U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:07 PM

2,982 posts, read 8,177,749 times

Advertisements

The losers just need to stop their whining and get pro-active. If your neighborhood schools sticks - you CAN get a curriculum or hardship transfer to a higher performing school. This process is different from applying to a magnet school.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:09 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Keep in mind when they do college ratings it include number of trees on campus.

Yes, that was not a joke, but the ratings tend to be.

Real thing it shows is that it is money that matters. The students are funded in the top Dallas ISD schools 3 to 4 times what the bottom end schools are. This is the Big House on the Plantation in action. While the Plantation suckth, the Big House is always nice. If you are in you in it is Golden. If you are in the field hand turf -- well it sucks being you. The vast numbers are not in blessed path, and are totally screwed.
Are you inferring that Woodrow, White and Hillcrest are funded 3-4 times over say, Madison what receives?

Old 05-20-2008, 12:11 PM

669 posts, read 1,406,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
>> It's the affluent kids that take em... you can take a few costing hundreds of $$$<<

Not true. The Rio Grande Valley schools, that ranked #44 & #46
<44 South Texas High School for Health Professions Mercedes Texas 4.551 55.1 54.4
46 Science Academy of South Texas Mercedes Texas 4.543 43 62.7 <

Come from low income and English as a second language, families. There's about 40% of those students qualifing for free lunch.

Also, when my son attended high school in FL, we did not pay for his AP exams or PSAT for his freshman and sophomore year. I did here in Texas, so it must vary state to state.
Cost of exam is $84 and keep in mind that's only for one test. Again, it can be the rich kids taking it there too you know.. and I"m sure they can have it subsidized if need for those who can't afford it either

Old 05-20-2008, 01:25 PM

Here is a way to see how schools did - not the blind show up exam!
So knowing this, would it be fair to say they are the best in the nation?
Passing the TAKS and mean SAT score far better than showing up.

http://www.dmagazine.com/Media/Media...rbschart06.pdf

Old 05-20-2008, 02:02 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
That chart is only for the suburbs. And apparently a lot of them did not even 'show up' for the AP tests or the results might have been different.

What did Woody Allen say about success?

Old 05-20-2008, 02:49 PM

4,304 posts, read 11,124,327 times
It's pretty easy for me to pick the great schools. The higher the per capitia income for a particular district the better education. Those parents from affluent districts will not tolerate medocore schools. Districts with a low per capita income will have schools that don't perform as well because the parents don't value education as much. There are exceptions to the rules but not many. For most lower income people renting a apartment in a good district is the best way for there kids to get a good education.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:54 PM

576 posts, read 1,584,366 times
I don't think this is a good methodology either- this list basically reads like a list of wealthiest districts to poorest districts.

What I would like to see is the correlation between income level and a test metric, maybe a composite of TAKS, AP exams, and SAT score.

Then once you have this formula, you can see what the expected school performance would be given the particular income distribution of the school.

Then, the schools that have the biggest positive difference between their actual value and their expected value would be the "top" schools, and the ones with the lowest difference would be the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post

Old 05-20-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
I don't think this is a good methodology either- this list basically reads like a list of wealthiest districts to poorest districts.

What I would like to see is the correlation between income level and a test metric, maybe a composite of TAKS, AP exams, and SAT score.

Then once you have this formula, you can see what the expected school performance would be given the particular income distribution of the school.

Then, the schools that have the biggest positive difference between their actual value and their expected value would be the "top" schools, and the ones with the lowest difference would be the worst.
I'm sure you can put something like that together. At least these are results. It lists them and their scores. If we plotted it, we can see how well they did. Heck you can see how well they did regardless of area... I'm sure as you can already tell the affluent areas have a higher score.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:51 AM

63 posts, read 184,521 times
I should be proud that many local schools made it in the list. However I agree that this is false information. If you understand statistics, politics, and popularism, you'll know data is flawed. Data is based on AP test takers/graduating students only because it's the only reliable available data out there according to the 'inventor'. One school data does not justify name them top school. Data is valid, but not enough to justify TOP school. Newsweek published this data. Because it's from Newsweek, people tend to immediately agree with stats. "It's from Newsweek, so data is real." type of mentality.

I bet if the author is from an unknown magazine, people won't be talking about this.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:42 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,381,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post

I don't get how D Magazine came up with school related data in relation to suburbs since school district lines are not the same as city lines.

For example, most of Richardson ISD is in the city of Dallas. Some of the city of Richardson attend Plano schools. Some in the city of Garland attend Richardson schools. Some of city of Plano attend Frisco schools. Some of the city of McKinney attend Frisco schools. Some of Little Elm attend Frisco schools. Seagoville is in the Dallas school district. Wilmer and Hutchins are in the Dallas ISD. Flower Mound is in Lewisville ISD. Some of Irving is in Carrollton Farmers Branch ISD, etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or