U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:28 PM

16 posts, read 38,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
What we have here is not better, it's different. I don't know why people keep insisting on comparing Whole Foods and Central Market (both very expensive stores) with TJ's - a store known for great deals and bargain shopping.

The main similarity between the first two stores mentioned and TJ's is they share the demographic of people who like gourmet food.
Please don't misunderstand! I love the differences that Texas/Dallas offers. I never would have believed all the amazing foods/spirits inside Central Market. I think my feelings on TJ's is from growing up with it as it got popular in CA. I also understand why people in the local area are at least somewhat adverse to us newcomers from CA and other places. We are just now discovering the treasures of your area. CA has some fun, hidden jewels too but I am greatful to be in Dallas and having a blast!

Old 03-31-2008, 10:18 PM

288 posts, read 1,067,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Why do Californians insist that we have to have TJ's here in Texas?? Why do you want a smaller store when you can get a greater variety from Whole Foods and Central Market? Not trying to start anything, I just don't understand this fascination with TJ's when we have something better, IMO.
Whole Foods and Central Market don't stock frozen Pizza Olympiad.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:36 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,810,374 times
Never heard of it. Therefore, we don't need it.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:32 PM

123 posts, read 473,977 times
What I don't understand is why soooo many Californians are deciding to move to TX? What's the big fascination? You do realize that there are 47 other states on Conus to choose from? Yes it's hot in Dallas, not all of TX. If you don't like heat, don't move there. Home prices are cheaper, yes. Property tax is more, yes. It is a big city, yes. There's a lot of people there. Traffic sucks. Depending on where you live, you'll have to water your foundation. There are tornadoes. Maybe you won't get hit by one, but they are there. And yes, they are scary. There is lots of places to shop. Lot's of good schools. A good amount of jobs. That's Dallas in a nutshell. If none of that is to your liking, don't move there. I can't believe there is 26 pages of bickering about Dallas vs. Cali. They aren't the same. Not even close. Oh, and by the way to whomever posted that TX coast is on an OCEAN, you are delusional and need to go back to HS and study geography. TX is on the Gulf of Mexico and the last time I checked that was not considered to be an OCEAN! If you want something Cali-esque you should stay in Cali, because nothing is like it. You may however enjoy some parts of the East coast, but it won't be anything like Cali. So please stop looking. And as for whoever posted that whenever they end up in a "shady" area they act confident and whatnot. That may have worked back in the 1900's, but this millenium is totally different. I can guarantee that if you do that in an area such as Philly you'd pretty much be killed. Start reading the news. People are doing crazy stuff all over. Not just in shady areas anymore. Hell most of the really bad crimes nowadays happen out in the burbs....and are being committed by the white-collar CEO's...

Old 04-02-2008, 08:38 AM

Talking Issues

Where is all your animosity coming from? New people are moving to your area. It happens and isn't going to change in the near future. The new people like some things from their previous home. Again, that is totally normal. If you were in a new place, you would reminice about Texas a bit too. Lighten up. Life is too short to have that many issues.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:16 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,811,188 times
"Your area"? It says you live in Plano. Then again many in the northern burbs are just passing through and don't really have an attachment to Dallas or Texas -- this is heresy to those of us who were born here and live here.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:37 AM

So if I don't have the same opinion as you, I have no attachment. That is really open minded.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:48 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,811,188 times
Well I think most Texans are going to think you are a traitor if you don't love Texas. We would say, "love it or leave it!"

Why should we have to be open-minded about loyalty? It is an immutable attribute.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:57 AM

2,680 posts, read 4,465,794 times
It seems people from Cali or elsewhere are wanting to move to Dallas or other parts of Texas for the cheaper cost of living (especially cheaper housing), and since they generally still like the area they are coming from but just can't afford to live there, they have a false hope that Texas will have some similarities. California to Texas is really a complete change, and I would hope people aren't JUST doing it for the cost of living.

It's kind of funny, because on the other hand I know a few people from here in the northern plains that have moved down to Dallas and absolutely loved it. It's not such a night and day difference, both places are landlocked in the middle of the country, both are on the plains lacking mountains and such, but yet down there you have the warmer climate that many here long for, and the big city amenities and energy that many of us up here also long for, so I sure don't see any complaining from any who have made that move.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:15 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,810,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
It seems people from Cali or elsewhere are wanting to move to Dallas or other parts of Texas for the cheaper cost of living (especially cheaper housing), and since they generally still like the area they are coming from but just can't afford to live there, they have a false hope that Texas will have some similarities. California to Texas is really a complete change, and I would hope people aren't JUST doing it for the cost of living.

It's kind of funny, because on the other hand I know a few people from here in the northern plains that have moved down to Dallas and absolutely loved it. It's not such a night and day difference, both places are landlocked in the middle of the country, both are on the plains lacking mountains and such, but yet down there you have the warmer climate that many here long for, and the big city amenities and energy that many of us up here also long for, so I sure don't see any complaining from any who have made that move.
Some of them ARE just moving for the COL and they're the ones who complain the loudest.

But the point, as jbruin26 posted earlier, new people are moving here and it happens. It happens all over the world in certain places at some point in time and it changes with the times. That's not the point. It's the huge influx in so short a time period. It makes for construction headaches, traffic headaches, pollution, sprawl, etc. And yes, I admit, I resent the large numbers of out of state accents that I worry will dilute our own Texas accent as is already occurring in parts of town where alot of transplants are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or