Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2007, 06:16 PM

23 posts, read 166,938 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking on this forum for quite some time and now that I've made a decision to relocate from the Northern California area to Plano, I have some specific questions. Everyone on the forum is great and hope you can help me.

1) My work will be in the Plano/Legacy center, so I was thinking about purchasing a home in the Frisco area. However, I'd like a larger yard and less of a suburb feel. Are there any areas in Frisco that fit that criteria?
Also, how far (how bad) of a commute would it be from Little Elm?
Any other areas close to Plano that have more open space? Looking for a mix of singles and couples?
My price range is about 300K - 330K. Since I am single, a smaller home is what I'm looking for.

2) On my last trip out to Plano, I noticed that most (if not all) restaurants are chains. Are there any good non-chain places that you would recommend? I like any type of cuisine.

3) I did some searches on Google and could not find a good personal trainer. Can anyone recommend one or where could I look to find one?

4) For any that have moved to the Plano/Frisco area lately and are single, how do you like it and do you think you fit in?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 06:24 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,427,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfwoof View Post
I've been lurking on this forum for quite some time and now that I've made a decision to relocate from the Northern California area to Plano, I have some specific questions. Everyone on the forum is great and hope you can help me.

1) My work will be in the Plano/Legacy center, so I was thinking about purchasing a home in the Frisco area. However, I'd like a larger yard and less of a suburb feel. Are there any areas in Frisco that fit that criteria?
Also, how far (how bad) of a commute would it be from Little Elm?
Any other areas close to Plano that have more open space? Looking for a mix of singles and couples?
My price range is about 300K - 330K. Since I am single, a smaller home is what I'm looking for.

2) On my last trip out to Plano, I noticed that most (if not all) restaurants are chains. Are there any good non-chain places that you would recommend? I like any type of cuisine.

3) I did some searches on Google and could not find a good personal trainer. Can anyone recommend one or where could I look to find one?

4) For any that have moved to the Plano/Frisco area lately and are single, how do you like it and do you think you fit in?

Thanks in advance.
Less burb does not equal Frisco. Frisco/Mckinney are burb havens, but most like that. West Plano feels more urban than Frisco, but Frisco is evolving to be more like West Plano - just not there today. Frisco also has some small yards. You may want to go south of Plano into either Richardson (Canyon Creek/Praire Creek) or even more south into Dallas proper.

Also, the chains in Plano are mostly local chains like Blue Goose, Red Hot and Blue, etc. There is also alot of independent places as well. Plano is an eating mecca.

Lakewooder is a good source for Dallas Real Estate.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:34 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,306 times
Most of Plano/Frisco is the definition of suburbia, almost to a cliche. Despite popular belief there are parts that are not overdeveloped. Downtown Plano has a mix of new urbanism, and some traditional homes, it doesnt scream cookie cutter quite so much. McKinney is another nice area near Plano and Frisco, it isn't as built out, and there is more space.

Being that it is very much a suburban area there aren't a whole lot of non-chains in the Plano area. Dallas proper has a lot of those funky places. Over by the Central Market in Plano there is Cafe Brazil that opened a few months ago. It's a small local chain, they have a pretty eclectic menu, pretty laid back place. The non chain places are harder to find because they usually are not on the highway. There are lots of non-cahins that specialize in Ethnic food, any kind you could imagine. Kostas a pretty good greek restaurant a few blocks from Collin Creek. There are Vietnamese noodle houses in the Garland Richardson area.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:41 PM

Cafe Brazil comes highly recommended. There is also one of those in Richardson and Mckinney as well. They even have Wireless at the one in Plano and I believe Mckinney.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:46 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,455,230 times
Frisco is mostly families with kids, chain restaurants and big box shopping options. You might want to come in towards town a bit. Dallas Morning News did this article on Sunday about zip codes and one of the categories was educated well off single people. They are in zip codes 75248 and 75287 in Far North Dallas and 75001 in Addison among others. If you don't want to come in towards town, I would just stick with Plano somewhere. I wouldn't put Frisco and Plano in the same category. Plano is older, bigger, more diverse and more established. You will find the good non-chain restaurants eventually. They are here, just not obvious.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
You will find the good non-chain restaurants eventually. They are here, just not obvious.
Good point. It took me a while to find some of them as well.

However, if you look out 5 years, I truly believe Frisco and Mckinney both will offer many, many more options in this area as well. But yes, at this point in time, Plano has more eats. Frisco does also have some sports venues, which are nice (went to my first Rough Riders game the other day). Mckinney then has the historic downtown section which is rebuilding nicely and should develop into a desirable area. It also has a European Village that's being built and a new upscale outdoor shopping area that will rival Stonebriar.

But again, this will all take a few years to mature. Plano is there today. Well somewhat. I think Frisco and Mckinney will eclipse Plano one day, but that's an opinion I guess.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:02 PM

"Also, how far (how bad) of a commute would it be from Little Elm?"

Little Elm to Plano would not be a bad commute at all. If your thinking of Little Elm, you may also want to consider Paloma Creek that's there along the 380. Nice little area and very affordable. Tell your Realtor you want to check it out.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:15 PM

23 posts, read 166,938 times
Thank you all for the replies. This is of great help.
This board is awesome and I always find interesting and useful information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas