U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2010, 04:27 PM

3 posts, read 13,646 times
Default South Dallas-nice areas

My husband got a job in South Dallas. I would like to know what are some nice suburbs that would be close to 35E and 20. I was looking at Duncanville. Is that a nice place for young 30 couple with 2 year old. We dont have a nightlife. I guess something safe, with new houses (we dont do charming old houses. ha), and a good commute to South Dallas. Thanks for all your help. I am not opposed to other areas if someone has other suggestions besides duncanville... THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 04:40 PM

3,949 posts, read 9,124,879 times
Desoto and Glen Heights have some really nice neighborhoods. What is your price range? There are several good builders in the areas.

Naima

Old 02-24-2010, 09:54 PM

93 posts, read 253,967 times
Check out Cedar Hill or North Oak Cliff.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:46 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,056,528 times
With regards to commute times and safety, Duncanville might be a suitable choice. It is, however, an inner-ring suburb of Dallas which experienced significant growth during the 1970s and 1980s and is now mostly built out. Compared with some of the surrounding suburbs, the city's housing stock is older on average. Only 38 percent of the homes in Duncanville were built after 1980, according to data from the Census Bureau's web site. There are a few areas in the city that have newer homes, but mature/established neighborhoods (some of which are very nice) dominate.

The following cities are located in the same general vicinity and are worth considering as well:

Cedar Hill (pop. 45,600) borders Duncanville to the south. The city sits on the eastern shore of Joe Pool Lake and hosts a popular state park. It is one of the most scenic parts of the Dallas-Fort Worth area with lots of trees and rolling hills similar to what is found in the "Hill Country" region of central Texas. Cedar Hill has developed into a major retail hub for the southern suburbs with an open-air mall, many 'big box' chain stores, and a number of restaurants. The city is ethnically and socio-economically diverse community, although most families are middle and upper-middle class. Unlike Duncanville, Cedar Hill's rapid growth began in the 1990s and it remains one of the fastest growing cities in Dallas County. Approximately 57 percent of the homes in the city were built after 1990 and 29 percent after 2000, so it wouldn't be that difficult to find a newer home there.

DeSoto (pop. 48,700), located east of Cedar Hill and just south of the I-35/I-20 interchange, is the largest suburb south of Dallas. I lived there from 1990 through 2006. It is a primarily residential, middle to upper middle class community. DeSoto has a wide range of housing choices that range from apartment complexes and typical starter homes to luxury "estate-type" homes in gated neighborhoods on the northwest side of the city. DeSoto's Town Center, which includes city hall, the public library, civic center, and recreation center, was recently transformed into a mixed-use area with the addition of retail, apartments, and offices. It is a nice, well-run city overall.

Lancaster (pop. 36,200) is situated east of DeSoto and southeast of the I-35/I-20 interchange. I moved here in 2006 and it is a nice place to live. After modest population growth in the 1990s, the city began to grow rapidly after 2000. Like Cedar Hill, Lancaster is one of the fastest growing communities in Dallas County. Home prices are quite affordable and that is one of the main reasons why a lot of people, myself included, chose to move here. Newly built subdivisions can be found throughout the city, along with older, well-kept neighborhoods. Despite all of the recent growth taking place across Lancaster, a sizable portion of the land within the city limits remains undeveloped, with some areas (especially on the southern side of town) appearing more rural than urban/suburban in appearance.

Glenn Heights (pop. 12,100) is located south of DeSoto along the Dallas/Ellis county border. The city has grown significantly in recent years, but you will have to travel to DeSoto, Lancaster, or Cedar Hill to shop for basic items such as groceries. When house hunting back in 2006, I looked at homes in several Glenn Heights neighborhoods that were very nice and reasonably priced.

Grand Prairie (pop. 168,500) is a large suburb located several miles west of Duncanville and Dallas. New home construction and retail development has taken place in the areas along and south of Interstate 20.

I hope you find this information helpful!

Once we know what your desired price range is and what amenities are most important to you and your family, we will be able to assist you further.

Last edited by Acntx; 02-25-2010 at 01:16 AM..

Old 02-25-2010, 11:16 AM

Hi, thanks! Wow. We would like to stay around $250,000. However, my parents are moving with us and need to stay in a price range of about $200,000.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:09 AM

3,680 posts, read 7,461,065 times
I would choose Cedar Hill, Desoto or Grand Prairie. The Creek Crossing area of Mesquite would also be a possibility although the majority of the housing top out at about 200k.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:50 PM

Cool, many thanks to all. Thanks for the private messages too. Are their nice non-big box places to eat in the subs or do we go to Dallas for that? We love big-box and independent owned restaurants.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:34 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,056,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorfamilyfun View Post
Cool, many thanks to all. Thanks for the private messages too. Are their nice non-big box places to eat in the subs or do we go to Dallas for that? We love big-box and independent owned restaurants.
There are independently-owned "mom and pop" restaurants in the southern suburbs along with well-known chains. In Cedar Hill, there's a mix of both types, although chains dominate. Here in Lancaster, we have quite a few independent or family-owned establishments and fewer chains. It varies from suburb to suburb. There is a wonderful selection of restaurants within the city of Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas