U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:05 PM

669 posts, read 1,409,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
DWong, if you want to see good numbers, go to scientific journals.

Why? So people can feel worse about themselves than they already do?

California has negative domestic migration. The number fleeing the state for other American states is greater than the number moving in from other states. Not only that, the people leaving have a better understanding of the defects of Cali than the unfortunate suckers who move in.
Wow, someone is really drinking the hatorade...
Those crime stats are from the Uniform Crime report - u got something better... geez.. just keep drinking the koolaid!

Old 05-20-2008, 01:39 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,867,422 times
I agree with ace -- Austin can really be boring after a while - it's just not a big city. It's a nice place to visit...

Old 05-20-2008, 02:29 PM

669 posts, read 1,409,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I agree with ace -- Austin can really be boring after a while - it's just not a big city. It's a nice place to visit...
Really? Well, I guess it's all depending on what you want.
Some people enjoy the home life- some want more.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:18 PM

2,231 posts, read 5,331,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
Really? Well, I guess it's all depending on what you want.
Some people enjoy the home life- some want more.
There is nothing in Austin that Dallas does not have more of.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:20 PM

10 posts, read 52,462 times
Smile Still Lovin' CA

So I've just read this entire thread! Goodness gracious! My SIL was offered a job in Dallas and we read through this to get a perspective. I truly believe in the old adage "to each their own." It doesn't matter to me whether you prefer CA or TX. I do however feel the urge to make a few of my own points-and maybe nobody will even read them since this thread it so old...
I was born and raised in CA. I have lived EVERYWHERE so it makes me giggle to see these over generalized statements, for good or bad, about the state. By everywhere I mean: The Central Valley (Ag land), Eureka/Arcata (Humboldt County), San Francisco, Greater Sacramento-in the 'Burbs and in the foothills, San Diego and Greater L.A.. So I've frozen my tail off, sweltered to death, lived at the beach, lived in the fog, lived at the base of the Sierra Nevadas (with Lake Tahoe less than an hour away...), sat in traffic, experienced an earthquake, lived in the snow...you get the point. There are crappy aspects to any area-but I LOVE CALIFORNIA!

No matter where I have lived I have had fantastic experiences. Maybe I've just "found them" as I thrive outdoors. I hike, bike, backpack, rock climb, rappel, surf, river-raft, kayak (river or ocean), wine-taste, whale-watch, golf (ahhh, Spyglass and Torre Pines), water-ski, etc, et al. Regardless of where I have lived I have been a very short drive to some amazingly beautiful place: Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Napa Valley, Amador County Wineries, Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur, Mono Lake, Joshua Trees, Redwoods and Sequoias, Gold Country, Glorious State Parks, La Jolla/Newport Beach, the rugged North Coast. Both Western and Eastern Sierras are breathtaking, there's the Coastal Range, Mount Tam, Kern Canyon...
There are cultural offerings everywhere as well for those with an inclination for the Arts, or state history.

So when I read something from someone saying "the unfortunate people who move to Cali" I just assume that they spend a lot of time indoors or truly don't know all that the state has to offer. PP's are so right-it is NOT all beaches. I wouldn't love it if it were. It is so much more than that.

So this gets to the expense factor. I have worked very hard my entire life (still in my 30's) to get where I am today. We're not rich, my spouse is a teacher for goodness sake! Contrary to what some have posted, we still travel every year-alternating overseas with Hawaii. We have a nice home-that would be "small" to Texas standards. But for me, I love my cozy home. I grew up in a small home. I would get lost in a massive house! But that's just me. What matters to me is being able to get in my car and just be somewhere fantastic. I fully support people who make the decision to move out of state to afford bigger homes or satisfy their personal idea of what quality of life is. I'm just saying that for me-it's all here. I am very familiar with Texas as I spent 10 years having a long distance relationship with someone there and racked up a lot of miles flying into DFW and IAH. God Bless the great state of Texas! But give me California any day...I'm a born and raised California girl and I don't plan on leaving.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:28 PM

58 posts, read 132,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehorizons View Post
So I've just read this entire thread! Goodness gracious! My SIL was offered a job in Dallas and we read through this to get a perspective. I truly believe in the old adage "to each their own." It doesn't matter to me whether you prefer CA or TX. I do however feel the urge to make a few of my own points-and maybe nobody will even read them since this thread it so old...
I was born and raised in CA. I have lived EVERYWHERE so it makes me giggle to see these over generalized statements, for good or bad, about the state. By everywhere I mean: The Central Valley (Ag land), Eureka/Arcata (Humboldt County), San Francisco, Greater Sacramento-in the 'Burbs and in the foothills, San Diego and Greater L.A.. So I've frozen my tail off, sweltered to death, lived at the beach, lived in the fog, lived at the base of the Sierra Nevadas (with Lake Tahoe less than an hour away...), sat in traffic, experienced an earthquake, lived in the snow...you get the point. There are crappy aspects to any area-but I LOVE CALIFORNIA!

No matter where I have lived I have had fantastic experiences. Maybe I've just "found them" as I thrive outdoors. I hike, bike, backpack, rock climb, rappel, surf, river-raft, kayak (river or ocean), wine-taste, whale-watch, golf (ahhh, Spyglass and Torre Pines), water-ski, etc, et al. Regardless of where I have lived I have been a very short drive to some amazingly beautiful place: Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Napa Valley, Amador County Wineries, Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur, Mono Lake, Joshua Trees, Redwoods and Sequoias, Gold Country, Glorious State Parks, La Jolla/Newport Beach, the rugged North Coast. Both Western and Eastern Sierras are breathtaking, there's the Coastal Range, Mount Tam, Kern Canyon...
There are cultural offerings everywhere as well for those with an inclination for the Arts, or state history.

So when I read something from someone saying "the unfortunate people who move to Cali" I just assume that they spend a lot of time indoors or truly don't know all that the state has to offer. PP's are so right-it is NOT all beaches. I wouldn't love it if it were. It is so much more than that.

So this gets to the expense factor. I have worked very hard my entire life (still in my 30's) to get where I am today. We're not rich, my spouse is a teacher for goodness sake! Contrary to what some have posted, we still travel every year-alternating overseas with Hawaii. We have a nice home-that would be "small" to Texas standards. But for me, I love my cozy home. I grew up in a small home. I would get lost in a massive house! But that's just me. What matters to me is being able to get in my car and just be somewhere fantastic. I fully support people who make the decision to move out of state to afford bigger homes or satisfy their personal idea of what quality of life is. I'm just saying that for me-it's all here. I am very familiar with Texas as I spent 10 years having a long distance relationship with someone there and racked up a lot of miles flying into DFW and IAH. God Bless the great state of Texas! But give me California any day...I'm a born and raised California girl and I don't plan on leaving.
Post of the year!!!

Old 06-14-2008, 12:48 PM

2,896 posts, read 5,925,695 times
since we have another thread going along the same lines I'm gonna close this one down and ask that you folks head over to the other one to continue the discussion. Thanks for participating in this one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or