Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 04:49 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashina View Post
I posted the other day on this thread that California rentals were going up - looks like I was wrong in regards to San Diego at least. Just didn't want to leave wrong info out there:

SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Business -- More apartments available for less
Interesting. I know 6 months ago we saw 15% in my area and homes were rented out in a week once advertised. This appears to have changed due to all the apartment conversions that are not selling and converting back to rentals.

I think this also has alot to do with the increase in vacancies:

"Researchers raised the possibility that some renters are moving out of the county to less pricey markets. The U.S. Census Bureau has reported that between July 2005 and July 2006, about 42,000 more people left the county than came here, according to population estimates. "

My wife was telling me that when she gave my daughter's school notice that we were leaving, she said that they told her lots of people were moving away, so much so that they had to change some of their expansion plans for next year because they were worried they'd be unable to fill the existing classrooms.

I'll check back in a few years. I can't imagine this will be a persistent cycle.

From the other thread, more "anti-CA is over-rated" material:
Kings Canyon National Park pictures - US National Parks stock photos, fine art prints by QTL

Old 06-08-2007, 09:00 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
From the other thread, more "anti-CA is over-rated" material:
Kings Canyon National Park pictures - US National Parks stock photos, fine art prints by QTL
I saw those gorgeous photos on the other thread and was in 7th Heaven. Now that is true beauty to behold. I wish I could look at a view like that each and every day for the remaining years of my life.

Who was it that said CA was flat desert? True, it is in some parts just like most of the southwest states are.

I'm traveling through NC, TN, and VA next week from GA (am flying to GA from DFW). I know I will find beauty there too, just a different kind perhaps.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:28 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,358 times
Quote:
Researchers raised the possibility that some renters are moving out of the county to less pricey markets. The U.S. Census Bureau has reported that between July 2005 and July 2006, about 42,000 more people left the county than came here, according to population estimates. "
That sounds pretty extreme, socketz. Could you give me a link to the Census Bureau page that posted that?

Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
Socketz, it is not about winning...it is about being realistic. For us, the crime, the traffic, the poor schools, the politics, and the excessive cost of living here in Cali make it something that it once was not. I remember some years ago, living in the IE and it taking only about 2 hours to get to Newport Beach. As it stands I would not ever want to live in the IE again, YUCK!! And the commute to the beach is much longer now.
I don't have the mind set to live in Cali the way it is now, you are right. To me, weather is not everything. Quality of life for my family is much more than the weather.
For your family it seems that sunshine 365 is paramount, that is fine, for us it just isn't.
We all have to find that place that is home, and what the means to each of us is very different. No place is going to be perfect.
I glad you have found yours.
Now let us find ours. And accept that what I, or anyone else needs to find home may be very different than what you need as home, and that is quite alright...this is not a contest, it is our hope to find home, just as you have.

MBG

I agree with you that CA isn't the way it used to be which is a shame. There are way too many people who have lessened the quality of life just like many other areas in the country that have had the same problems. About crime...........

Check out the link below and one can see that the whole country is full of crime. Comparing Dallas to Southern California (specifically L.A.), one will see that the population versus crime is quite comparable. I'm pleased to see that the city where I was raised, Burbank, is not too bad in that aspect. The chart only lists cities with a population of 100,000 or higher.

http://abcnews.go.com/images/WN/FBIC...reliminary.pdf

Old 06-08-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
That sounds pretty extreme, socketz. Could you give me a link to the Census Bureau page that posted that?
It was text from the article; I'm trusting SDUT didn't pull these out of the air:

SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Business -- More apartments available for less

What's funny are the reader comments at the bottom of this article - read what they say ;-)

Old 06-08-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

I agree with you that CA isn't the way it used to be which is a shame. There are way too many people who have lessened the quality of life just like many other areas in the country that have had the same problems. About crime...........

Check out the link below and one can see that the whole country is full of crime. Comparing Dallas to Southern California (specifically L.A.), one will see that the population versus crime is quite comparable. I'm pleased to see that the city where I was raised, Burbank, is not too bad in that aspect. The chart only lists cities with a population of 100,000 or higher.

http://abcnews.go.com/images/WN/FBIC...reliminary.pdf
Wow. I had no idea Phoenix had so much violent crime. A city that's comparable in size to San Diego has close to 2x the violent crime. Looks like Dallas is hanging with LA.

Also, why is Mckinney missing ? I think Mckinney is well over 115k now. Frisco was around 90k in 06, so I'm guessing they are close to 100k now as well.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:33 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,144,713 times
Quote:
Wow. I had no idea Phoenix had so much violent crime. A city that's comparable in size to San Diego has close to 2x the violent crime. Looks like Dallas is hanging with LA.

Also, why is Mckinney missing ? I think Mckinney is well over 115k now. Frisco was around 90k in 06, so I'm guessing they are close to 100k now as well.
I'm glad you asked that socketz. I haven't been able to make a chart in at least a week.

...............Estimated...Growth
..............Population...Rate
..................1/1/07...2006-2007
Collin County....724,900...4.62%
Allen.............76,600...7.89%
Frisco............92,100...8.80%
McKinney.........112,000...7.54%
Murphy............12,450..10.18%
Plano............255,700...1.23%
Prosper............6,050..15.24%
Wylie.............35,400...7.27%

from http://www.nctcog.org/ris/demographi...pestimates.pdf

Old 06-08-2007, 04:15 PM

I knew your were out there somewhere.

Prosper is interesting....6k.....so about 100k to go. I wonder when we will see it double. Also, is Allen projected to exceed 100k ? It looks pretty built out to me.

I continue to be amazed at just how many people live here....

Old 06-08-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:

Sperling's Best Places states McKinney has 89,200 people and Frisco at 64,450. Hmmm! I'm sure those stats are accurate.

Truly, I'm not surprised that Dallas ranks with Los Angeles. California ranks # 10 in the union for crime and Texas # 11.

Considering the difference in population, that really doesn't look good for us in Texas. CA has 36 1/2 million people and Texas has 23 1/2 million. People per square mile in CA ~ 217.1 and in Texas ~ 79.6.

Let's face it; it's terrible all over except those really cold states that have such little crime.

Actually, it is kind of interesting to see about crime rates, but mostly, it's quite sad to see such awful stats.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

Sperling's Best Places states McKinney has 89,200 people and Frisco at 64,450. Hmmm! I'm sure those stats are accurate.

Truly, I'm not surprised that Dallas ranks with Los Angeles. California ranks # 10 in the union for crime and Texas # 11.

Considering the difference in population, that really doesn't look good for us in Texas. CA has 36 1/2 million people and Texas has 23 1/2 million. People per square mile in CA ~ 217.1 and in Texas ~ 79.6.

Let's face it; it's terrible all over except those really cold states that have such little crime.

Actually, it is kind of interesting to see about crime rates, but mostly, it's quite sad to see such awful stats.
Cut LA out of CA and let it sink into the ocean...who knows...

Last edited by socketz; 06-08-2007 at 07:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas