U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:29 AM

5 posts, read 8,634 times

Advertisements

I also need some help that runs along what is being discussed in this thread. I have a 5 year old and an 8 year old and we are moving to the area soon. I am trying to find out what the best 3 or 4 school districts are in the area so that I can tell my realtor where to begin looking (our price range is only about $200K). Can anyone give me their top three or four school choices where I might be able to find something in that range? I was leaning towards Plano (Skaggs, Wyatt, Mathews???) but am open to other suggestions as well. School is our #1 priority, even if we had to live in a smaller house. Our only criteria is that it needs to be within driving distance of Richardson as that is where my husband will be working. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 11:42 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,293,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedw View Post
where to begin looking (our price range is only about $200K).

Can anyone give me their top three or four school choices where I might be able to find something in that range? I was leaning towards Plano (Skaggs, Wyatt, Mathews???) but am open to other suggestions as well. School is our #1 priority, even if we had to live in a smaller house.

Our only criteria is that it needs to be within driving distance of Richardson as that is where my husband will be working. Thanks for any help you can provide.
All 3 of these have good schools and depending on WHERE in Richardson your husband will be working could be as short as a 5 minute commute to a 30 minute commute.

Richardson
Garland
Plano

They all 3 touch borders with each other and the school districts overlap city boundries. In some areas you can live IN Richardson and attend Plano schools. OR live IN Garland and be in a Richardson school area. All 3 will have houses in your price range. It will just depend on what amenities you want in a house and age of a house your looking at.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:57 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,801,619 times
Default Re:

As MomOf2DFW said, you can find that price range in any of the north suburban school districts.

As long as you're willing to make education a high priority at home, I think you'd be happiest in Plano ISD.

You should go in fully aware of the following: Plano ISD is chock-full of the kids of Chinese and Indian immigrants. Almost without fail, these kids are pushed EXTREMELY hard by their families. If your kid is going to spend more time on his mad video gaming, skateboarding, or shopping skillz than on his schoolwork, there will be a lot of anger and/or tears come middle school. Plano ISD does NOT mess around with their academic expectations.

I haven't pulled any listings, but my gut says you'd have a hard time finding a decent house in the Wyatt or Skaggs areas for $200K. Try looking in central Plano - Saigling and Daffron are exemplary/Blue Ribbon schools near Coit/Parker, and there are others as well. The chunk of Richardson in Plano ISD is another option.

The Plano ISD web site has a school finder - type in an address and it will tell you what schools that address is assigned to.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:51 PM

5 posts, read 8,634 times
Big G - Thanks for answering. That is exactly the type of specific info that I was hoping for. I have one child with attention issues that I am worried about (I am assuming that I would need to get some accomodations for him in the Plano school system), but my other child is academically strong. I am just trying to narrow down all of the good choices. I was looking at Wyatt/Skaggs because they fed into Rice, which is supposed to be the only exemplary middle school (trying to think ahead a bit). Any receommendations that anyone has for their top three or four school choices (and why they are your top choices) would be appreciated!!!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:28 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,293,118 times
Does your son excel at other things like the fine arts, math, science? If so then the Garland ISD might work since they have a GREAT magnet program. Same for your daughter that is very strong academically. What will help your son in these schools is they are much smaller with small classes and the entire school is focused on kids that are in these programs and some do have attention problems but they are super smart. Because the schools are geared solely for these kids they know how they behave and they are given a lot of hands on work to do. Most of them are Blue Ribbon. As for the TAKS ratings......... I do not put much stock in those as the way it is done is not the best. As I've explained on here before it is based on how the minority students do on the test. A small sub group of students can pull down a school that did very well on the test but those 5 students blocked it.

For the elem level these are the magnets:
Gift & Talented (academics) you have Hillside, Kimberlin and Walnut Glen.
Math & Science you have Beaver and Watson
Fine arts are at The Classical Center at Vial

Middle schools for these programs:
G&T is at Austin Academy
Math & Science at Jackson
Fine Arts are at Brandenburg

For high school they offer the IB program at Garland High School. North Garland has the math & science program.

My oldest is finishing up at Austin this year and headed to GHS for the IB program next year. She has been in the G&T program since kindergarten and I could not PAY for a better education at a prime private school.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:35 AM

53 posts, read 66,611 times
I grew up in Plano Schools and they have a great education for those that are academically strong and those that have special needs. Richardson schools used to be amongst the best, but over time with people moving farther north and Richardson becoming an inner ring suburb is seeing a slide in its quality. Pearce regularly used to be rated amongst the top 3 high schools in Dallas. I am unfamiliar with Garland schools, but do not remember hearing about them being the best.

Depending on where in Richardson your husband works may also have some impact on where you want to live, because Central Expressway (US 75) has horrendously bad traffic. This has improved somewhat with the DART rail, but whether this would be an option again depends on where he works. There are plenty of older homes with big trees in the southern part of Plano with some great schools with maybe the exception of Vines HS (which I attended). Shepherd, Weatherford, Jackson, and Saigling Elementary are all Blue Ribbon schools and the feeder schools (Wilson and Haggard) are rated great as well. When your kids get old enough they would then be able to attend Plano Senior HS which is usually rated the best senior high school in Plano and one of the best in Dallas and the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or