U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,327 times

Advertisements

You (and DFW) actually have caught the Ranger's during a challenging season. The Arlington area of DFW has become a mecca of local and tourist attractions since I arrived from Brooklyn, NY back in 1972. The DFW area has grown astronomically and will continue to grow considering the new Dallas Cowboy stadium will be completed in Arlington within a few years. You do know Super Bowel XLV is being hosted in 2011? Dallas remains home to the Dallas Mavericks and Dallas Stars (American Airlines Center). You might have some old reading material on The Rangers as the name Ameriquest Field was dropped and we've returned to an original version of "The Ballpark in Arlington", aka "The Ranger's Ballpark in Arlington". If you're only looking for geographical areas with focus on sports, give your local sports bar a shot. We all wish our local teams were at championship levels but if they all were, I guess it wouldn't be called sports.

I can remember when the Ft. Worth area was the focus of modern art museums. It took time for Dallas to catch on even though you can see Dallas from Ft. Worth and vice versa. Having come from the Big Apple myself, I can't think of many areas of the US that have gone through such a metamorphosis. You do remember the Brooklyn Dodgers playing at Ebbets field, right? The key is; "home is wherever you hang your hat"! Enjoy life!

If you want affordable housing, you found the right city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 08:48 AM

3,035 posts, read 13,019,187 times
I agree with you Ex-NY. The growth in this area is flat out amazing. For the locals that grew up here, they seem to hate the explosive growth, but I guess that is expected as it makes it feel your city is being taken away from you.

For me, I'm a bit more gung ho on the new sports complexes in Arlington than most (But still dissapointed they are not in Dallas). I know that's what they are pushing as the center of their growth, so if they are like other cities here, things will only get better.

People have to remember that nobody expects the entire city of Arlington to be nice in order to want to visit the ballpark, but if you make it nice in the areas around the ballpark, then people will come and spend the day there. Just look at what Disneyland did to the surrounding area in Anahiem, CA. It used to be scary and rundown, but now, it's all nice (for about a mile) in the immediate area....people hang out there during the day, spend money.

The Superbowl bid is good for our region...

Arlington needed something like this...

Old 05-28-2007, 08:57 AM

11,878 posts, read 32,917,927 times
The Rangers perennially suck, but if someone likes baseball Ranger's Ballpark is a nice venue. And, you do get to see Major League baseball with visiting teams as well. The cost of the games are pretty reasonable too. I sit way up in the upper decks and have a good view of the field and it doesn't cost a ton of money. I'm not a huge baseball fan but I love the atmosphere, but not the costly food.

I think the Super Bowl coming to the area will be great for the region and will perhaps spur Arlington to do something in the manner of mass transit.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:46 AM

So I'm new to the American League and the Rangers. Why is it that they suck so bad ? This area has oodles of dough and a strong historic passion for sports, why has not someone stepped up to the plate and gotten the right rooster and managment team in place ? Is it the ownership ? The vision seems to be what's lacking for the Rangers....they are in that 'same ole - same ole' state of mind that breeds consistent failure. The San Diego Padres were like this before the new stadium downtown was built (or being talked about), now they are at least competetive and have since garnished the support they need from the city. I can now see the Padres rising to the top of the tier 2 clubs because of this (still a ways away from becoming the next Yankees/Bosox).

Old 05-28-2007, 12:57 PM

28 posts, read 84,717 times
Try Mansfield

Old 05-28-2007, 03:02 PM

988 posts, read 1,894,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
So I'm new to the American League and the Rangers. Why is it that they suck so bad ? This area has oodles of dough and a strong historic passion for sports, why has not someone stepped up to the plate and gotten the right rooster and managment team in place ? Is it the ownership ? The vision seems to be what's lacking for the Rangers....they are in that 'same ole - same ole' state of mind that breeds consistent failure. The San Diego Padres were like this before the new stadium downtown was built (or being talked about), now they are at least competetive and have since garnished the support they need from the city. I can now see the Padres rising to the top of the tier 2 clubs because of this (still a ways away from becoming the next Yankees/Bosox).
Some local conspiracies from local sports radio and myself:

- its hot as heck in the summer here and no one wants to pitch in that
- Hitter's ballpark(always one of the tops in HRs) so again, no one wants to pitch here. It has been mentioned many times that the office in center field needs to go. Its stops the southerly summer winds we get in Texas. Hicks is well aware of this and has stated there are no plans to change it. They need a roof too to attract pitching. Basically, they need Miller Park or Chase Field, which have retractable windows in the outfield and retractable roofs. Hicks knows this also, but again no plans. Which takes me to the next point
- owner who simply has a ton of other interests now and has gotten cheap with the Rangers. They went from huge payroll and winning to small payroll really quickly. They've gone from put good product on field to draw fans to thinking players will play better with more fans. Yes, Hicks said this.
- PAdres have actually been good at different times. You've actually been to the World Series and have decent to good pitching
- Rangers have a history of bad owners that make only decent hires and seem to believe in the sideshow theory. One superstar will bring in the people like A-Rod and Nolan Ryan.
- Horrible farm system from an upper management standpoint. Develop great young guys and trade them seems to be the Rangers philosophy.

