U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2007, 03:28 PM

30 posts, read 122,544 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I have a job opportunity in Dallas and maybe some opportunities in Houston. I am considering moving to Dallas and would like to hear from any African-Americans (AAs) that currently live in the DFW area as to life for AAs in the area, the dating scene, etc.

I am a professional AA woman in my early 30's coming from Cali, originally from Chicago. I love the cost of living in Texas am afraid of the tornados, but, at the end of the day, also have questions about the quality of life, the dating scene, etc. as I'd like to marry and settle down. What is the dating scene like for young AA women? Are the AA men into AA women or primarily into women of other races? I've heard that the ratio of single AA men to single AA women is about 8/9, which sounds great. Do you feel that this ratio is fairly accurate or is there a dearth of single, heterosexual AA men as in some other places? Is Dallas a place that is big on the interracial dating scene?

Are there many places and/or organizations to facilitate young, single professional AAs gathering and meeting?

Are there communities of AAs? I know that there are apparently some communities south of downtown. Where do the young professionals live?

I will be visiting near the end of the week and into the weekend so any feedback (now or later) would be great.

I know that I asked alot of questions. I would love to hear from other AA women or men about your reality. You can PM me if you like.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated,

SC
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 04:26 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,260,529 times
For young professionals I would not just concentrate on the south side of Dallas. Head to the north side too. You will find plenty of nice AA men that are professionals in the areas north of Dallas too. You don't have kids? If so then look at some of the other areas young professionals live and not just the burbs. Try Addison, Uptown, Victory Park, Knox-Henderson, McKinney Ave, Greenville Ave - M Streets, and beyond. These are the areas your going to find most of the young single professionals of all races. Check out the Guide section of the Dallas Morning News on Friday (I believe you can find it online too at GuideLive or just go to dallasnews.com) and see what events are going on around the area that seem appealing to you and go. Find art showings, musical performances, festivals, sports, cycling rides, etc. If you see a lot of people that fall into your demographics that your looking for don't hesitate to approach them to ask about the area and where to hang out, live, etc. As for the "interracial dating scene", not a problem here no matter which way it goes for ALL races/ethnic backgrounds, etc. I have several friends that are in interracial marriages w/ families and feel comfortable going anywhere in the Dallas area. It is VERY accepted.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:18 PM

Momof2DFW, thank you. I didn't mean to imply that I'm interested in interracial dating. I meant to imply that I'm interested in being in a place where AA men are still available to AA women. I am talking numbers of available and interested AA men. Are you AA and single by chance? Just want to understand your perspective. I know that I don't have as good an idea of how it would be for say a Latina woman looking for Latino men b/c that is not my circle so I am not very knowledgeable. Just trying to understand to whom I am conversing.

Thanks,
SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
For young professionals I would not just concentrate on the south side of Dallas. Head to the north side too. You will find plenty of nice AA men that are professionals in the areas north of Dallas too. You don't have kids? If so then look at some of the other areas young professionals live and not just the burbs. Try Addison, Uptown, Victory Park, Knox-Henderson, McKinney Ave, Greenville Ave - M Streets, and beyond. These are the areas your going to find most of the young single professionals of all races. Check out the Guide section of the Dallas Morning News on Friday (I believe you can find it online too at GuideLive or just go to dallasnews.com) and see what events are going on around the area that seem appealing to you and go. Find art showings, musical performances, festivals, sports, cycling rides, etc. If you see a lot of people that fall into your demographics that your looking for don't hesitate to approach them to ask about the area and where to hang out, live, etc. As for the "interracial dating scene", not a problem here no matter which way it goes for ALL races/ethnic backgrounds, etc. I have several friends that are in interracial marriages w/ families and feel comfortable going anywhere in the Dallas area. It is VERY accepted.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Questions re African-American Life in Dallas

ETA: I am not looking for interracial dating. I'm looking for AA men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerChild View Post
Hello all,
I have a job opportunity in Dallas and maybe some opportunities in Houston. I am considering moving to Dallas and would like to hear from any African-Americans (AAs) that currently live in the DFW area as to life for AAs in the area, the dating scene, etc.

I am a professional AA woman in my early 30's coming from Cali, originally from Chicago. I love the cost of living in Texas am afraid of the tornados, but, at the end of the day, also have questions about the quality of life, the dating scene, etc. as I'd like to marry and settle down. What is the dating scene like for young AA women? Are the AA men into AA women or primarily into women of other races? I've heard that the ratio of single AA men to single AA women is about 8/9, which sounds great. Do you feel that this ratio is fairly accurate or is there a dearth of single, heterosexual AA men as in some other places? Is Dallas a place that is big on the interracial dating scene?

Are there many places and/or organizations to facilitate young, single professional AAs gathering and meeting?

Are there communities of AAs? I know that there are apparently some communities south of downtown. Where do the young professionals live?

I will be visiting near the end of the week and into the weekend so any feedback (now or later) would be great.

I know that I asked alot of questions. I would love to hear from other AA women or men about your reality. You can PM me if you like.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated,

SC

Old 05-30-2007, 05:36 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,792,258 times
Check these out:

Brooklyn

Terilli's Italian Restaurant and Bar for Dining in Dallas and Frisco

Old 05-30-2007, 08:00 PM

100 posts, read 414,374 times
They are everywhere. I'll PM you and give you a good run. Where to go and where to run from.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:18 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,260,529 times
No, I'm not AA nor single. Don't know that I'd want to be single now. LOL!!! At this age......... I'd just party and be a little.... well I'll be nice but you know what I mean. I've had/have one man and that is enough and I've never understood those women that cheat. Lord, one man is enough to take care of.

I know of plenty AA men that are single and married. All great guys and good looking. I don't go hang out at the singles places anymore but we go to sporting events, restaurants, concerts, etc and you will see plenty of good looking men of all types including AA. So one tonight that was rather handsome when we were out eating dinner but he was taken. There is a AA Chamber of Commerce in Dallas so that might be a good thing to join or look into.

Good luck

Old 05-30-2007, 09:39 PM

Thank all of you so much! Please, if you or anyone else has further comments, please don't hesitate to continue posting them.

I will definitely drop by a few of the identified places when I am in town this weekend!!

SC

Old 05-30-2007, 10:03 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,251,413 times
I'm an AA guy who moved here from Miami (and I was in L.A. before that). I don't think you'll have any problems meeting people.

True, the historic black areas are on the south side (Oak Cliff, South Dallas) and there are large numbers of middle-class AAs in Cedar Hill and Duncanville (the cities just south of Dallas) but you'll also find AAs in North Dallas and Plano as this is where many of the bigger employers are, especially those in high tech. But if you want something less suburban and more urban, try Uptown, State-Thomas, Knox-Henderson areas or the gentrifying parts of Oak Lawn where many young (or, at least, youngish) singles of various races live. Lots of apartments and condos. I lived in Uptown after moving to Dallas but before buying a place in Oak Cliff.

These web sites might help you: DallasBlack.com: Your City. Your Life. Your Style!, Blacks in Dallas

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:22 AM

108 posts, read 494,145 times
^ SIngle AA male here as well. I'd have to say that TrueDat nailed it. Good information there. You can pm me as well if you have more questions or want another perspective.

I hope you choose Big D!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or