incredibly burned out and jaded). All of this to say, it's sad to see parents that make such blanket statements and generalizations about young teachers, education majors or not. Please trust somebody in the field of education - there is no one path to being a fantastic teacher as far as background, and to say otherwise is a very close-minded and judgmental opinion. Passion, enthusiasm, love of subject and students, and a solid work ethic and sense of commitment are all far more important than whether a teacher is old, young, education major, teaching as a second/third career, etc (and I know...stating the obvious! However, it seems like this post needed it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 07:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
there is no real middle road in teaching it seems to me
either you love it and see it as a mission and one of the greatest legal highs around--or you can't get with it, don't want to do what it takes to get above mediocre...

there are all kinds
and it is much easier to fire a teacher who has not taught for more than 3 yrs in a particular district--
much more documentation or much more sever infraction are needed as a person gains experience...

and while TX is a right to fire state--there are some organizations that do have more clout than others--police and firefighters and other state employees have process of arbitration that must be followed and most school districts as well have policies regarding teachers whose performance comes into question...
not "renewing" a contract for a teacher with experience can be challenged and the district can lose--
I know--my district tried to get rid of several teachers who managed to squeak through under some type of performance plan and lived to teach again...

Old 02-05-2010, 09:32 AM

198 posts, read 501,989 times
@triwing...maybe all the education majors you knew boozed it up in college and were lazy...maybe you hung out with lazy folks thats why you were surrounded by not only lazy education majors but lazy folks in other majors..

Old 03-05-2011, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
lol... funny.

For everyone..you remember that old adage "those who can do, can and those cant do, teach" well some folks cant teach either! and if you have been interviewed a hundred times, but never selected or been asked to resign or been terminated by multiple school districts then its probably time to look for another profession my friend.

The best teachers my kids have had are people that had a different job, but then decided to enter teaching later in life, rather than go into teaching directly out of college. They are better with the kids, more patient and more organized. Plus, being older generally means they have kids of their own and aren't in that "MY kids will NEVER..." stage.

I think many people "hide out" in the teaching profession, but they aren't fooling anyone. Favorite teachers are favorites for a reason!
Ironically, the teachers whom I hated in grade school have become my favorites because they demanded the best from me, and it made all difference in the world in graduating from college and forming a career. And it never really mattered to me that they could not find a job in their first choice. For example, I bet my high school piano teacher would have loved to work with the city symphony instead. However, I am grateful, she chose to work with me, a poor Hispanic kid from a family of 9, each day at school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas