Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:07 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,626,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post

Texan hyperbole and braggadocio knows no bounds. DFW is a large metro area that offers many benefits, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

I've always fancied Dallas as a bigger OKC with more money and better shopping, but Mini-London or Mini-Paris? Not in this lifetime
I agree in part with youre statement. Dallas is no Paris or London. They arent even similar.

But Dallas offers alot more than Oklahoma City besides just the shopping.

No offense to OKC. I actually think Oklahoma City is a very underrated placee. Its just hard to compare a metro area with 6.5 mil to one of 1.5 mil.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 AM

965 posts, read 1,876,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I agree in part with youre statement. Dallas is no Paris or London. They arent even similar.

But Dallas offers alot more than Oklahoma City besides just the shopping.

No offense to OKC. I actually think Oklahoma City is a very underrated placee. Its just hard to compare a metro area with 6.5 mil to one of 1.5 mil.

Of course Dallas offers more than just good shopping. No disputing that. I was being sort of facetious. I could've said Kansas City too, which reminds me of a mini-Dallas in many ways.

Dallas/Ft. Worth is on the up-and-up with their cultural offerings.

If we're comparing Dallas to European cities, I think that Frankfurt, Brussels or Milan would be a more accurate comparison than Paris or London. Dallas just doesn't have the substance (let alone the amenities) of a London or Paris.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:31 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,626,473 times
Quote:
Of course Dallas offers more than just good shopping. No disputing that. I was being sort of facetious. I could've said Kansas City too, which reminds me of a mini-Dallas in many ways.

If we're comparing Dallas to European cities, I think that Frankfurt, Brussels or Milan would be a more accurate comparison than Paris or London. Dallas just doesn't have the substance (let alone the amenities) of a London or Paris.
Actually I think Frankfurt is perfect European comparrison for Dallas. Its a city thats has culture, but it isnt know for its culture. Its a city that most centers around business and got to be the size it is because of its economy (like Dallas). Its also quite an international city like Dallas, but its not a London or Paris.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:47 AM

32 posts, read 61,409 times
Dallas was always underrated until recently having been one of the few cities to weather the economic storm with low unemployment, economic growth and low housing prices. I live in San Diego and have been all around LA, I see DFW as comparable to LA in size and sprawl. While not having world famous neighborhoods like Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, etc (which are prohibitively expensive for the middle class), Dallas or DFW has plenty of areas with their own character. The way I see it, the mountains and ocean are great to look at, but how many of you actually ENJOY them during the day to day slog of life? All the extra taxes and high housing costs do not make it worth it IMO in the long run if you are a regular person in the middle income bracket. Forget about mountains and ocean for a second, and DFW has all the amenities any Californian city has, and the low cost of living means you'll have more disposable income to enjoy them and the other finer things in life (like travel) more.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:27 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,302,665 times
Hell no! Dallas's civic leaders definitely tout their city's advantages when it comes to attracting business and commerce to the area, but they also don't create contrived illusions about Dallas being an outdoorsman's paradise or a major tourist mecca. Rather its consistently promoted as a place that offers low costs for doing business, decent--yet affordable--standard of living, mild winters, and all of the amenities of a major city (airport, professional sports, infrastructure, etc.). In this regard, Dallas is far from over-rated and actually holds true to the hype.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:12 AM

341 posts, read 1,015,636 times
Quote:
I've always fancied Dallas as a bigger OKC with more money and better shopping, but Mini-London or Mini-Paris? Not in this lifetime
And there's nothing wrong with OKC, absolutely nothing. Great people in that fine American city.
But of course Dallas is the consumate Texas city and that alone gives it pop culture status and renown at the national level, but it's certainly not in the same stratus as London or Paris. In our country only NYC, Chicago, LA, and perhaps SanFran are truly world-class metro areas.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:50 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,989,729 times
I've lived in a number of places,and Dallas isn't bad at all.Kind of nice really for people not wallowing in self pity and hatred for a place.But then I never though any place I lived sucked.I always had friends and enjoyed wherever I was at.Some are better than others,but none made me miserable.It is a sign of immaturity to not be able to adjust to life in whatever surroundings you are in short of abject misery via grinding poverty,daily violence,etc,such as Haiti or in the middle of the drug war along the border.

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 03-04-2010 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: edited out quote from post that was deleted and comments related thereto

Old 03-01-2010, 03:19 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,370,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
I've lived in a number of places,and Dallas isn't bad at all.Kind of nice really for people not wallowing in self pity and hatred for a place.But then I never though any place I lived sucked.I always had friends and enjoyed wherever I was at.Some are better than others,but none made me miserable.It is a sign of immaturity to not be able to adjust to life in whatever surroundings you are in short of abject misery via grinding poverty,daily violence,etc,such as Haiti or in the middle of the drug war along the border.

It's a sign of immaturity to not just give in and accept a place you don't like? Right.

Ad I'm obviously totally miserable since I bought a house and have a nice job and friends and all the other stuff. Doesn't change the fact that Texas sucks and isn't as great a place to live as so many say it is. One can be happy with some aspects of their lives and not so much with others. That's how mature people work.

I will still come around and offer my opinion to counterbalance the horde of people who are convinced that no other state equals Texas in awesomeness. It's an amazing blend of arrogance and ignorance that people here are afflicted with.

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 03-04-2010 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: deleted out quotes that were deleted and comments related thereto

Old 03-01-2010, 04:44 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,049,866 times
Quote:

Texan hyperbole and braggadocio knows no bounds. DFW is a large metro area that offers many benefits, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

DFW is 6 1/2 times the size of OKC, and 2/3 the size of metro Chicago. 90% of what you can get in Chicago, you can get in DFW. And cheaper as well.

By way of comparison, DFW is closer in size to Chicago than Chicago is to New York.

Comparing OKC to DFW is like comparing San Antonio to NYC.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:54 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,049,866 times
Quote:

Of course it is true that London as a national capital and world financial center, as well as a more populous metro, is stronger than DFW. No one said otherwise. The same is true for Paris.

But one poster thinks that they need mountains and beaches.

in the opinion of Nunusguy, London, Paris and DFW have something in common; they are all equally dull and worthless, since they do not have those aforesaid mountains and beaches.

I've been to Brussels. It cannot compare to DFW in terms of size or offerings. It just doesn't have the population.

But back to the question. Is nunusguy correct? Do you evaluate a city based on mountains and beaches? Or do you judge it by its degree of urban offerings?

Last edited by aceplace; 03-01-2010 at 06:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas