U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 05:06 PM

670 posts, read 2,680,370 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Huntington Beach and went probably 3-4 times a week during the summer at least. I *do* miss that. I also miss Disney, but Six Flags works for me (roller coaster lover here).

Other than that there is not much I miss. I do NOT like tornado watches at all, but compared to earthquakes meh....it's okay. Currently we live in Columbus, Georgia (job) but are coming back to Dallas as quickly as possible. I thought there were lots of conservative people in Dallas before I moved there, but rarely encountered that at all..here OMG it's a lifestyle. I can't wait to get home.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:41 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,049,159 times
Toranadoes here are many, many, many times more frequent that the slight aftershocks you 'may' feel in CA. I lived there almost 2 decades and felt the earth move 2x. Most of the activity you see on the news is out in the Desert beyond Coachella where the San Andreas fault bends and heads southeast into Mexico. Nobody really lives out there.

I enjoy it here and can appreciate why people want to move here and raise a family, but I'm not sure I'm done with CA forever.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:43 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,878,113 times
I've lived in Texas all my life and never have even seen a tornado. Dallas has had only one tornado of any consequence in recorded history - 1957.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:49 PM

I've met several here like you Lakewooder that say the same thing....but over this past spring,there were tornadoes in the surrounding areas right ? So you've been fortunate, but I wouldn't say there are none here. If there is one in say Wylie, GP or Fort Worth, that's still a bit close for comfort.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:37 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,180,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
I have lived most of my adult life in Southern California and I plan to move to Dallas for a while.

I was wondering what your thoughts are on the pros and cons of living in Dallas versus Southern California.

your opinion is appreciated!
Stay in So cal, your weather is the best in the country. Houses are cheap in dallas, but you will miss the mountain, the dry climate, the beaches. Only go if its about buying a cheap house. Dallas has a lot of cheap houses. You pay out the nose with property tax, but dallas does not have income tax. If you make about 70,000 a year, you come out about even. Then the house prices in Dallas are better. Im not the favorite person on these Dallas threads, but I just tell it as I see it. I don't live in California anymore, but I used to and If I had a house, I would NEVER LEAVE. I used to live in San Diego. Remember, once you leave, you wont be able to come back and afford a house in So Cal again. Your equity only works when you move out of cali. The equity you could build up in Dallas could never get you back to California.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastDallasNative View Post
The Californians who move here prefer California over Texas once they come out here and realize that they are Californians and that North Texas is not California.

There is an ocean in Texas, but it is quite a drive. There are some Texans, but lots and lots and lots of transplants.

Saving money is not everything.
Budy you nailed it!

Old 05-29-2007, 08:42 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,878,113 times
How does one view the California mountains through the smog?

Old 05-29-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
How does one view the California mountains through the smog?
I always saw them clear as a bell....not everthing in cali is down town LA

Old 05-29-2007, 08:57 PM

87 posts, read 348,748 times
I think there is a lot more than living in Dallas than just cheap housing. In fact I think some of the most gorgeous homes can be found in Dallas (preston hollow, highland park, university park, swiss ave, and many more).
Dallas is a major financial hub with numerous fortune 500 compainies, with six million plus living in the metroplex, so I think Dallas is much more than just cheap housing.

Although Dallas does not have mountains, Austin and the hill country are a short drive away from Dallas.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txstar View Post
I think there is a lot more than living in Dallas than just cheap housing. In fact I think some of the most gorgeous homes can be found in Dallas (preston hollow, highland park, university park, swiss ave, and many more).
Dallas is a major financial hub with numerous fortune 500 compainies, with six million plus living in the metroplex, so I think Dallas is much more than just cheap housing.

Although Dallas does not have mountains, Austin and the hill country are a short drive away from Dallas.

As there is more to CA than living by the beach. I think vast assumptions are being made about the quality of life in both areas. Trade-offs, nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or