U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2007, 09:20 AM

12 posts, read 58,531 times

Advertisements

does the dallas area get hit with any tornadoes, is it a frequent thing there
please tell me i don't know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 10:11 AM

313 posts, read 1,569,525 times
there is some around here right now!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:38 AM

3,035 posts, read 13,021,868 times
Ditto !!!

I thought I'd hear the sirens go off, but here it is now an hour later and the birds are chirpping outside.

Man, this place gets raped and then 30 mins later it's dressed up and ready for the dance.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:06 PM

59 posts, read 133,514 times
I lived in Dallas from 1997-2004. I remember the sirens going off a couple times but never had anything actually hit near where I lived (White Rock Lake area).

Keep in mind that the metro area is huge - bigger than many states. So when you hear about a tornado in "Dallas" you are talking about a lot of land. Your chances of being personally affected are very small. There are many long time residents who have never seen a tornado.

When I was there they seemed to be more frequent in the Ft Worth and northern suburbs than in central Dallas or the east side of town. This may be a fluke or have something to do with local geography.

Hail was a much bigger threat. Many people have had to replace their roofs and have had trouble getting house insurance.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:37 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,021,868 times
The Dallas MSA is a giant area. Fort Worth seems far away to me. Arlington seems like another part of texas.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Ditto !!!

I thought I'd hear the sirens go off, but here it is now an hour later and the birds are chirpping outside.

Man, this place gets raped and then 30 mins later it's dressed up and ready for the dance.

lol

that's the truth..

My wife said at our place in Frisco you could hear the Sirens going off and we lost power..

now it's beautiful out

Old 05-30-2007, 02:06 PM

6 posts, read 23,661 times
You can kinda think of it as living in California & earthquakes - yes, it's a big part of Texas - tornado alley and all that, but as the other posters have said - it doesn't really affect much. I certainly wouldn't let it keep me from moving here! (Though I will admit, not being a native Californian, during the time I lived there, I became obsessed with being stuck under an overpass - I was convinced any second an earthquake would topple it.) So I understand the perception, but do know it's not some crazy "Twister" lifestyle.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:14 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,784,302 times
The only tornado in Dallas that has ever made big news since the city was founded over 150 years ago was one in 1957. It killed 10 people and has been retroactively determined to be an F-3.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:36 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,248,249 times
Sirens? I know this morning they said it was going to be severe but the biggest threat was going to be flash flooding, high winds (more of a problem than a tornado) and hail. They even said not a possibility of tornado on one radio station. Hmm. All I had was dark skies, a little bit of high wind but nothing like I was expecting so much so that I would not even call it "high wind" and a LOT of rain. No sirens over here this morning.

Yep, the fear of a tornado is pretty low. At least we have warnings and you can take measures to protect yourself. As others have said, I'm a 40+ year Native Dallasite and the closest I've seen were the clouds rotating but nothing ever developed. Had one land about 4-5 miles from our house one year (Mothers Day). We were not home though, visiting "Mom" for Mothers Day.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Sirens? I know this morning they said it was going to be severe but the biggest threat was going to be flash flooding, high winds (more of a problem than a tornado) and hail. They even said not a possibility of tornado on one radio station. Hmm. All I had was dark skies, a little bit of high wind but nothing like I was expecting so much so that I would not even call it "high wind" and a LOT of rain. No sirens over here this morning.

Yep, the fear of a tornado is pretty low. At least we have warnings and you can take measures to protect yourself. As others have said, I'm a 40+ year Native Dallasite and the closest I've seen were the clouds rotating but nothing ever developed. Had one land about 4-5 miles from our house one year (Mothers Day). We were not home though, visiting "Mom" for Mothers Day.

Even the Tornados are afraid to go to Garland J/k!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas