U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 AM

12 posts, read 21,422 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide me with information and/or opinions on the different Elementary & Middle schools within this district. We are locating here from TN in April and are very interested in this school district. We have several choices of homes to rent- just need to narrow this down as far as school location and the best choice of school...

ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS:
Austin
Cottonwood
Denton
Lakeside
Mockingbird
Pinkerton
Town Center
Valley Ranch
Wilson

MIDDLE SCHOOLS:
East
North
West

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 09:33 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,798,367 times
This is a list of local elementary schools that have a 10 rating on Great Schools:

Dallas, Texas Area School Information: Elementary Schools Who Have a 10 Rating from Greatschools.net - Nov. 2009

Have you looked at the Great Schools website? There's a comments section that can be really interesting.
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 02-23-2010, 09:46 AM

10 posts, read 39,328 times
Denton Creek and North are right next door to each other, on the west end of the Vistas of Coppell subdivision. We lived there six years ago. Great schools, and I have to add, an EXCELLENT family-friendly neighborhood! I would move back in a heartbeat if I could, but not many houses available there right now. Of course, other neighborhoods feed into those schools, but I am biased.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:19 PM

3,029 posts, read 10,628,275 times
Honestly I really don't think there is much difference. They are all good schools. Very much like Southlake, I really don't think you can go wrong with any school in Coppell or Southlake.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:36 PM

155 posts, read 428,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Honestly I really don't think there is much difference. They are all good schools. Very much like Southlake, I really don't think you can go wrong with any school in Coppell or Southlake.
I agree. I think they all have a pretty good reputation. The only one that may be a bit different is Valley Ranch Elementary since it is actually in the city of Irving but part of CISD. There tends to be a bit more diverse housing in Valley Ranch - apartments and homes at several different price points. That being said we know someone with kids at Valley Ranch Elementary and they really like it. If it were me I'd look for house I liked that had an elementary in or close to the neighborhood. Most in Coppell go to schools close your house, but there are a few exceptions with some parts of Irving and Coppell. You can see the attendence zones on the CISD website.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:01 AM

32 posts, read 152,661 times
Which schools Valley Ranch community kids will go. I think "Valley Ranch Elementary", "Barbara Bush middle", and Ranchview high.

the ratings on this middle school and high school is not that great. please confirm if these are the schools for vallery ranch community. if so is it posible to send to different schools(like coppel high school, coppel middle) from valley ranch community.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:49 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,628,275 times
If you attend a COPPELL elementary school you are in Coppell ISD and therefore will attend a Coppell MS (probably west) and Coppell HS.
(it is confusing here to new residents that the city and the school districts overlap) So while Valley Ranch is in the city of Irving it is in hte City of Coppell ISD. AND NOT all of Valley Ranch is in Coppell ISD.
(just as some neighborhoods in Coppell are not in the coppell ISD.

you can look up exact address or neighborhoods to see what schools they are zoned for on the ISD website...
Coppell Independent School District | Transportation (http://www.coppellisd.com/151610710164434920/blank/browse.asp?a=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&c=56280&1516107 10164434920Nav=|&NodeID=406 - broken link)

Old 02-24-2010, 08:37 PM

155 posts, read 428,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdrwp View Post
Which schools Valley Ranch community kids will go. I think "Valley Ranch Elementary", "Barbara Bush middle", and Ranchview high.

the ratings on this middle school and high school is not that great. please confirm if these are the schools for vallery ranch community. if so is it posible to send to different schools(like coppel high school, coppel middle) from valley ranch community.
Bush and Ranchview are both in Valley Ranch (Irving) but in the Carrolton-Farmer's Branch ISD.

Valley Ranch has quite a few apartments, especially in the Carrolton-Farmer's Branch ISD section (generally on the east side of MacArthur Blvd.) Coppell ISD serves a section of Valley Ranch (west side of MacArthur Blvd) and Valley Ranch Elementry is the only Coppell ISD school actually in Irving.

I believe that some of the newer homes in Valley Ranch on the CISD side also go to Mockingbird Elementary in Coppell. There is no Coppell middle school or high school in Irving/Valley Ranch - I think you'd go to Coppell middle school east and the Coppell HS - the only HS in town.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:15 PM

15 posts, read 47,122 times
Coppell ISD schools are pretty consistent so I don’t believe that any one particular school is going to be drastically better {or worse} than any other. Any school that your child attends in the ISD will be a very good school.

For one reason or another some schools tend to be more popular/ desirable than others. Lakeside, Mockingbird, Denton Creek and Town Center are all very popular and some might argue that they are slightly better schools compared to Valley Ranch Elm. Valley Ranch Elm often gets ranked below the others b/c many neighborhoods that feed into that school are in Valley Ranch & Irving City limits.

I hear many parents in Coppell say that they think that Coppell MS North & East are better than West. Not really sure if this is true but I do hear it mentioned every now and again.

As others have mentioned, Coppell school zoning is a little tricky. Avoid renting in any neighborhood around the Riverchase golf course. These neighborhoods usually have Riverchase in the neighborhood name. Houses in this neighborhood are Farmers Branch ISD. Also avoid Coppell Greens which is north of 121 near the Market Street grocery store. The neighborhood is zoned for Lewisville ISD.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:41 PM

285 posts, read 399,486 times
I am commenting on this in order to bump this back to the top of the thread list. Can anyone else shed light on differences among the Coppell middle schools? I know they are all excellent...just wondering if one is favored over another (perhaps because of an excellent principle, special programs, location, etc) and why. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or