U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 03:18 PM

55 posts, read 141,648 times

Advertisements

My husband's new employer might pick up the relo tag. Boy would that be helpful! I will look into the Pods just in case!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 03:59 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times
Central Dallas is not so 'churchy'. We have the oldest/historic and some of the largest churches, but they are not as much into peer pressure as some of the newer, outlying ones...with the possible exception of First Baptist Downtown. I know a lot of people who don't attend church regularly and nobody ostracizes them!!!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:21 PM

55 posts, read 141,648 times
Honestly, the MegaChurch thing and the church society scare me a little. We're Jewish. However, I think people will leave us alone. I hope nobody tries to convert us. That would be so annoying.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:36 PM

1,560 posts, read 6,455,179 times
I think for the most part people won't bother you much over being Jewish. There are always exceptions to any "rule" but for the most part we all manage to get along. I can site at least one intersection where three out of the four corners offer a house of worship, one Mosque, one Synagogue and one Church.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:38 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,019,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadingtoTexas View Post
Honestly, the MegaChurch thing and the church society scare me a little. We're Jewish. However, I think people will leave us alone. I hope nobody tries to convert us. That would be so annoying.

It's Dallas, not Iraq :-)

Seriously, I don't think anyone will think twice. There are alot of Jewish people in Plano and the northern part of Dallas that meets with Plano.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:17 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times
A lot of Jewish people live in North Dallas off Hillcrest Road. But of course I am going to recommend you come to Lakewood, where there is a variety of everything...

Actually I had to think for a minute if I know that many Jewish people here because really, no one cares!

Old 06-01-2007, 07:18 PM

258 posts, read 1,022,856 times
Default HeadingtoTexas

Quote:
I understand your concern. Hubby and I are moving from NY. We are a bit scared too. He's Jewish and I was raised Baptist but don't attend Church. I hope people won't be mean re: religious differences.

We flew out to Dallas a few weeks ago, it's very nice and the people we met were very friendly.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:49 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,236,200 times
Quote:
That is nothing to worry about at all. There are a TON of Jewish people in the Dallas metroplex. There is one VERY large synagogue, Temple Emanu-El
(Temple Emanu-El Welcomes You!). It was founded in 1875 and has been growing strong ever since w/ currently 2800 families (I'd put it in with the "mega-churches" as far as size). I have a ton of friends that are Jewish and the only thing we do is give each other a hard time in fun, I'm Baptist. One of them is Jewish and her husband Baptist and it is not a big deal at all. One of my mothers best friends is Jewish. Temple Emanu-El is VERY involved in the community and the hospitals in Dallas are staffed w/ volunteers on Christmas by the Jewish community.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:03 AM

109 posts, read 553,203 times
Quote:
Oh Come ON now. You live in Metro DC! Tons of Baptists here. If they haven't attempted to Convert you here, I think you'll be ok. I don't know where you live in the DC area, but we get people coming to our house all the time trying to sway us from our Christian beliefs... 2 different religious groups that I will not name out of respect for those of other faiths.

FYI, not every Baptist is out recruiting.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:17 AM

3,035 posts, read 13,019,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_rachel View Post
I understand your concern. Hubby and I are moving from NY. We are a bit scared too. He's Jewish and I was raised Baptist but don't attend Church. I hope people won't be mean re: religious differences.

We flew out to Dallas a few weeks ago, it's very nice and the people we met were very friendly.

I'm in the exact same predicament and it has not affected me at all. Fear the green skies in Spring, but not this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or