U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 09:02 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,045,799 times

Advertisements

Kenny Chesney, Mel Gibson (before he made stupid racist comments while drunk), Russel Crow, Colin Ferrel....those are mens men.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
You do know that just by sitting you can work on your abs? Hold them in tight for 10 seconds at a time, relax for 10sec then tighten again for about 30 minutes a day and you will notice a difference.
If I do that, it makes me want to grab a magazine and sit on the can for 20 mins :-)

Ok, ok, too much detail !!!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:07 PM

1,078 posts, read 3,444,665 times
Oh.... Those manly men...

Most men will make stupid comments when drunk...
Actually now that I think about it, they don't have to be drunk to make stupid comments.

MBG

Old 06-12-2007, 11:22 PM

I just thought Mel had a little more class than that....we all think stupid and contrived things from time to time, but once it comes out of your mouth, there is no turning back. Kenny Chesney just has it all rolled up in a package...I used to think Tim McGraw was there, but he just became a little too Hollywood for me. Kenny will over time as well. I'm still amazed that I found a Texan that admits he/she listens to country. I also follow Miranda Lambert (Lindale) and Carrie Underwood (Fort Worth) because they're locals as well. Folks out here get into things like College Baseball (yawn), so I thought singers woud be icons.....doesn't seem to be the case thus far.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:31 AM

988 posts, read 1,900,890 times
you mean those are guys made to look like mens men on film.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,322 times
Thumbs up This Nails It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starofsky View Post
My husband and I are in our mid-20's and are currently renting an apartment in one of California's most desirable areas-Laguna Beach. We are planning on moving to Dallas next year. The only people in Cali who seem to completely understand why we would move are people in our same situation. Our parents bought their houses here 25 years ago when they were $150,000. Our younger friends live in a dream world where they think they can afford a $600,000 house on a $15 an hour wage. California is beautiful, great weather, lots to do. But, I never notice it because I work 6-7 days a week just to pay the bills and try to save for a house. My husband and I make over $100,000 a year combined and know we still can't afford to live comfortably here. I have friends who have their retired parents going back to work to help their kids pay for their houses. I know Dallas doesn't have the scenery, or the weather, but I would rather provide my children with good schools, safe neighborhoods, a nice house, and parents that are actually around! By moving to Dallas, my husband can open his own business, we will buy our dream house, and I will be able to stay home with my kids. Basically, it's all about priorities, and my family is my #1! I'm not trying to bag on California, but it's just not worth it here!
The above is so well composed. I am in the same boat. I have lived in California since 1973 (when I was 7). Split time between SF and LA. I never thought I could leave. I have been married to a wonderful woman from Arkansas for 8 years. She has been telling me this whole time that while Cali has great attributes, the cost of living makes it not worth it. It's taken 8 years, but I finally get it. After studying the real estate websites ad naseum and seeing what kind of house you can get for $250K, reading school and crime reports and seeing that gasoline costs $0.75 less per gallon, I am sold. It's not just about an affordable house - it's about an affordable lifestyle. It's about having something to show for working hard and earning good pay. Early (or even on-time) retirement? Bring it. Paid off house in 10 years? OK. Expendable income? I don't think I even remember what that means anymore, but it would be great learn about it again. My children come first. California is no longer family friendly. I am old fashioned. I believe neighborhoods should be affordable, safe and have churches and schools nearby. The entry home price for that now is $750K and up.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:36 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,147,787 times
[quote=socketz;875698]But I'm not fat either :-)
I told you already, I'm an anomoly wrapped in an Oxymoron. Just today I was listening (iPOD) to some Kenny Chesney while reading the Wall Street journal in the airport...people got confused. So I switched to some Disturbed to confuse them more, then cracked open my new issue of Maxim.

How could they hear your ipod??? lol

Old 06-13-2007, 06:38 PM

1,078 posts, read 3,444,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
you mean those are guys made to look like mens men on film.
Ain't that the truth. Most of them are 4 ft tall
MBG

Old 06-13-2007, 06:53 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,178,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvacuatingCalifornia View Post
The above is so well composed. I am in the same boat. I have lived in California since 1973 (when I was 7). Split time between SF and LA. I never thought I could leave. I have been married to a wonderful woman from Arkansas for 8 years. She has been telling me this whole time that while Cali has great attributes, the cost of living makes it not worth it. It's taken 8 years, but I finally get it. After studying the real estate websites ad naseum and seeing what kind of house you can get for $250K, reading school and crime reports and seeing that gasoline costs $0.75 less per gallon, I am sold. It's not just about an affordable house - it's about an affordable lifestyle. It's about having something to show for working hard and earning good pay. Early (or even on-time) retirement? Bring it. Paid off house in 10 years? OK. Expendable income? I don't think I even remember what that means anymore, but it would be great learn about it again. My children come first. California is no longer family friendly. I am old fashioned. I believe neighborhoods should be affordable, safe and have churches and schools nearby. The entry home price for that now is $750K and up.
I usually am anti Texas, but I think you might find it great. My sister is moving to Texas City, Texas, and buying a house for 104,000 dollars. That was like 1983 in california. She is moving from Huntington Beach California. She bought Her Condo for 380,000 and 5 years ago, and sold it for 800,000. Texas has alot of churches, especially southern Baptist. Your already used to heat, so that wont be too bad. You need to get used to terrible humidity. Those from the east and other Southern states will say its not that bad, but you Will find it BAD. I could not adjust, so I moved. In Texas, its very much about the neighborhoods out in front, not so much in the back yard. Kids all play while the adults visit in the evening. People are very nice. They drive IMO like californians, maybe because alot are actually from california. The accent is addictive. You will say Y'all before you know it. That darn flag with the star on it is just every where. They are very proud of that star. You will see it on doors, walls, flags, in your sleep, and on your childrens forheads when they are born in Texas. Resteraunts KNOW how to BBQ here. Most of texas is Republican. I guess Dallas is Democrate, even if statistics say its not. Austin is the most liberal. If you can take the heat and flatness. You will love Dallas. If you buy a house, your going to find that the taxes are high, but you would probably pay the same taxes in california. 200,000 House is anywhere from 4200-6400 dollars per year in property tax. On the other side of the coin, 600,000 house, which is the same house in cali (maybe) is going to run you 6000 per year at 1percent for prop tax. Cali has 8 plus percent income tax, Texas has no income tax as of this post. Milk cost more in texas, but gas is around 30-60 cents less per gallon. Auto Insurance is cheaper here by far. Min wage, although soon to change is 5.15 per hour, vs 8.50 (I think) in california. Sports are very important to Texas, its seems no one really cares that much in Cali, unless your a USC fan, which by the way got beaten by texas for National title 2 years ago (I hated that, Im a big USC FAN). Everything seems better. Everyone told me over and over again that I would hate it in Texas. I arrived here 2 months ago (from Washinton) and loved it. Then I started to notice the flatness, which I thought would be OK, but at this point I cant stand. Ill put up with it for the money savings. The the heat, which is supposed to be better than usual, got hotter and hotter and hotter. If this is a good year, wow. I couldnt go outside ever. From Washington, Im used to cooler weather, so you might love it. Get a great aircondition and Welcome to Texas

Old 06-14-2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
But I'm not fat either :-)
I told you already, I'm an anomoly wrapped in an Oxymoron. Just today I was listening (iPOD) to some Kenny Chesney while reading the Wall Street journal in the airport...people got confused. So I switched to some Disturbed to confuse them more, then cracked open my new issue of Maxim.

How could they hear your ipod??? lol
Not sure, but they commented on my song selection. Maybe they have bionic ears, or just the little ear buds do a lame job of isolating the sound from others.

Last edited by GoPadge; 06-14-2007 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: fixed quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or