U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:24 PM

669 posts, read 1,412,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
<<Again, those tests are cheap either! It's the affluent kids that take em... you can take a few costing hundreds of $$$>>

I just read something about the TEA subsidizing the cost of the test so that students who qualify under the free and reduced lunch program pay just $5 per exam.

There is also a program, one of several AP incentive programs funded by the TEA, that gives $100 to schools for every passing score of 3, 4, or 5 that a student receives on an AP exam.
Thanks for the backup... I thought I was onto something! People just think I'm biased bc I live in Socal

Old 05-28-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post

Thank you for the post, finally something that says results about the same overall tests....

Again, this says nothing more than top schools in DFW metro...
no national test except SAT/ACT (just for your info mom of dfw, CA did as a state score higher than TX
Look it up

Old 05-28-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
my ISD HEB pays the fees for students who are economically strapped to pony up for their AP tests--some of the kids don't want to take the test -- they just want to get the higher GPA for getting a mediocre grade vs really learning enough to pass the AP test

and YES--it is much easier for a school with smart students who have migrated there from other districts or gone through more rigorous teaching to maintain/achieve high test scores when faced with poor teaching--as long as the better teaching came first--

it is difficult to pass from half-assed teaching into quality teaching and not feel pain from having to reengage the brain and muscle of building knowledge...
Yes, finally the message is out there. See I'm not a troll, just setting the record straight

Old 05-28-2008, 10:52 PM

2,231 posts, read 5,339,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
Thank you for the post, finally something that says results about the same overall tests....

Again, this says nothing more than top schools in DFW metro...
no national test except SAT/ACT (just for your info mom of dfw, CA did as a state score higher than TX
Look it up
That's meaningless because CA has a different demographic mix than Texas. If there is a difference, it would go away when you adjust for factors unrelated to SAT performance.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
That's meaningless because CA has a different demographic mix than Texas. If there is a difference, it would go away when you adjust for factors unrelated to SAT performance.
yes we do. We have more minorities than whites (look that up too). Look you'll never get a straight answer on SAT score factors, but a higher score is a higher score Personally however I'm not sure if I'd want my kids in CA schools. Too liberal and not strict w/ students. My wife teaching in both states, TX is a far better system for discipline and elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or