U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 10:22 PM

53 posts, read 189,984 times

Advertisements

Howdy, neighbor! Looks like we're in the same boat! I live in La Habra Heights and am getting ready to put my home up for sale. I have just over two acres and a 3000 Sq. Ft. home I need to get rid of. You've got me scared now! I hope we both get to Texas soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 10:48 PM

21 posts, read 45,283 times
sprint rider. i hear ya about being a texan!! if you watch the news at all. i live close to the area where that guy just chopped of his mothers head with a circular saw and than did himself!!! good publicity ya? crap!! sorry everyone!! but this is what i live with!! when i get to texas we all are gonna bbq and share socal stories!! right? for those of you already out there, all i can say is, **** HOWDY!!! once again. how do i ship my dogs?

Old 05-28-2007, 11:50 PM

53 posts, read 189,984 times
OMG! How did I miss THAT one??? Sorry, but I can't help you with the dogs because I'm in the same position. I was planning on making the trip driving with my dog and it's a Greyhound...

Old 05-29-2007, 10:31 AM

1,078 posts, read 3,440,259 times
So, I am not alone?? We just cut our price by $20,000 last week and have only had 2 showings since... when we first put it on market in March we had over 30 showings. It is frustrating as heck!!! Seems most people who are looking do not care about location, but square footage.
They don't mind living in a bad area as long as they can get the big house, so all their relatives can move in...just they way it is.
Looks like my husband will be moving out there w/o us for the time being.

As for the pets, I will be traveling with 2 ducks, 1 dog and two parakeets, and a teenage boy!! All in my car!! PEEE-YEW!!!!!!!!
I was just looking on line and found this place:
Pet Air Welcomes You To Flypets.com

They have very completive rates on shipping pets! I just checked them and am thinking of shipping my ducks.
I hope that helps!
MBG

Old 05-29-2007, 12:45 PM

1,379 posts, read 5,814,986 times
I feel your pain We sold our house in three months although we were in Northern CA in the Sacramento area. I can't tell you what you should do, I just can tell you what we did.

Before we put our house on the market we got it ready - taking all the personal items (photos etc - you aren't selling your house, you are showing what other families will want to turn their home into and if they can't visualize it as their own, then they won't generally buy it). If you collect anything in specific, put it away. I went into this one house here that had so much crap (antiquey signs and cutsey things on the wall) that there was no way I could get beyond it. It was the cookie jar house.

Anyway, we also had it appraised before we put it on the market as my agent recommended. She had a few people that we were really interested right away but they couldn't qualify. We were getting anxious too but an offer came in while we moved my Mom here to Texas. I figured it was me just letting my agent do her thing and not getting in the way of her job.

It wasn't the best offer and we gave in a lot but I am sooooooo happy we accepted the offer. Our neighbor next door put their house on the market after we sold ours at roughly the same price, it was similar but not the same house, and they are still trying to sell it and had to dump it 50K lower than we sold ours five months later.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintRider View Post
OMG! How did I miss THAT one??? Sorry, but I can't help you with the dogs because I'm in the same position. I was planning on making the trip driving with my dog and it's a Greyhound...
You drive them out. We have our Chocolate Labrador still in Sacramento with my grandfather. Unfortunately, from my understanding unless they can sit on your lap or in a small carrier, airlines won't ship big dogs anymore. This is from an attendant with American Airlines. I would verify with the airlines directly, but it looks like we will be making a trip out there.

We have driven from Sacramento to Fort Worth twice already, looks like we will be making a third, to get our dog and my mother-in-law is moving out too.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post

As for the pets, I will be traveling with 2 ducks, 1 dog and two parakeets, and a teenage boy!! All in my car!! PEEE-YEW!!!!!!!!
I was just looking on line and found this place:
Pet Air Welcomes You To Flypets.com

They have very completive rates on shipping pets! I just checked them and am thinking of shipping my ducks.
I hope that helps!
MBG
Ohhhh...very cool MBG!! I will still probably have to make the drive back with Mom though

Old 05-29-2007, 04:49 PM

109 posts, read 553,561 times
Default Shipping of Dogs

You say you don't want to fly them, but I've heard good things about Continental Airlines. Pressurized & climate controlled cargo hold. I have a few breeder friends & that's the airline they use to ship their dogs. Personally, I've never heard of a cross country driver for the dogs. I've lived overseas (hubby's a Foreign Service Officer) and know lots of folks who ship their pets. All the time. BUT you are getting into the no-shipping-season, commonly known as summer. Suggest call Continental & asking. Or do a search on the internet for Pet Transport across country - that should get you some good answers. If it was me, and I was that concerned, I would drive myself & my pets.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:07 PM

1,560 posts, read 6,459,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy1960 View Post
You say you don't want to fly them, but I've heard good things about Continental Airlines. Pressurized & climate controlled cargo hold. I have a few breeder friends & that's the airline they use to ship their dogs. Personally, I've never heard of a cross country driver for the dogs. I've lived overseas (hubby's a Foreign Service Officer) and know lots of folks who ship their pets. All the time. BUT you are getting into the no-shipping-season, commonly known as summer. Suggest call Continental & asking. Or do a search on the internet for Pet Transport across country - that should get you some good answers. If it was me, and I was that concerned, I would drive myself & my pets.
We drove our two cats from SC to Dallas. It was late August and they had to ride in the minivan with the windows down. (It was being towed.) They survived just fine, and only left a few presents in my shoes when we finally arrived.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:30 AM

2,259 posts, read 8,635,649 times
Driving from FL to Dallas w/a small dog and a cat - the cat will be thrilled, I'm sure. If you go to petswelcome dot com, you can get a listing of hotels in which pets are welcome.

We did send a chihuahua puppy to my mom and used Continental Airlines. Puppy arrived safely. Continental has a separate boarding process for pets and they are kept in air conditioned areas between flights. You must get a health certificate from the vet for the pet right before their flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas