Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:07 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,772,097 times

Advertisements

We live in the Antelope Valley...but that is not where the quake was ( those quake pics are from the 1994 Northridge quake. At the time I lived out that way and saw what it did to many of my favorite haunts and how it effected those I love personally.
Anyway about where we live, we live on the fault line, because when living in the LA area as you can see from the pics of Northridge it makes little difference where you are.
No place is cheap when talking about LA, my friend lived there because it was a very affluent area. Average home cost there currently is around $700,000.
Now as for where we live, we wanted out of the LA area, and had to look at cost, (7 years ago we could not afford $400,000 for a two bed/1 ba and we had two kids living with us) we were able to buy much more up here, the commute when we moved here was about 1 hr 15min to LAX, now it is upwards of 3 hours each way...brutal does not even begin to describe the commute, but if you want to spend under a half a million and not live in the ghetto, well, there is no where else to go within commuting distance to LAX. If you can even call it that anymore

MBG

Old 05-30-2007, 12:26 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,394,347 times
I thought that was Northridge, so that's why I was confused.

LAX is a brutal commute. It's always the commute I think about when folks here talk about bad traffic.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
I thought that was Northridge, so that's why I was confused.

LAX is a brutal commute. It's always the commute I think about when folks here talk about bad traffic.
That is one thing we will not miss at all!!
It will be nice to have my hubby call to tell me he is leaving, and not have to wait 3 hours for him to walk in the door. The amount of time, energy and gas waisted on his commute is insane!!
MBG

Old 05-30-2007, 01:35 PM

Nobody should ever do a commute like that. Ever.

This is america, people can change gears in a year and re-invent themselves.

Even an hour each way is borderline unacceptable.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:16 PM

443 posts, read 1,561,198 times
There are more threats from tornadoes than actual tornadoes in Texas. For instance I live in Wylie(half mile from where the tornado happened), where the tornado struck last month and I still haven't seen a tornado, didn't even know it struck until I heard news helicopters over my house the next morning filming blown over fences and roof tiles on the ground.

In other words, there are lots of worries to have about moving to Texas, don't worry about the twisters, hail maybe, but most likely you'll never see one once you live here. You will, however, spend many nights watching storm coverage in the place of your favorite television program. But the actual twisters tend to happen much more from Fort Worth west to Parker county.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:50 PM

I know, I know....I need to develop calluses to all the scares. Especially before my family moves out. I'm just getting it out of my system.

It's hard because I came from a place where nobody even thought about the weather.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:37 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,695,785 times
Quote:
I know, I know....I need to develop calluses to all the scares. Especially before my family moves out. I'm just getting it out of my system.

It's hard because I came from a place where nobody even thought about the weather.
This may be a dumb question but I have to ask.
If Cali or So. Cal is SOOOOO great and always sunny and never rains......... why are tanning salons needed out there? I mean really? We all read on here how great the weather is there and going to the beach, walking, etc but then you see this stupid show on E! called "Sunset Tan" (or something like that - it was on the tv at the nail salon ) and they show how really popular this place is. Why not just go lay out by the pool? The beach? Ride bikes w/ a tank top on? I don't get it. Oh, and this idiot mother on this show brought her YOUNG daughter in to get a spray tan and all the lotions and all so that she would not be "white" in her school picture. WTH!!!!! This poor girl was about 7 years old and she was not PALE and had a nice color w/ her blonde hair (hate to think if that was fake too ) and the after pic was HORRIBLE! It was WAY TOO fake. Oh, and the price tag: $1300. And I won't even let my kids get their nails painted at the nail salon.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Nobody should ever do a commute like that. Ever.

This is america, people can change gears in a year and re-invent themselves.

Even an hour each way is borderline unacceptable.
Hence we are leaving good ole So Cali, the opportunity just has not been there until now! Changing gears is much easier said than done! Took us 15 years!! But DH loves his career so we have had to sacrifice.
MBG

Old 05-30-2007, 05:50 PM

Why not rent and live closer, enjoy life.

The delta between renting and owning in CA is huge, it's a lifestyle change. Thousands of dollars.

Home ownership is not a panacea that's worth giving your sanity up for...

3 hours is just insane. You have to agree.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:37 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,668,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
This may be a dumb question but I have to ask.
If Cali or So. Cal is SOOOOO great and always sunny and never rains......... why are tanning salons needed out there? I mean really? We all read on here how great the weather is there and going to the beach, walking, etc but then you see this stupid show on E! called "Sunset Tan" (or something like that - it was on the tv at the nail salon ) and they show how really popular this place is. Why not just go lay out by the pool? The beach? Ride bikes w/ a tank top on? I don't get it. Oh, and this idiot mother on this show brought her YOUNG daughter in to get a spray tan and all the lotions and all so that she would not be "white" in her school picture. WTH!!!!! This poor girl was about 7 years old and she was not PALE and had a nice color w/ her blonde hair (hate to think if that was fake too ) and the after pic was HORRIBLE! It was WAY TOO fake. Oh, and the price tag: $1300. And I won't even let my kids get their nails painted at the nail salon.

That's a good point MOM!! lol For me (when I lived there) I went to the tanning salon when i wanted to get some "even" color fast. I also went to get a base tan before hitting the beach. Nobody wants to look white when you walk onto the beach.lol...

I haven't seen that show....sounds ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas