U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 09:02 PM

26 posts, read 57,901 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I've been living in Florida for over 40 years. Haven't lived anywhere else since age 5. And in truth, haven't travelled much outside Florida or within the U.S. Nevertheless, we're making the move to Texas in a few months. My husband will be working in Lewisville.

I've been reading a few threads here and there and frankly, I'm more than a little confused and almost a bit frightened when I read the ones on quality home manufacturers (or lack of quality), and property tax increases.

So, dazed and confused, I'm asking for help. We would like to move into a nice area/suburb, but where there is some land (since we've never had any!) also, and hopefully no Homeowner's Association. We're hoping to keep the commute to work to a minimum if at all possible. Any suggestions as to towns/cities? Also, could someone explain the property tax thing to me? It's really confusing me and freaking me out. If we buy a home, which are the better homebuilders we should be looking at?

Lastly, my husband will be moving out before the rest of the family. We will follow after all loose ends are tied and done. He plans on renting a small efficiency or 1 bedroom apt. around the Lewisville area till the rest of us come out there. Can anyone recommend a not too pricey apt. development, preferably furnished, pet friendly, within the Lewisville area?

I know I'm asking a lot, and I truly beg your indulgence, but as a Texan friend of mine always tells me: "It's better to know than not know," and I won't know unless I ask. Thanks in advance for your help and patience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 04:29 AM

709 posts, read 3,167,579 times
Somerset on Corporate might be reasonable... not a new property but stll maintained well from the outside from what I can see when I drive by. I lived there for 12 years back in the late 80's and 90's before I married and moved into my ex's home. No garage, though.

Bella Vida @Coyote Ridge (has web site) which is in Carrollton on the edge of Lewisville, quite near 121 tollway and I35 near Vista Ridge Mall in Lewisville (Hunt Drive and Hebron area)etc... might have something. New management as of late and not sure what deals they are offering. Never hurts to check. Garage on every apt. Also has access to the golf club. Some major companies are right down the street so I'm guessing he would be at one of those major companies and this definitely has easy access to most of those companies.
Good luck with your move. :-)

There are many newer divisions in the Carrollton, Lewisville area. Most have homeowner associations. My brother and his wife live off 3040 in Lewisville and have a newer home (10 years) and I dont' think they have a homeowners but the neighborhood is maintained very nicely. Flowermound homes may offer you more land options... pricely area but very nice. Homestead in Carrollton has homes with some land. I'd bet though they have a homeowners association. You'll find some posters really talk down Carrollton but honestly the northern end is quite nice and I have numerous friends that live in this area. They are all pleased with their homes. Castle Hills also is quite nice, however I'm not sure if any of the homes have large yards and I can bet they have an association too. I'll have to ask one of my co-hearts about this as she lives there. Castle Hills has a Lewisville address and is on the edge of North Carrollton. Old Denton/121 area.
As far as apartments go...There are many older complexes on Corporate that might offer something as well.All these apartments are located close to many companies as well and they are located between 121 Business and I35. They are also easily reached by 3040 which is the road Vista Ridge Mall is located off of.

Last edited by sonshinelife; 06-01-2007 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: revising

Old 06-01-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshinelife View Post
Somerset on Corporate might be reasonable... not a new property but stll maintained well from the outside from what I can see when I drive by. I lived there for 12 years back in the late 80's and 90's before I married and moved into my ex's home. No garage, though.

Bella Vida @Coyote Ridge (has web site) which is in Carrollton on the edge of Lewisville, quite near 121 tollway and I35 near Vista Ridge Mall in Lewisville (Hunt Drive and Hebron area)etc... might have something. New management as of late and not sure what deals they are offering. Never hurts to check. Garage on every apt. Also has access to the golf club. Some major companies are right down the street so I'm guessing he would be at one of those major companies and this definitely has easy access to most of those companies.
Good luck with your move. :-)

There are many newer divisions in the Carrollton, Lewisville area. Most have homeowner associations. My brother and his wife live off 3040 in Lewisville and have a newer home (10 years) and I dont' think they have a homeowners but the neighborhood is maintained very nicely. Flowermound homes may offer you more land options... pricely area but very nice. Homestead in Carrollton has homes with some land. I'd bet though they have a homeowners association. You'll find some posters really talk down Carrollton but honestly the northern end is quite nice and I have numerous friends that live in this area. They are all pleased with their homes. Castle Hills also is quite nice, however I'm not sure if any of the homes have large yards and I can bet they have an association too. I'll have to ask one of my co-hearts about this as she lives there. Castle Hills has a Lewisville address and is on the edge of North Carrollton. Old Denton/121 area.
As far as apartments go...There are many older complexes on Corporate that might offer something as well.All these apartments are located close to many companies as well and they are located between 121 Business and I35. They are also easily reached by 3040 which is the road Vista Ridge Mall is located off of.
Thanks, sonshinelife! Though truthfully all the geography and highway information you just gave me is the equivalent of a foregin language to me right now, I'm sure once we get out there with our map and GPS in tow, we'll have a much better perspective of what you are talking about!
I do sincerely appreciate your help, as well as anyone else whose willing to volunteer information here! After all, if you're going to make a move somewhere, who better to ask than the people who already live there, right?
Thanks, again!

