U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,485 times

Advertisements

I am also thinking of relocating to either Anna or Mckinney, TX. I currently live in Texarkana. I am from Milwaukee, WI but once I started having children, I didn't want to live in the big city.I would like to live closer to the DFW area but not right in the busy city. I am single with three children; two teenage boys and a toddler. I would like to be in an area that is considered safe. Exactly how far is Anna and Mckinney from Dallas? I am looking to buy a house so I don't want a house that's very close to other houses. I also have dogs so I would like for my pets to have room to run around.
Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 10:57 AM

1,519 posts, read 4,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaChaGirl View Post
I am also thinking of relocating to either Anna or Mckinney, TX. I currently live in Texarkana. I am from Milwaukee, WI but once I started having children, I didn't want to live in the big city.I would like to live closer to the DFW area but not right in the busy city. I am single with three children; two teenage boys and a toddler. I would like to be in an area that is considered safe. Exactly how far is Anna and Mckinney from Dallas? I am looking to buy a house so I don't want a house that's very close to other houses. I also have dogs so I would like for my pets to have room to run around.
Dallas is primarily a suburban city. Ironically, the congestion in the suburbs is much worse than the central city because everyone has to travel a long distance by car in the suburbs like McKinney and Anna. It feels like the Indy 500 when I travel up there. Additionally, the houses are incredibly close together on "postage stamp" lots. They look awkward five feet away from each other -- especially when they are next to an open cow pasture.

That is why I hang my hat in Dallas -- on a quiet suburban street -- a couple hundred feet away from a lake.

If you want to avoid the "busy city" just don't buy a condo in Uptown, Downtown, Junius Heights or Bishop Arts. Otherwise, the city of Dallas is quite suburban.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:30 PM

11,679 posts, read 21,250,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaChaGirl View Post
Anna is 50 miles from Dallas- or up to 1.5-2 hours away in traffic.

It really has nothing to do with Dallas except that the Dallas "ex-burbs" are creeping up north towards Anna now. Anna does not get many of the Dallas radio stations or even tv networks- it's that far away.

I see no reason to move from Texarkana to Anna- you'd probably not get into "the city" more than once every couple of months or so, and you can do that from where you live right now.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:16 PM

1,491 posts, read 4,548,411 times
Most of the houses in Anna (and Melissa) both have been built within the past 6-8 years....it is mainly a bedroom community (about 8000 people) but Anna does have a nice Brookshire's supermarket, a few little restaurants, dry cleaners, dentist, etc. They have both built some nice new schools and their academic rating is improving.

Because of foreclosures you can buy a house for much less than it was sold for new a few years ago...however, the houses are all crammed in together, tight parking so it might not be to your liking. No crime problems to speak of. Most of the people are new to the community. It's only about 15 minutes into McKinney, which is where most of the people work and shop.

If you are willing to move farther out, there are some homes with more space around them in the Van Alstyne area (5 miles north of Anna on Hwy 75)....nice hilly areas west of town on FM 121 (NOT Hwy 121) past the new jr. college...small acreages. I wish I had known about that area when we moved back to this part of the world a few years ago....it's a good location (halfway between McKinney and Sherman) and more room around the houses than the ones in any of the towns that had the building explosion a few years ago. Most of them are about $200-$300K. Check realtor.com. for availability and maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas