U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:36 AM

258 posts, read 1,024,197 times

Advertisements

Thanks Socketz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 07:45 AM

55 posts, read 141,716 times
True--except people don't wear their religion on their sleeve for the most part, in DC and the burbs. It's a live and let live philosophy. We currently live in a predominately Jewish neighborhood--I had to let one particular group that comes around on Saturday mornings know that they were barking up the wrong tree here with their conversion tactics.

I realize Dallas is not hicksville USA. It's multi-cultured, sophisticated, sharp, and its people are smart. We would not be considering a move there if it wasn't.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:19 AM

3,035 posts, read 13,030,243 times
Not sure they wear ir on their sleeve here as much as you think. I felt the same way before I moved here, but I don't think about that aspect as much now. Definitely more of a religious subtext here though....

Old 06-04-2007, 10:18 AM

It's a perception based on what I've heard about Dallas..it isn't based on fact at all. I am sure once we've visited I will feel differently. I think church is a big part of life in Dallas, for some people. That's not a bad thing. Just different from what I am used to seeing.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:07 PM

2,231 posts, read 5,324,734 times
Whay you've heard is probably nonsense and rumor.

Dallas has 6 million people, and it contains virtually every subset of society, every possible ideology or social class.

Whatever you believe in... atheism, devil worship, druid cults... you'll find thousands of people in Dallas that will agree with you.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:20 PM

A favorite quote of a friend of mine is, "After all, this is still America!" You have got to love a place that has a place for everyone. I am not saying its always smooth sailing with peace and harmony..

I realize Dallas is a metropolis with millions of people. I am not really worried

Old 06-04-2007, 02:30 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,286,454 times
Just accept those of us that are Christians and not afraid to live it and even admit to it openly and we will accept you. Accept us for being open and comfortable enough w/ ourselves and our faith to invite you to a function (Vacation Bible School is a HUGE deal around here) or to even mention that we go to church. Once someone knows that you have a faith that you do or don't practice most will leave it alone. Others that you develop a good friendship w/ are very capable of carrying on an adult conversation in talking about the different religions/faiths. Just accept us for who we are and we readily accept you for who you are. Like the old saying says, "it is a two way street". Those that are zealot fanatics come in all religions and faiths and are not the norm. I blow them off and ignore them.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:35 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,030,243 times
True.

In CA, as a Christian you are expected to 'keep it to yourself' because you 'may' offend someone....not sure TX will ever come to that, especially not in my lifetime. And to be honest, I'm glad. I believe that places like CA have evolved backwards with regards to accepting that faith is a big part of many people's lives, and has been since our country (as we know) has existed.

We want to wash that away and become homogenous with everything around us because because once once we are homogenous, we no longer are in any danger of accidently offending someone. We then use radical islamic comparisons to justify what I believe is a fear many have of religion.

Meanwhile, as a nation, we lack any form of defined culture/values.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:23 PM

2,231 posts, read 5,324,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
True.

In CA, as a Christian you are expected to 'keep it to yourself' because you 'may' offend someone....not sure TX will ever come to that, especially not in my lifetime. And to be honest, I'm glad. I believe that places like CA have evolved backwards with regards to accepting that faith is a big part of many people's lives, and has been since our country (as we know) has existed.

We want to wash that away and become homogenous with everything around us because because once once we are homogenous, we no longer are in any danger of accidently offending someone. We then use radical islamic comparisons to justify what I believe is a fear many have of religion.

Meanwhile, as a nation, we lack any form of defined culture/values.
Very astute comment, socketz. A country without a religious tradition is like a country without science or music.

Could it be that the economic success of the Sunbelt is positively correlated with its religiosity?

Old 06-04-2007, 05:57 PM

313 posts, read 1,570,426 times
I was somewhat concerned with the "religousness" of it here but it's fine really, there are some that life revolves around church but that's fine with me, not quite the "pushers" I was thinking I'd encounter..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or