Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 12:31 AM

41 posts, read 59,652 times

Advertisements

I live in a different state. I love baseball. I want to move to a city with a MLB team. The city has to meet certain criteria. I am considering Arlington,
although I know nothing about it. Is Arlington an expensive part of the
D/FW area? Is Arlington a safe area? It is very important that I have
affordable housing. What other areas might be a good choice besides
Arlington. I am looking for affordable housing (meaning home prices),
and easy access to Texas Ranger games. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 07:50 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,427,587 times
I've only been to Arlington once or twice, and would put it in the category of 'ok'. I'd pick our side of the Metroplex first, then Fort Worth, then Arlington if I had to choose. I believe there are some shady areas aroun those parts, but also some nice/safe burbs as well. Arlington is not expensive and I believe it may be somewhat cheaper than the other 2 parts of the city I mentioned.

Also, are you sure you want to be near the Rangers ? If your moving for a baseball team, I can think of alot more exciting franchises than the Rangers. Seriously. Padres ? Dodgers ? Red Sox ? Yankees ? Unless TX was your original destination anyway, and the Rangers were just icing on the cake.

Note that Arlington won the Super Bowl in 2011, so I expect there will be alot of rebuilding over there, so you may even be able to make some money on a home if you research the area well enough and find a good spot.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:13 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,042 times
The Rangers are horrible. The Astros lead Texas in baseball.

Southern/Southwest Arlington is the best area. Dalworthington Gardens, a city completely surrounded by Arlington, is also a good choice.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:20 AM

thanks I will make a note of the southern/SW Arlington area. Yes Boston, NY,
LA, SD are great cities which also have baseball teams, but I am looking at
cities with baseball that are also relatively inexpensive, particularly in regard to housing. You apparently missed that criteria in my original post.
The field of choices are Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, KC, Milwaukee, St. Louis,
and Tampon Bay.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:30 AM

709 posts, read 3,472,386 times
As someone else mentioned on an earlier post... Dallas-Ft.Worth has many areas that you can select from and still have easy access to Ameriquest. I'm not familiar enough with Arlington personally but would bet that Hurst, Euless, Bedford, Irving, Carrollton, Grapevine might offer you some housing that is affordable. All of the above mentioned suburbs offer all kinds of living accomodations and price ranges and allow for easy enough access to Ameriquest. There are of course many other suburbs these just came to me first. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:36 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,758,591 times
>> Tampa Bay <<

Well come on down! They are practically paying people to come to the Devil Ray games. There's free parking at the games and the concessions have been revamped. Oh, and by the way, the Tampa Bay Devil Ray's venue is not in Tampa Bay, but actually St Petersburgh, FL. House prices are falling, and IF you can get insurance on your house, you might be able to get a decent price, live by the beach and be able to see your baseball games.

Another good thing, baseball wise, is that Yankee spring training is in Tampa and Lakeland, about a 30 min drive east, has yet some more spring training and to the south - the Sarasota area - is where the Red Sox has their spring training. You could be in baseball heaven a month before the season starts :-)

Old 05-27-2007, 10:40 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,455,230 times
Wow, I can't imagine someone moving to Arlington to follow one of the worst teams in baseball.

Arlington is affordable. It's also the largest city in the US without any mass transit, so bring a car.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:17 AM

I'm single, I'm in my forties, I have no reason not to follow my folley. Arlington is just one on my list. Even though the Rangers stink now, they
may be better some day. Plus I get to watch visiting teams. But the
more I hear about Arlington the more I think it's not my type of place.
It doesn't sound like it's much of a baseball town compared to say
the likes of St. Louis, or even Cincinnati, although the latter isn't necessarily
a base ball town. But Cincinnati for example has a lot going on around
it's base ball stadium, and I don't get that same impression of Arlington.
Ok so screw baseball, what about living in DFW just for the sake of living there. How would it score as a place to live on a scale 1-10? I have been reading about DFW and how wooded it is in many sections of town. It seems like it's a desire place to be.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:07 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,427,587 times
You'd be suprised how quick this would become a baseball town once the Rangers start winning conistently.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:53 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
arlington is NOT a baseall town--if you want a baseball town you would have better luck in Austin/Round Rock area where Nolan Ryan owns a minor league team---
Once cowboy stadium gets moved, Tom Hicks better buy a new team or no one will be going to Ranger games---they are just pitiful--it is a lovely park from exterior--interior is pretty good--but team inside fails to measure up...

if you follow the baseball goddess, worshipping at the Ranger Shrine may be considered sacrosanct...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas