U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:36 PM

3,029 posts, read 7,713,029 times

Advertisements

Southlake Carroll schools are VERY good but, they are not small.
The elem. schools avg +525 kids
Intermed schools (5-6) and Middle schools (7-8)avg almost 600 each. The high school is broken into 2 campus one houses (9-10) north of 1709 has 1300 kids and the Senior high(11-12) on 1709 has 1200+

For this area they are avg in size and population.
When we were looking I thought...the carroll HS were two 9-12 schools with about 1200 kids not one school split up.

So when you look at the numbers Plano schools are not that much bigger than Carroll.

It was a shock to us at how large the schoos here were... our HS in VA has 1500 total 9-12. Elementary had 550 (preK-5)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 04:41 PM

930 posts, read 1,704,735 times
I grew up in Southlake. It is expensive, more so now than it used to be. The schools are very good there. I now live in Coppell and the schools are ranked pretty good there too. My friends that have children in CISD have been happy with the schools. If your husband is working in 75251 that is over by I-635 and if you live in Coppell or Southlake, the traffic can be bad during rush hour and could possibly be more than 25 minutes....especially for Southlake.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:52 PM

930 posts, read 1,704,735 times
5stones makes a good point. I forgot that the schools are split now. When I was there, 9-12 were in the same building. The school system and size has grown tremendously in the past 15-20 years.

So what are they excactly doing to 635? Widening it/adding more lanes? I read somewhere that there will be tolls on it? I really hope that is not true.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:29 PM

8,238 posts, read 11,162,947 times
If you feel the Plano or Richardson districts are too big and you can't afford Southlake or Highland Park, I would definitely recommend Coppell ISD. Having the elems all feed into one middle & high school makes it feel so much smaller since your kids will know their entire class by the time they're in 7th or 8th grade.

Academically, it is much stronger than a Frisco/ Allen/ McKinney and more established than a newer district like Lovejoy.

Commute into N Dallas not too bad, but probably right at the 30-40 min mark, depending on time of day and traffic.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:30 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,190,857 times
I do want to point out that Plano ISD is in the process of opening another middle school this fall. Right now Murphy MS has 5 feeder elementaries. The district recently realigned the feeder pattern due to the opening of the new MS and Murphy MS will have 3 feeder elementaries (Hunt, Bowman, Miller) as will the new MS located in east Richardson (but still PISD).

Also, there is a new 9-10 HS scheduled to open Fall 2011 in Murphy (across the parking lot from Murphy MS). Currently the entire east side attends Williams HS - four MS feeders. Once the new HS opens both Williams and the new HS (McMillen) will be fed by two MS.

I hope you reconsider Murphy. It's a great place with great schools that are fixin' to become less "large."

Old 02-18-2010, 07:53 AM

12 posts, read 15,788 times
Thank you! We really liked the look of the Murphy area- in addition to all of the new surroundings- we loved that it wasn't as congested as the main part of Plano. We are just afaraid this is the begining of the spread into that Murphy area and soon that too will we crowded.

As you can tell- we are not used to this typ eof population- especially in our school system.

The commute isn't that much of an issue. 30 min commute isn't out of the question- especially since his employer is flexible with his hours. He certainly can work around the heavy traffic times.

The good thing about this decision is he will have some time to investigate our options as he will be moving out to Dallas before the children & I do. We have decided to finish out the school year here and move late May. This will give him time to take a good look around!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:21 AM

Currently, our enrollment in the Middle school here in TN is 450 students- grades 6-8. Student/Teacher ratio of 11 and 22 classes. Obviuosly this is a much smaller school that what were finding around the Dallas area- but this is something I am trying to compare with and keep around the same #'s.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:47 AM

14,874 posts, read 23,562,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbhuffman View Post
Currently, our enrollment in the Middle school here in TN is 450 students- grades 6-8. Student/Teacher ratio of 11 and 22 classes. Obviuosly this is a much smaller school that what were finding around the Dallas area- but this is something I am trying to compare with and keep around the same #'s.

That is the one thing that I really liked about the magnets in the GISD and that is the smaller classes. Even in middle school and high school the classes for the AP and IB are not overcrowded. It makes it really easy for the kids to know everyone and being a magnet where everyone there is involved in it versus the class of gifted students seperated w/in a school. You are not going to find the same numbers in many of the other districts that have been mentioned.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:32 AM

6,586 posts, read 16,438,528 times
You might consider private school to get those smaller school size numbers, or else head out to some small town like Anna, although it's not as academically competitive as the suburban schools.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:44 AM

We've considered private schools- but certainly do not want to pay "college" price tuition for schooling that is just as competative with academics in public schooling.

In regards to sports with these schools (Plano E, Garland, Coppell) what am I looking at as far as sports and competition due to the large enrollment with certain schools? My son is an average athlete- certainly not the star of the team- but enough talent to compete. What I looking at as far as sports?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas