U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-05-2007, 01:52 AM
 
Location: Lake Highlands (Dallas)
2,395 posts, read 7,621,792 times
Reputation: 1033

Advertisements

I realize it isn't SoCal, but Silicon Valley has an amazing pool of talent. I am always amazed at the high concentration of quality IT talent when I fly out there.

There's no doubt Califorina has many desirable places to live. The Bay area really is a cool place.

 
Old 06-05-2007, 07:49 AM
 
3,035 posts, read 13,043,459 times
Reputation: 895
Silicon Valley is a great place to go when your young and just getting into technology, spend 5-7 years there, then move to just about any other market and become the big fish in a small pond.
 
Old 06-05-2007, 12:32 PM
 
14 posts, read 49,194 times
Reputation: 19
My husband and I are in our mid-20's and are currently renting an apartment in one of California's most desirable areas-Laguna Beach. We are planning on moving to Dallas next year. The only people in Cali who seem to completely understand why we would move are people in our same situation. Our parents bought their houses here 25 years ago when they were $150,000. Our younger friends live in a dream world where they think they can afford a $600,000 house on a $15 an hour wage. California is beautiful, great weather, lots to do. But, I never notice it because I work 6-7 days a week just to pay the bills and try to save for a house. My husband and I make over $100,000 a year combined and know we still can't afford to live comfortably here. I have friends who have their retired parents going back to work to help their kids pay for their houses. I know Dallas doesn't have the scenery, or the weather, but I would rather provide my children with good schools, safe neighborhoods, a nice house, and parents that are actually around! By moving to Dallas, my husband can open his own business, we will buy our dream house, and I will be able to stay home with my kids. Basically, it's all about priorities, and my family is my #1! I'm not trying to bag on California, but it's just not worth it here!
 
Old 06-05-2007, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Lake Highlands (Dallas)
2,395 posts, read 7,621,792 times
Reputation: 1033
Thanks for your point of view, Star.

I think you hit on something there - if you can get a house from a parent, then that's certainly a way to set down roots in CA. The cost of admission for a house is prohibitive.

Saving for retirement is my #1 goal - and I don't think we'd be able to do that in CA (or atleast to the extreme we do in TX). I definitely enjoy myself when I'm out there for work though! We're planning a trip to Napa Valley, also. Can't wait for that!
 
Old 06-05-2007, 01:59 PM
 
2,231 posts, read 5,329,885 times
Reputation: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
I've spent the last 3 days here playing with my kids outside....even got a little sunburn. And guess what, this is normal, pretty much 365 days a year. Life is just different here. Simple things are very enjoyable because you never even need to think about weather. For 15 years, I haven't even worn a sweater or owned a set of all season tires.

It creates a sense of optimism that is unmatched anywhere in the world.

Went to hop on a plane to fly home to TX, and the flight was cancelled. More tornado warnings. What are we now going into out third straight month of spring storms ? I grow tired of Spring storms, that will be followed by oppressive summer heat....but October-Nov will be here soon, guess I'll just live for those 2 months.

Yes, you can discount weather and access to the pacific rim all you'd like, but CA is 13% of the US GDP and growing. Sorry, college kids and hippies aren't pulling that load. There is a tremendous amount of wealth/intellect in the state, even more opportunity for new wealth.

Again, I'm really wasting my time trying to explain this - I think people either possess the ability to think Californian, or they do not - it's a state of mind.

So I will stop now and let you guys hold the victory torch. Why, because I could care less what you think and I know 'winning' seems to mean alot to many here on the TX boards, so you can win.

I've lived/live in both places and am extremely bullish on the future of CA. This net migration argument is a dead horse that has been beaten over and over for at least the 15 years I lived in Socal.

I actually pray for the day that everyone thinks like you two.....maybe then I'll move back and buy a gas station on the 101 and spend my silver years surfing.

Again, you're entitled to your opinion.
The weather sure was a factor in my part of California... either freeze your tail off in a Bay Area summer, or heatstroke yourself to death in the Sacramento valley. California weather is not ideal, by any means.

No, it's not about anybody winning an argument... it's about exposing California's flaws after a century of listening to its bombastic claims.

The net migration phenomenon is not a horse, dead or alive... it is a demographic shift that portends ill for California's future... in the same way that the inmigration TO California in the early and mid 20th century promised Cali a bright future.

If you have a love for your native land and confidence in its future, that is a good thing, I suppose. I can't fault you for your feelings.

Today in Dallas is warn, trending toward hot. It is dry and sunny. After an unusually rainy spring, I love the change. Personally, I have no problems with Dallas weather.
 
Old 06-05-2007, 02:01 PM
 
16,092 posts, read 35,855,767 times
Reputation: 6264
Laguna is certainly a beautiful place. I visit it almost on every trip to CA. Midnightbirdgirl is right about the traffic, though.

My sister lives just north of Temecula at Canyon Lake - I call her to pick me up when I am seated on the plane here because it almost takes that long. I choose the SoCal airport closest to what we want to do...so I can almost get there by plane from Dallas faster than my sister can from SoCal.
 
Old 06-05-2007, 05:20 PM
 
1,868 posts, read 5,146,896 times
Reputation: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
The net migration phenomenon is not a horse, dead or alive... it is a demographic shift that portends ill for California's future... in the same way that the inmigration TO California in the early and mid 20th century promised Cali a bright future.





Exactly!! I mean how much data does one need to see.......??? I love California....but what this amounts too is the biggest "pump and dump" scheme in history!!!

Last edited by GoPadge; 06-06-2007 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: fixed quote.
 
Old 06-05-2007, 05:23 PM
 
1,868 posts, read 5,146,896 times
Reputation: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Laguna is certainly a beautiful place. I visit it almost on every trip to CA. Midnightbirdgirl is right about the traffic, though.

My sister lives just north of Temecula at Canyon Lake - I call her to pick me up when I am seated on the plane here because it almost takes that long. I choose the SoCal airport closest to what we want to do...so I can almost get there by plane from Dallas faster than my sister can from SoCal.
What aiport are you talking about? San Diego???
 
Old 06-05-2007, 09:34 PM
 
3,035 posts, read 13,043,459 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
What aiport are you talking about? San Diego???
I think he's talking about that small one up there above Chino. Name escapes me (San Bernadino county).

I pray CA is a pump and dump scheme...seriously. What would be nice is if the prices could get set back to the mid-90s.

I'd own my little gas station, a surf board and a beach cottage off the 101/PCH.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will happen.

Another 15-20% drop maybe, but the employment there is as strong or stronger than it has ever been. There is also alot of new salary pressure as employers are finding it harder to attract people from outside of the state because of the housing crisis (nobody wants to pay 700k for something that will be worth 640k a year later).

BUT....I will say that if I was in my 20s or early 30s, I would definitely agree that the cost of entry is prohibitive and would make everyday life almost impossible; at this point, I can 100% agree that Dallas offers alot more.
 
Old 06-05-2007, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Lake Highlands (Dallas)
2,395 posts, read 7,621,792 times
Reputation: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
BUT....I will say that if I was in my 20s or early 30s, I would definitely agree that the cost of entry is prohibitive and would make everyday life almost impossible; at this point, I can 100% agree that Dallas offers alot more.
One could argue that with rent control + not worrying about savings/retirement like most 20-somethings, moving to San Diego would be easier at that point in your life. The price of admission of BUYING a home is what keeps me away from there because I worry about cost of living/retirement/savings - if it weren't for those things, I'd probably give CA a shot! If I didn't worry about home ownership or savings, my view would be 100% different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top