Old 06-03-2007, 03:44 PM

Ok. So I spoke to an Insurance agent out in Lewisville - referred to me by my agent here in Florida. They told me that if I'm looking for some land (a couple of acres), that I might still be able to find some in the following areas, but they couldn't give me any information as to whether they are nice areas or not. Can anyone (or everyone! ) out there give me their opinions? Here are the cities/towns they mentioned:

Krum, Argyle, Pilot Point, Sanger and Aubrey. They also said that there might still be some areas of Denton (the city), Plano and Frisco that have homes with acreage. Lastly, they said that Flowermound is also nice, a bit pricey but the commute to Lewisville might be a bit difficult.

Can anyone give me the scoop? Much appreciated!
I gotta tell you guys, I'm so excited about moving, I can hardly stand it! It will be so nice to start somewhere new, meet new people, etc. I've been to Grapevine and San Antonio for a couple of days each, and I was overwhelmed by how nice Texans are. I remember when Florida was like that, long, long ago.....

Old 06-03-2007, 07:28 PM

9,825 posts, read 20,517,988 times
Those communities are a LONG DRIVE from Lewisville, especially in a rush-hour commute! Anything that involves crossing the I-35E Lake Lewsiville bridge is going to be pretty bad for the commute, and all of those (except Argyle) involve crossing the bridge. Flower Mound isn't too far away but there are only a few roads in/out so the traffic can be bad.

AFAIK, there is no acreage in Plano, as it is pretty much built out. That would also be an awful commute to Lewisville.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:31 PM

709 posts, read 3,167,579 times
Sorry about my original post. I get carried away sometimes. LOL! You'll get use to road system when you get here. It is actually pretty easy to get around the whole area in comparison to other places I've visited.

I have to agree with ChristieP about the long commute from most of the places you mentioned. However, all of the above offer some beautiful land opportunities. I have friends in Krum and they have a few acres for horses and they love raising their family there.

Pilot Point is beautiful area as well as Sanger area. Many horse farms/ranches (I'm a city girl and am not quite sure what the appropriate term is- LOL!) and absolutely beautiful.

Flowermound is built up quite a bit but there may be some land on the far northwest corner. The experts certainly could help you with this. I can't imagine the drive would be all that bad in comparison to the other places you mentioned. I think there is an area called Double Oak or something like that near Flowermound that might offer some land opportunites as well.

Goodluck!

Last edited by sonshinelife; 06-03-2007 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: revising

Old 06-04-2007, 06:45 AM

Oh, sonshinelife, I'm not at ALL complaining about your post! LOL If anything, I'm grateful for all the information I can get! Whether I understand it at the moment or not is completely irrelevant, as I know that once I get there and 'tool around' in my lil' ole car, I'll HAVE to figure things out, or I'll be living by the side of the road till I can find my way to where I'm going! LOL

I appreciate yours and ChristieP's information and knowledge on this subject. So, basically, if we want some land in any of those areas mentioned, we're going to have to prepare for a lengthy commute! The next two questions would be then:

1. what is considered a lengthy commute, in approximate time frames?
For example, currently, barring any unforeseen accidents on the highway, my husband travels approx. 25 minutes each way to work. If there's a disabled vehicle or accident, it could easily take up to an hour.

2. what nice areas would you recommend we do look at, where there might be homes with some acreage still available?
Keep in mind it does not have to be a brand new home. We don't have an issue with that and frankly, we've owned 4 properties during our married life and not one of them has been brand new. We've had to go in and rennovate in each and every home, so it's not a big deal. So long as all the basics are covered, we're good with it: Sound foundation and structure, good roof, sound electrical (gas), plumbing, no wood rot, no major damage, stuff like that....

Any suggestions? I get the feeling I should pull out my Texas map right now! LOL Thanks! You guys are great!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:51 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,563,713 times
Plano isn't all built out yet. And there are some areas with 5 - 10 acre lots that are older homesteads. The problem becomes that most of those areas are quite expensive. There's a 10 acre lot with a single family home across from Carpenter rec center on Coit Rd. The land is valued around 800,000, which is well outside the average person's price range.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
Plano isn't all built out yet. And there are some areas with 5 - 10 acre lots that are older homesteads. The problem becomes that most of those areas are quite expensive. There's a 10 acre lot with a single family home across from Carpenter rec center on Coit Rd. The land is valued around 800,000, which is well outside the average person's price range.
WOW!!! You aren't kiddin'! Way out of our price range for sure! Well, hopefully there will be more suggestions from all these lovely Texans as to where else we can look and something just right will come along.....

Old 06-04-2007, 05:31 PM

9,825 posts, read 20,517,988 times
I consider a lengthy commute as anything over 45 minutes each way in "normal" traffic. (I drive 30 minutes each way, and that is about the max I can handle!)

Unfortunately, to get acreage near Lewisville, you will pay a small fortune. The alternative is to drive a long way to work and waste most of your day in your car in traffic...

The Pilot Point/Tioga/Aubrey area is known as "horse show row" and it is full of professional horse farms. Therefore, any available land that isn't already part of one of these farms is very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or