U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:26 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,248,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintea View Post
We moved here from NY. I think we spend more on food and fresh fruits and vegetables are hard to come by. I miss the fresh fruit stands in NY.
Go the the Farmers Market in Dallas. Also one of the latest issues of DMagazine had a list of places out and around Dallas to go pick or buy fresh fruit.

Last week I was giving away home grown tomatoes like no one else.......... it was a bumper crop. I also heard the peaches are great this year. I've go to go get some fresh Texas peaches - they did not have any at SuperTarget yesterday so I guess off to the Farmers Market. Or better yet..... we can just make a trip to Fredricksberg for the weekend

Last edited by momof2dfw; 07-10-2007 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 09:37 AM

1,005 posts, read 3,307,674 times
If you have a backyard, you can always plant veggies, given the warm climate in Dallas.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:39 AM

294 posts, read 873,580 times
momof2dfw, where were you when I was looking for fresh tomatoes? We live in Plano, we sometimes go to the Farmers Market there. It's fine, but in NY they have better markets. Surprising, no?
I bought fresh peaches at Wal-Mart, but that was last week. Good price too!

Old 07-10-2007, 04:35 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,033,196 times
Omg this was just the conversation today over at a friends house today about produce. I talked to a lady who moved here from Nevada about a year ago and she told me she can't find enough fresh veggies or any good tomatoes. I too have noticed today at the store how it was looking pretty sparenly lately when in the past it has been very abundant. It could be the rain?? The Farmers Market downtown, I have not been to in ages but was told today that they aren't really showcasing vegetables from growers here and most of it is coming from Mexico. Usually the produce is really good and I use to find vegetable and fruit stands around. Haven't since I moved back.

I always loved going to Cox's Farm on main in Duncanville, I though have not been there since I moved back. They have a great variety of fresh produce that is grown locally. On my side of town, Mckinney, Market Street has the best variety.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:45 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,784,302 times
Try Dallas Farmers Market

Old 07-10-2007, 08:58 PM

258 posts, read 1,023,169 times
Thanks Lakewooder, I haven't seen that site before Much appreciated!

Mapquest tells me it's 14 miles from my new apartment. Is it worth the drive?

Thanks.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:00 PM

70 posts, read 274,187 times
the one thing that irks me about dallas is that they dont have HEB's. sure there are central markets/whole foods but outside of those organic/healthy grocery stores, there really isnt a 'go to' supermarket. tom thumb is horribly overpriced, i see a krogers or albertsons once in a blue moon. i guess superwalmarts/targets will do...

Old 07-11-2007, 09:31 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,033,196 times
I just called Cox's Farm on main in Duncanville( they don't have a web site) and I was told they have an abundance of vegetables and fruits that are from around Texas. They said their vine rippen and green ( for fried green tomatos) are from East Texas and their peaches are from Parker County. I was told too they have a good onion selection with vidella onions as well as red and white.
It is set up like at food market and has a variety of packaged whole foods as well as vitamins & bulk pasta.

I wish I could find something like that this way and probablly will go visit them this weekend when I go that way.
I do know many from Dallas do go that way over there.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:34 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,248,249 times
There USED to be a GREAT fresh vegetable and fruit stand of home grown stuff on the corner of 121 and Preston WAY BACK WHEN! Thanks to growth it is gone.

There are a few in Garland one is Cotton's on Broadway (aka Belt Line) between Centerville and Oates. There is another place on Centerville just north of Northwest Hwy around the Duck Creek intersection.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:25 PM

100 posts, read 414,302 times
Dallas needs to get Wegmans Food Market. I shopped at one in Fairfax, Virgina area. I just loved that store. We need them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or