U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2008, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
123 posts, read 473,543 times
Reputation: 50

Advertisements

I have no animosity for anyone. I was just wondering why so many Californians chose the Dallas area? I do not live there any longer and just haven't changed my location. But it just seemed to me that there was a lot of people from both NY and CA moving to the Dallas area. I say Dallas area cause most are not moving to Dallas, but rather a burb of Dallas which isn't really Dallas. I suspect it is mostly related to COL. Ah well I really don't feel much like typing right now....

 
Old 04-04-2008, 07:35 PM
 
58 posts, read 132,421 times
Reputation: 28
We moved here for COL and are moving back. Nice place, but West Coast is home. I will live in a 2500 sq. ft. home instead of a 3500 sq ft. home as long as there is Palm Trees. Too religious here. I think Austin is the best place to live in TX.
 
Old 05-20-2008, 04:25 AM
 
13 posts, read 33,750 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
I have lived most of my adult life in Southern California and I plan to move to Dallas for a while.

I was wondering what your thoughts are on the pros and cons of living in Dallas versus Southern California.

Your opinion is appreciated!
Honestly...the major difference you will notice is the cost of living and the weather. I just moved to San Diego a year ago from Dallas...and while I'm itching to get back because of how much everything costs here, I'm itching to stay here because of the weather.
You will bake...literally, in Texas. This soCal weather is pure luxury.
I text my mom every time I fill my car up with gas, just to compare prices. It's about 50cents/gallon more here. We pay $1200 for a one bed/one bath a month here in SD...$600 or less a month in Texas.
Bugs might be something else too...lots of roaches and bad mosquitos in Dallas.................
I have only seen spiders here.
Traffic is bad any where you go during rush hour, but it might be a little less stuffy in Dallas.
 
Old 05-20-2008, 08:43 AM
 
2,231 posts, read 5,320,367 times
Reputation: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Dreaming View Post
We moved here for COL and are moving back. Nice place, but West Coast is home. I will live in a 2500 sq. ft. home instead of a 3500 sq ft. home as long as there is Palm Trees. Too religious here. I think Austin is the best place to live in TX.
I don't know how a place can be too religious... it's like being too educated, or too cultured.

If you are uncomfortable with the Dallas way of life, and more in tune with a coastal Cali way of life, then you should suit yourself. I'd agree that a 3500 squ ft house is not necessarily better than 2500 squ ft, but I think paying less money for the 2500 squ ft is a good thing. But I disagree about Austin. It bores me.
 
Old 05-20-2008, 09:04 AM
 
669 posts, read 1,406,165 times
Reputation: 62
Well, if you search on the net crime in large TX cities are the largest than anywhere else. But growth brings in crime, just like LA in the 1980's - it wasn't safe by any means.

However, go to suburbs of LA - it's less safe than the city. Opposite is true of larger tx cities. And by the way adding more police officers doesn't prevent crime. They only can respond faster - does nothing to prevent crime itself. In fact the largest safest cities have the lowest police officer per capita.

My thesis was on crime and stastics, the only correlation with the amount of crime is median housing cost. The costlier the place to live, the less crime. Look at better place in Dallas area where there are very wealthy communities - not much action goin on there - And that's the same with all major cities.

jobsanger: Dallas Has Highest Crime Rate For Large Cities
 
Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 AM
 
669 posts, read 1,406,165 times
Reputation: 62
Just another one if you think I'm BSing..

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 06-10-2008 at 04:24 AM..
 
Old 05-20-2008, 10:11 AM
 
2,231 posts, read 5,320,367 times
Reputation: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
Well, if you search on the net crime in large TX cities are the largest than anywhere else. But growth brings in crime, just like LA in the 1980's - it wasn't safe by any means.

However, go to suburbs of LA - it's less safe than the city. Opposite is true of larger tx cities. And by the way adding more police officers doesn't prevent crime. They only can respond faster - does nothing to prevent crime itself. In fact the largest safest cities have the lowest police officer per capita.

My thesis was on crime and stastics, the only correlation with the amount of crime is median housing cost. The costlier the place to live, the less crime. Look at better place in Dallas area where there are very wealthy communities - not much action goin on there - And that's the same with all major cities.

jobsanger: Dallas Has Highest Crime Rate For Large Cities
The error in your logic is your reliance on crime stats. The FBI has a disclaimer on their webpage that says you cannot assume there is more crime in a municipality just because the numbers are greater, since each muni measures crime differently. You cannot scientifically compare crime in LA subsurbs to crime in Dallas suburbs.
 
Old 05-20-2008, 10:15 AM
 
2,231 posts, read 5,320,367 times
Reputation: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
Just another one if you think I'm BSing..
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
If there were a metro better than Dallas, it would attract more people than Dallas. People flee the LA metro because they believe it is inferior to someplace else, according to the criteria that are important to them.

Is there a better metro than Dallas? Atlanta has a slightly higher increase in population, so it is slightly better. But Dallas is in 2nd place, Houston, 3rd.

The problem with these analyses, "Best Places", etc., is that they do not scientifically predict the actual movement of people, those who would be the final arbitrer of the value of a metro. They do not reflect the actual assets and liabilities of each metro, and are really just engaging in fantasy.

Last edited by Yac; 06-10-2008 at 04:24 AM..
 
Old 05-20-2008, 10:33 AM
 
669 posts, read 1,406,165 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
If there were a metro better than Dallas, it would attract more people than Dallas. People flee the LA metro because they believe it is inferior to someplace else, according to the criteria that are important to them.

Is there a better metro than Dallas? Atlanta has a slightly higher increase in population, so it is slightly better. But Dallas is in 2nd place, Houston, 3rd.

The problem with these analyses, "Best Places", etc., is that they do not scientifically predict the actual movement of people, those who would be the final arbitrer of the value of a metro. They do not reflect the actual assets and liabilities of each metro, and are really just engaging in fantasy.
Geez people... there is NO perfect stat apparently. Where people move.... where jobs and cost of living is affordable. Man, how clear is it? 90% aren't wealthy and are working class... you gotta feed your family right?

Wow, using the word inferior is pretty strong word....go post that on LA thread and see what you get!

There must be something about a place that cost 4x as much as TX, has fewer jobs, u make almost the same amount of $$ yet people are still coming here....

oh vey!
 
Old 05-20-2008, 11:43 AM
 
2,231 posts, read 5,320,367 times
Reputation: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
Geez people... there is NO perfect stat apparently. Where people move.... where jobs and cost of living is affordable. Man, how clear is it? 90% aren't wealthy and are working class... you gotta feed your family right?
DWong, if you want to see good numbers, go to scientific journals.

Quote:
Wow, using the word inferior is pretty strong word....go post that on LA thread and see what you get!
Why? So people can feel worse about themselves than they already do?


Quote:
There must be something about a place that cost 4x as much as TX, has fewer jobs, u make almost the same amount of $$ yet people are still coming here....
California has negative domestic migration. The number fleeing the state for other American states is greater than the number moving in from other states. Not only that, the people leaving have a better understanding of the defects of Cali than the unfortunate suckers who move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top