U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 11:10 PM

1,078 posts, read 3,439,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionablecowboy View Post
Sounds like someone is jealous..
No, sounds like someone is realistic.
MBG

Old 06-03-2007, 11:40 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,265,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionablecowboy View Post
Sounds like someone is jealous..
LOL!!! Why on earth would I be jealous. I don't have to work. Hubby is pres of a successful biz and can take off when he wants. Live in a VERY nice house in a very nice area (this house in Cali..... it would be how much? ). We have hobbies that we enjoy and have the time and funds to do so. Love to travel to places all over the world and have the time and funds to do so many times a year. Get to see beaches and mountains that put those in Cali to shame . Kids are getting a great education and a stay at home mom to boot (I only work for hubs when I have to and typically while the kids are in school). Been able to save for kids college education and retirement and pretty much have college funded and none of them are even in high school yet. Retirement, could throw in the towel tomorrow and have enough to live on for decades w/o having to change our way of life. Hmmmmm. Now tell me again why I'm supposed to be jealous?

MBG is right, I'm realistic. I realize I live in a heck of a great place and thank my lucky stars (and God) everyday for blessing me for being born and raised here and for the opportunities because of such.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:08 AM

2,395 posts, read 7,610,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Now tell me again why I'm supposed to be jealous?
Can I now be jealous?

Seriously though, kudos to you and your hubby. Some folks get upset about other people positions instead of focusing on what they need to improve their own. We can ONLY worry about what we can do, what we can acheive and what we want out of our lives.

My wife and I are very happy and thankful for the things we have also. Dallas has so much to offer.

These x -vx- Dallas conversations get quite humorous. To me, cost of living is important. Lower = better. Dallas has a lower cost of living so I can allocate more budget to do vacations, own a house, fund an early retirement, etc, at the same time do all the things day to day that make our everyday life great - I love working on the house (in fact, took today off to finish tiling the backspash and do some painting in the master bath), we both enjoy going out to dinners, going for walks, etc, etc. At the same time, I realize there are different strokes for different folks. For some people, weather is the highest priority; some people can't live without the mountains; some people love the views of the ocean. That's why some people love Colorado, some people love California, some people love NYC. I love Dallas... and incidentally, don't hate any place. I can see the beauty of most places even if it isn't a place that would appeal to me as a place to live. Heck, I moved here from Michigan. To a person that loves the outdoors for fishing and hunting... they'd think I'm totally insane.

Brian

Old 06-04-2007, 11:53 AM

3,035 posts, read 13,025,724 times
"I can see the beauty of most places even if it isn't a place that would appeal to me as a place to live."

I'm the same way Newbie - stick me on the moon and I'd make the best of it - but you need to know that there are some that will not tolerate this type of 'gray' disposition, they want you to choose one or the other.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:05 PM

739 posts, read 2,696,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
Of course!!

Sadly, some folks think Cali is like Disneyland...it is far from it!!
MBG
Yeah Disneyland sucks! Over crowded, overly expensive, no one speaks English...oh wait, maybe SoCal IS like Disneyland....

Old 06-04-2007, 01:14 PM

1,078 posts, read 3,439,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Yeah Disneyland sucks! Over crowded, overly expensive, no one speaks English...oh wait, maybe SoCal IS like Disneyland....
Too much, yeah, maybe!!
MBG

Old 06-04-2007, 01:25 PM

I'm trying to avoid launching an attack on you guys. Seriously, if you hate CA, don't live there. Not sure alot of this self-justification your talking is going anywhere.

This is CA:

I lived about 4 miles from this area for 2 years. I'm not rich, never inherited a silver spoon, I grew up in a lower class area blocks outside of Washington DC - all I learned there was how to fight/get away with larcency......went into the Navy to get money for school.....went to night school at a tier 2 school because I needed to work the day manning a help desk to pay my way.

My point is not to seek pity from anyone with regards to my scenario of pinching and scratching my way to a good living/life, but to show that even a guy with alot of odds stacked against him, was able to live and do just fine in CA. CA is full of dreamers just like me. Maybe that's the allure.

I do better here of course because of the cost of living decrease, but you guys are trying to make eveyone here believe that you need to already be rich to ever dream of living in CA.

That's bunk. But you will need to sacrifice a few things and possibly re-invent yourself a few times, but anything is possible if you want it to be.

Really, this bashing is getting really old.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:49 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,170,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
I'm trying to avoid launching an attack on you guys. Seriously, if you hate CA, don't live there. Not sure alot of this self-justification your talking is going anywhere.

This is CA:

I lived about 4 miles from this area for 2 years. I'm not rich, never inherited a silver spoon, I grew up in a lower class area blocks outside of Washington DC - all I learned there was how to fight/get away with larcency......went into the Navy to get money for school.....went to night school at a tier 2 school because I needed to work the day manning a help desk to pay my way.

My point is not to seek pity from anyone with regards to my scenario of pinching and scratching my way to a good living/life, but to show that even a guy with alot of odds stacked against him, was able to live and do just fine in CA. CA is full of dreamers just like me. Maybe that's the allure.

I do better here of course because of the cost of living decrease, but you guys are trying to make eveyone here believe that you need to already be rich to ever dream of living in CA.

That's bunk. But you will need to sacrifice a few things and possibly re-invent yourself a few times, but anything is possible if you want it to be.

Really, this bashing is getting really old.
I would like to live there. Now if someone could put up there favorite Dallas postcard that would be great. Truth is, dallas has nothing that beats that. I have lived in 18 states, and Cali is in my top 3

Old 06-04-2007, 01:58 PM

2,231 posts, read 5,322,764 times
Well, Texas has some scenic and rugged coastlines also.

Most of California is flat prairie, hot as hades in the summer, blindingly foggy in the winter. What we are attacking is the delusional myth that the tiny coastal fringe and its weather represents California.
Attached Thumbnails
Dallas versus Southern California-dscf1413.jpg  

Old 06-04-2007, 02:35 PM

Interesting, someone tell San Diego, Orange County, LA, San Fransico that they're 'fringe' areas. Again, a majority of the residents in CA live within a reasonable commute to the Pacific Ocean. Yes, MBG has proven that there are others that live in remote areas in the middle of nowhere, but those are the minority.

Also, as far as scenic coastlines, I could spend the next two hours sending you pictures of just about scenic any other type of topography you could dream of...

How about a scenic dessert:

http://www.pilotguides.com/images/content/adventure_golf/southern_california/pga_17.jpg (broken link)

These are the only places in CA that are over 100 degrees on a consistent basis. The coastine gets the fog, I can go 7 miles inland and it's gone.

Again, my point is not to raise CA over TX in the polls, but to show that there is a reason that millions and millions and millions of people choose to live their lives there.....let's not hide our heads under a rock and try to deny this....

There's trade-offs though, and that's been my point all along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or