U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:56 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,019,187 times

Advertisements

That's what we call that "Country Grammar"....

Newbie - Once I can find Iowa City on a map, I'll give you the heads up on whether I'd live there or not. Like LOK222 said, I was just kidding. If I move again, it will be back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 04:48 PM

313 posts, read 1,569,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
That's what we call that "Country Grammar"....

Newbie - Once I can find Iowa City on a map, I'll give you the heads up on whether I'd live there or not. Like LOK222 said, I was just kidding. If I move again, it will be back home.

Like I said Socketz, we are gonna be fishin in 10 years.. Watch! and I mean HERE not in Cali

Old 05-30-2007, 05:07 PM

609 posts, read 2,672,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Is that rain View Post
wow great stuff
LIved in both Iowa City and Dallas.

I can safely say I like Dallas better.

Warmer winters.
Better job opportunities
Great airline access: home to the world's two major airlines; Southwest and American
Thriving city with constant construction

But it depends what you want:

Here is the profile of Iowa City vs. Dallas:

Iowa City:
1) Location: Midwest
2) Weather: 4 seasons: Winters can be harsh with lots of snow. My last year there it went subzero for weeks at a time with lots of snow. Falls have the nice brisk fall air coupled with changing of leaves. Summers can be hot.
3) Small town atmosphere: Can get anywhere in 15 min. or less.
4) Population: 130,000 with Coralville and surrounding burbs
5) College town sports: Hawkeyes rule here. Big Ten rules.
6) Nearest major city: Chicago: 3.5-4 hr drive away. Des Moines, a small city, is a short 2 hrs to the west. Cedar Rapids, a large town who Iowa City shares its airport with is just 30 minutes to the North, with an area population exceeding 200,000.
7) Foods: Corn fed beef, good corn.
8) University of Iowa: 30,000 plus students plus faculty makes this city relatively well educated per capita.
9) Good schools: Iowa consistently ranks among the top states for public high school education
10) Great healthcare: University of Iowa consistently ranks among the top in most of its programs.

DFW Metroplex:
1) Location: Texas
2) Population: 4th largest MSA in the country in at 6.03 million people North Texas council estimates us at 6.4 million.
3) Two large cities: Dallas (9th largest) and Ft. Worth (19th largest) cities in the US. the Metroplex contains most of the largest cities in the state of Texas: Dallas, FT. Worth, Arlington, Irving, Garland. Irving alone is about the population of Des Moines, IA proper.
4) Foods; Grass fed beef Dallas proper alone has over 7000 restaurants. the DFW area has over 10,000 restuarants to choose from easily including a Chinatown area, Korean TOwn, Vietnamese neighborhood, Mexican neighborhoods.
5) Pro sports rule: DFW is one of only a handful of cities to have all available pro-sports teams. Dallas Cowboys, Dallas STars, and Mavericks are the most popular. We also boast Nascar track (Texas Motor Speedway), and Horse Racing (Lone Star Park).
6) WEather: Beautiful winters: Average 50-60's for highs in the winter. Hot dry summers: Upper 90's to low 100's with only 20-30% humiditity...in contrast to Iowa's 80% humidity summers. NO Fall brisk air, and less prominent leaf color changes.
7) Economy: Has the highest concentration of corporate headquarters in the United States and is home to America's largest FOrtune 500 company: Exon-Mobil. But other household names you might recognize: Southwest Airlines, American Airlines, Pizza Hut, Blockbuster, Seven Eleven, Mary Kay, Cadbury Swepps, etc etc. THus more job opportunities. The Texas Silicon Valley is located here as well and features many IT companies.
8) College: SMU and TCU, though DFW does not sport a college town atmosphere.
9) Two major US airports: DFW Int'l (3rd busiest, 2nd largest in US), 3rd largest in world, 6th busiest in world. DFW was rated by JD power as the number one airport in America for overall customer satisfaction. Dallas Love field placed 2nd among small airports losing only to Houston Hobby. American's largest hub is here offering non stop service to Europe, Asia, and virtually every major city in America. Southwest is hubbed at Love Field, which keeps air fares low here.

10) Public Transportation: The DART rail has 45 miles of track and TRE has another 30 miles. DART busses also run throughout several suburbs and the city of Dallas.

11) Largest Arts district in country

12) Taxes: No state income tax. High sales tax: 8.25%

At the end of the day, it boils down to preferences:

Big city vs. small college town. I've lived both. I can safely say I prefer DFW.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:57 PM

41 posts, read 42,179 times
I don't know why I put Iowa City on the list. I looked at some pics today of
Iowa City and a shudder ran through my body. A coworker mentioned it to me so I briefly considered it. I shudder at the thought of Des Moines as well.
At this point, which is literallly the eve of my freak-ass departure, I am
undecided where I want to go. It will either be hot and big Dallas with its
explosive job opportunities, Saint Louis and its crime ridden core, but
supposedly beautiful countryside, Cincinnati with its historic buildings
and German traditions, or Indianapolis, which I hear lacks any type
of character and is rather blah. The latter has the lowest cost housing,
however. And buying a home is my primary reason for moving. Still I want
the city to be likeable. What does that mean? It means that I want to
live in a place where people are happy to be there. In certain towns
(Fort Collins, Colorado, for example, and even Denver) you get the
impression that people are happy to live in such a place. I don't ski
so the front range does nothing for me. I need more trees and greenery, too.
Any thoughts or comparisons on the four
places I mentioned which are on my list? I leave tomorrow morning,
and that's no chit. I appreciate your opinions.
For the record I am in Reno, NV.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:08 PM

41 posts, read 42,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
LIved in both Iowa City and Dallas.

I can safely say I like Dallas better.

Warmer winters.
Better job opportunities
Great airline access: home to the world's two major airlines; Southwest and American
Thriving city with constant construction

But it depends what you want:

Here is the profile of Iowa City vs. Dallas:

Iowa City:
1) Location: Midwest
2) Weather: 4 seasons: Winters can be harsh with lots of snow. My last year there it went subzero for weeks at a time with lots of snow. Falls have the nice brisk fall air coupled with changing of leaves. Summers can be hot.
3) Small town atmosphere: Can get anywhere in 15 min. or less.
4) Population: 130,000 with Coralville and surrounding burbs
5) College town sports: Hawkeyes rule here. Big Ten rules.
6) Nearest major city: Chicago: 3.5-4 hr drive away. Des Moines, a small city, is a short 2 hrs to the west. Cedar Rapids, a large town who Iowa City shares its airport with is just 30 minutes to the North, with an area population exceeding 200,000.
7) Foods: Corn fed beef, good corn.
8) University of Iowa: 30,000 plus students plus faculty makes this city relatively well educated per capita.
9) Good schools: Iowa consistently ranks among the top states for public high school education
10) Great healthcare: University of Iowa consistently ranks among the top in most of its programs.

DFW Metroplex:
1) Location: Texas
2) Population: 4th largest MSA in the country in at 6.03 million people North Texas council estimates us at 6.4 million.
3) Two large cities: Dallas (9th largest) and Ft. Worth (19th largest) cities in the US. the Metroplex contains most of the largest cities in the state of Texas: Dallas, FT. Worth, Arlington, Irving, Garland. Irving alone is about the population of Des Moines, IA proper.
4) Foods; Grass fed beef Dallas proper alone has over 7000 restaurants. the DFW area has over 10,000 restuarants to choose from easily including a Chinatown area, Korean TOwn, Vietnamese neighborhood, Mexican neighborhoods.
5) Pro sports rule: DFW is one of only a handful of cities to have all available pro-sports teams. Dallas Cowboys, Dallas STars, and Mavericks are the most popular. We also boast Nascar track (Texas Motor Speedway), and Horse Racing (Lone Star Park).
6) WEather: Beautiful winters: Average 50-60's for highs in the winter. Hot dry summers: Upper 90's to low 100's with only 20-30% humiditity...in contrast to Iowa's 80% humidity summers. NO Fall brisk air, and less prominent leaf color changes.
7) Economy: Has the highest concentration of corporate headquarters in the United States and is home to America's largest FOrtune 500 company: Exon-Mobil. But other household names you might recognize: Southwest Airlines, American Airlines, Pizza Hut, Blockbuster, Seven Eleven, Mary Kay, Cadbury Swepps, etc etc. THus more job opportunities. The Texas Silicon Valley is located here as well and features many IT companies.
8) College: SMU and TCU, though DFW does not sport a college town atmosphere.
9) Two major US airports: DFW Int'l (3rd busiest, 2nd largest in US), 3rd largest in world, 6th busiest in world. DFW was rated by JD power as the number one airport in America for overall customer satisfaction. Dallas Love field placed 2nd among small airports losing only to Houston Hobby. American's largest hub is here offering non stop service to Europe, Asia, and virtually every major city in America. Southwest is hubbed at Love Field, which keeps air fares low here.

10) Public Transportation: The DART rail has 45 miles of track and TRE has another 30 miles. DART busses also run throughout several suburbs and the city of Dallas.

11) Largest Arts district in country

12) Taxes: No state income tax. High sales tax: 8.25%

At the end of the day, it boils down to preferences:

Big city vs. small college town. I've lived both. I can safely say I prefer DFW.
Metoplex, thanks for your breakdown of Dallas. You really put a good spin on it. Of the four cities (Cincy, Indy, STL, Dallas) only Dallas is considered a place with strong projected job growth. I am a truck driver, and I have been through there many times, but never had much opportunity to go beyond truck stops. I have always liked the skyline of Dallas. I could do without the
pimps and prostitutes at the truck stops. It is the worse city I have seen
in that regard. So you wouldn't consider Dallas' summers to be intolerable?
Whose summers would you consider to be worse, STL or Dallas? Iowa or Dallas? What's it like for bike riders in Dallas? Is there much going on in terms of bike trails in the Dallas metro? I don't like riding on the side of the road.
Your life is just 12 inches and one distracted driver away from being over.
It's too risky.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:18 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,912,286 times
Quote:
I need to know if I'm a 'likeable' guy.

I'd guess no...
don't be modest, socketz! You know we love you here at CD forum!

getting back on thread-is Dallas likable? IMO-some of it is, and some of it isn't. Dallas has its pros and cons as everyone has pointed out.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:56 PM

34 posts, read 124,242 times
Default roflmao

Y'ALL ARE FREAKIN HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2007, 11:21 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,301,031 times
yes it is likeable and it is almost as liberal as AUSTIN! More to do in dallas of course.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:57 AM

327 posts, read 668,907 times
It's a likeable city, but I can tell you from watching the Spurs and Mavericks game on TNT tonight, that Maverick fans suck.....at least the ones not in the cheap seats that you can see on tv.

If they're all like that, they easily have the worst fans in the NBA.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:16 AM

875 posts, read 758,923 times
Quote:
Hey, a man needs a little bag of trail mix in the closet.

All my siblings in MD make fun of me as well.
LOL I'm right there with you. Hey, what's wrong with trail mix? It's perfect for some quick energy and quite healthy for you.

I like to get the big bags at Costco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or