Why falling attendance(it could be better like Houston)
- Bad location. As much as Arlington says its in the middle of the metroplex, its not. The geographic population center is about in Las Colinas right now, meaning most in the metroplex are north and east of Arlington. Plus its not easily accessed by freeway to most and has no public transit.
- Bad product. Fine for a while, but I think fans have finally grown tired of it
- Owner that seems to not care. He's having fun with Liverpool FC(who wouldn't), but I think he's forgotten he owns the Rangers. Compare him to our more annoying owners in town who promote their teams to death.
- Stadium. As nice as it is, it seems they ignored the weather here unlike the other stadiums with similar weather. Not to mention the spectacle of a retractable roof

My solution: Sneak the Marlins into Downtown Dallas while Hicks is in England. They need a new stadium. It could be smaller(35,000) and integrated into the Trinity River Project. It would be nice to see some National League ball and have a team that seems to care. Instant two time World Champions, LOL. Of course the Rangers would never allow this thanks the the crappy MLB market rules where the Rangers would be able to reject the move even if the rest of the owners approved it. It would be a nice kick in the you know what.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:13 PM

The Padres do have consistent pitching and a good owner (Towers) that actually loves baseball and the city of San Diego.

They don't have the budget other teams have, but they do a good job winning with what they have. If they could just learn to beat the Cardinals.

So the problem with the Rangers appears to start which the owner. That's a tough one to change. If the owner is MIA, then the team will be close behind.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:03 AM

27,447 posts, read 44,934,740 times
Hicks is the pits as an owner--and he has no talent for picking talent--the new gm is wet behind the years...they do spent time and money on young players only to sell them away and buy crap instead--
and they have no history to worship at---Nolan Ryan was best claim to fame Rangers have had and they should have made him manager--but they didn't and now he has his own team to play with...

Old 05-29-2007, 09:12 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,236,200 times
The Rangers who? We can't blame just the current owner for the situation the Rangers are in. I can't even begin to think of which owner to go back to for the blame but in the last 30+ years it has been the same ol same ol story for the Rangers: they do great and can lead the division or be in the top till about the All-Star game and then it is a downhill slide from there. The only time in my 40+ years that you saw lots of Rangers support was when Eddie Chiles was the owner and there were bumper stickers EVERYWHERE about him ("I'm Eddie Chiles - and I'm mad" as in mad as hell). He then sold to that group of investors that included w. Oh they did great then, not. I'm sorry but a group of investors are NOT going to have the best interest of the team and it's fans at heart. As for Hicks, he has not been totally bad as a sports team owner. Afterall he does own the Dallas Stars. Not that every move he has made w/ the Stars has been great as he has made some sorry moves there but for some reason as a baseball owner....... not so great. The Rangers need someone like Mark Cuban to come in and buy them.

I agree that the Rangers philosphy for WAAAAY TOO LONG has been about recruiting a great young promising player then trading them for some player that never lives up to anything. Then we watch as the young recruit goes on to set records w/ the team he traded to. When we had Nolan Ryan and Pudge was the best time I remember. We actually had season tickets back then before the Stars came to town. But we bought a mini plan as it is a pain in the rear to get out to Arlington for all the games and that was over 10 years ago and traffic was not near as bad as it is now.

If your really a baseball fan and want to come to the DFW region then you need to check out the minor league teams. They do pretty well every year (playoffs at least) and have developed a huge following. The Frisco RoughRiders are one team that does well and they have a very nice ballpark. The city of Grand Prarie just recently approved getting a minor league franchise at the dismay of the Rangers organization and the city of Arlington. Who wants to go drop over a $100 bucks for a family of 4 to go watch a horrible team play that thinks they deserve millions of dollars a year to play a game they supposedly love. I'd rather spend $50 bucks and go see one of the minor teams and actually see a good game and have an enjoyable time. Early last week they reported that people were already lining up and paying down a deposit for season tickets for the minor league team coming to GP.

As for Arlington, ehh. Not so great. It is not an expensive place to live but it is right in a spot that has more traffic than most areas of the metroplex.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:20 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,917,927 times
Ya, I remember back in '95 when they had Pudge they went to the playoffs only to get sucker punched by the Yankees. I enjoyed reading your conspiracy theory list rantanamo. I've always wondered why the Rangers suck so poorly. Anybody here a Ticket fan (P1)? If you are then you'll know what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or