U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:25 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,168,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txstar View Post
I think there is a lot more than living in Dallas than just cheap housing. In fact I think some of the most gorgeous homes can be found in Dallas (preston hollow, highland park, university park, swiss ave, and many more).
Dallas is a major financial hub with numerous fortune 500 compainies, with six million plus living in the metroplex, so I think Dallas is much more than just cheap housing.

Although Dallas does not have mountains, Austin and the hill country are a short drive away from Dallas.
Lived in Austin too. Hill country nice. Austin has lots of lakes to make up for the lack of ocean. Lots of trees. Thats where I would go if I were a Californian. Not as many, if any, Tornados. lightning storms kick butt. No sports teams, but they do have the texas long horns.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:30 PM

87 posts, read 348,093 times
I agree Socketz, I just think it's funny when people say only move to Dallas if you want a cheap house.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,020,476 times
I recall the feeling I had when my new company here called me in San Diego less than a year ago and asked me if I would ever consider moving to Dallas. I recall all the weird visions and stereotypes going through my head. I can remember my wife's face when I told her.....it was like we were invited to another planet by aliens. The friends that invited us for 'intervention' bacause they thought we'd lost our minds. BUT. after the initial shock wore off, we both decided that we owed it to ourselves to take a look at the area and explore the offer. Once we came here (in August of last year - the area was at its worse visually), we started looking around and it wasn't bad at all. We started in uptown combed through just about every area between the NDT and the 75.

Then we came several more times (I was given a month) and we decided to give it a shot. Now it just seems like home #2 in our lives.

Still, I'm not ready to throw CA under the bus to validate my decision. It seems that I'm unique in that way I guess, I don't need to hate something to let go of it.

Also, the 'Once you leave you can never go back' is only true it you allow it to be. If I want to go back, you'll figure out how to do so. Will there be sacrifices of some sort, probably, but to say your locked out forever ? That just motivates me. I'll live where I want/need to live and do what I need to do to live there.

Last edited by socketz; 05-29-2007 at 08:53 PM..

Old 05-29-2007, 09:46 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,168,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
I recall the feeling I had when my new company here called me in San Diego less than a year ago and asked me if I would ever consider moving to Dallas. I recall all the weird visions and stereotypes going through my head. I can remember my wife's face when I told her.....it was like we were invited to another planet by aliens. The friends that invited us for 'intervention' bacause they thought we'd lost our minds. BUT. after the initial shock wore off, we both decided that we owed it to ourselves to take a look at the area and explore the offer. Once we came here (in August of last year - the area was at its worse visually), we started looking around and it wasn't bad at all. We started in uptown combed through just about every area between the NDT and the 75.

Then we came several more times (I was given a month) and we decided to give it a shot. Now it just seems like home #2 in our lives.

Still, I'm not ready to throw CA under the bus to validate my decision. It seems that I'm unique in that way I guess, I don't need to hate something to let go of it.

Also, the 'Once you leave you can never go back' is only true it you allow it to be. If I want to go back, you'll figure out how to do so. Will there be sacrifices of some sort, probably, but to say your locked out forever ? That just motivates me. I'll live where I want/need to live and do what I need to do to live there.
Awesome, Sounds like you found your home. The Ocean and perfect weather isnt everything to everybody.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:08 PM

313 posts, read 1,569,384 times
I have lived in both and The Dallas area... really FRISCO is just better in every way

Old 05-30-2007, 06:49 AM

There is a seductive pull that affordable housing has on a person...

Still wouldn't say any place here is better for me, but the area is right for this stage of my life.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:38 AM

2,231 posts, read 5,320,889 times
I lived in California for many years, mostly in the Bay Area and Sacramento, but also Los Angeles for a short time.

The Southern California heat was horrible, but then I lived in the San Fernando Valley. Sacramento heat is also pretty unendurable for a couple of months. The truth is that the weather is perfect only in a small coastal fringe maybe 5 to 10 miles from the ocean. And properties in that fringe are taken by the rich.

Basically, I live in a city to enjoy city life, not to swim in oceans or to cllimb mountains. Dallas is the Texas outpost of culture and urbanity and dynamic city growth. Its supply of playhouses and classical music converts and art films is what I live in this city for.

But I do like nature. The Lake Texoma shore is as scenic as any California beachside bluff, and the area has many forests and lakeshores for me to hike through. The North Texas Hill country begins about 40 miles west of Fort Worth and looks pretty spectacular to me. If I want to climb bigger mountains I just drive west to the Davis mountains or Guadalupe. If I want a local hillside experience, I go to Cedar Hills State Park on the Dallas City limits.

Regarding taxes... the issue is not so much the rate, but the number of dollars you pay. If the rate on a Dallas house is 2.25% and the rate on a California house is 1%, and the prices are $600,000 for a house that would cost $250,000 in Dallas, you'll pay the same number of dollars in property taxes. And the Cali taxes will fund less public services in Cali because the cost of doing business in Cali is much higher.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:47 AM

313 posts, read 1,569,384 times
I love these VS threads

Old 05-30-2007, 10:33 AM

1,078 posts, read 3,438,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Toranadoes here are many, many, many times more frequent that the slight aftershocks you 'may' feel in CA. I lived there almost 2 decades and felt the earth move 2x. Most of the activity you see on the news is out in the Desert beyond Coachella where the San Andreas fault bends and heads southeast into Mexico. Nobody really lives out there.

I enjoy it here and can appreciate why people want to move here and raise a family, but I'm not sure I'm done with CA forever.
I live right on the fault line...and dear I am somebody (BTW I do not live in the Coachella)
When on the 14 freeway going to my house you drive right through it.

http://seis.natsci.csulb.edu/VIRTUAL_FIELD/Palmdale/Images/airphoto.JPG (broken link)

And I have experienced much more than a few slight aftershocks in my day...
I remember this one well,

My friends home was completely destroyed.

Just saying they do happen, and they can cause sever damage.
No weather phenomenon should be dismissed or taken lightly.
Again, there is no utopia, one has to decide what is important to them personally and what they are willing to sacrifice, for the kind of life they want.
MBG

Old 05-30-2007, 10:36 AM

Wow !! I am old. What is the community out there ? Second question...why did you live there !!!!

Were homes cheap ? The commute must have been brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or